Motherboard tier list: Z87 chipset

Z87 chipset

Intel’s 8 series OCable chipset, though already succeeded by 9 series, it’s still a good choice if you get the deal, M.2 being the only missing link, it has all the other powerful features. Being 4th gen’s first OCable series, it has all sorts of boards, from enthusiast level to basic. Look at Tier description for more info.

Key:

Red: MSI
Blue: ASROCK
Green: GIGABYTE
Gold: ASUS
Black: EVGA

Tier One-Class A: Extreme Enthusiast Level. 4 Way SLI supported, power packed with superb VRMs and thermals for extreme OCing, all premium features, these boards are the best Z87 you’ll get in the market. Extreme boards shall be a right term to define them. You can’t go wrong quality wise, they’re solid boards.

Note: The 4 Way SLI on this chipset is not as effective as in X99 due to 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU (vs 28 in i7 5800 or 40 in 5900 series,ie, X99), even after usage of PLX chips.

XPOWER
Z87X OC FORCE
MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
Z87-WS
Classified
G1.SNIPER 5 (not the mATX version)
OC Force
Extreme11/ac

Tier One-Class B: Enthusiast Level. Premium featured MoBos with SLI capability, M.2 and enough power to run any current CPUs with very high-extreme OCing capabilities. Just a step lower than Extreme Enthusiast boards, they’re no less than feature laden. Solid quality, shall serve you long.

GRYPHON
MAXIMUS VI GENE/ HERO/ FORMULA
Z87X-OC
UD5H (TH as well)
Z87-FTW
Z87-Pro (V edition as well)
OC Formula (AC and mATX versions included)
MPOWER (MAX AC edition included)
EXTREME6
G1.Sniper M5 (Z5S edition as well)
G1.Sniper Z87

Tier Two: High end. Great MoBos, SLI capable with good enough thermals and power to take up any CPU, not the best for extreme OCing but do OC very well. Have many premium features as well. Quality is good, no known persistent issues.

Z87M GAMING
Z87-A (NFC as well)
Extreme3
G55
G45 Gaming
Fatal1ty Z87 Killer
Extreme4
GD65 GAMING

Tier Three: Mid range. Crossfire Capable MoBos with SATA III for budget oriented gamers. Power phases and thermals are not awesome, still decent for everyday use and some decent OCing, but not with the highest TDP CPUs. Have all the standard features. Quality is decent; OCing ability is moderate for most boards.

G41 PC Mate
Z87M-Plus
Z87 Pro4 (mATX version as well)
G43 Gaming (mATX edtion as well)
Z87-C

Honorable mention: Z87I DELUXE and Z87I GAMING, these MoBos are premium Mini-ITX MoBos with superb power phases.

Tier Four: Basic Motherboards. They have all the basic features, ie., atleast 2 DIMMs, one x16 slot, SATA 3 with USB 3.0 headers. Suited for gamers on tight budget and mainstream general-purpose users. Don’t expect high performance in terms of OCing, they are fine only with stock speeds. Not suitable for high end builds. Average quality, but fine for OCing lower TDP CPUs like Pentium.

PRO3
Z87I AC
Z87 DS3H

NOTE: This thread is a part of the article series 'Motherboard tier list'.
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard tier list z87 chipset
  1. Can you change the color on ASUS? Maybe it is just my monitor but it is really hard to read that.
  2. Thaisnang said:
    Can you change the color on ASUS? Maybe it is just my monitor but it is really hard to read that.

How does it look now?
  3. MeteorsRaining said:
    Thaisnang said:
    Can you change the color on ASUS? Maybe it is just my monitor but it is really hard to read that.

How does it look now?

Would've preferred abit more dark but I can atleast read it now.
  4. Tried that out, it's looking awful over blue background, couldn't even see it properly. This is brighter but atleast visible over blue.
  5. MeteorsRaining said:
    Tried that out, it's looking awful over blue background, couldn't even see it properly. This is brighter but atleast visible over blue.

Yeah, it is fine. Good luck with this tier list.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Overclocking Motherboards Chipsets