The Motherboard tier list - page 2

88 answers Last reply
  1. I can go till $180 for mobo. So price is not a parameter until reaches my limit. Between those two mobos which one is best on performance side??
    Reply to Lokesh_Dev
  2. They are about equal. They have similar features and performance. Personally, I like the Gigabyte boards better myself, but there really isn't much to not like about the ASUS either. The ASUS Z170-Pro Gaming, ASUS Z170 Hero VIII and Gigabyte Z170-Gaming 7 are all a bit more money, but are very good choices as well. If you don't need any specific features offered on those boards and don't plan to do any serious overclocking (Medium-ish overclocking is ok) then I'd just go with the two boards already mentioned.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  3. How about MSI z170 M5 ??
    Reply to Lokesh_Dev
  4. I can't honestly say as I haven't worked with or read any reviews on that board model yet.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  5. As far as i i am aware, the motherboard Tier list is not about quality of the motherboards, rather of the order that the third party components such intel deliver their chipset to
    Tier 1 get them first and so on
    Reply to blowupsheep
  6. NO, that's not what the tier list is. It's about quality, features and thermal capabilities.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  7. any plans to update this list?
    Reply to Karsten75
  8. Probably not, unless I decide to tackle it at some point. I don't know what happened to Meteorsraining, but after multiple attempts by PM and by email to contact him, it seems like either something has happened in his personal life or something happened here that left him disgruntled. I'm not sure either way, but I didn't get so much as an "I've just got a lot going on right now" so I don't expect to see any changes happening to this thread anytime soon. More's the pity.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  9. Darkbreeze i'm looking for a good gaming mobo and i ended up with MSI Z170A Gaming Pro and ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming..Which one do you think is better? :)
    Reply to Jovan123
  10. Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5, Z170 Pro Gaming or ASUS Z170-A if you want the better of the budget options. In reality, the MSI board is probably fine too, I just don't particularly like MSI motherboards from past experiences. I know they are not like they used to be, but it's trained behavior.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  11. Wow you put a lot of work into this, thank you this list is amazing. :)
    Reply to ExtremelyGeeky
  12. I did not see a class for the new socket that Intel has released, the LGA1151. Do you have any plans to add them to the list?
    Reply to evoporto
  13. If you read a few posts back, you'll see that has already been answered.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  14. this really is a great post, gave me great place to start when I built a system last year. The power supply post too, I think I'll go thank them also!
    Reply to dware22
  15. Glad to hear it.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  16. darkbreeze said:
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 5, Z170 Pro Gaming or ASUS Z170-A if you want the better of the budget options. In reality, the MSI board is probably fine too, I just don't particularly like MSI motherboards from past experiences. I know they are not like they used to be, but it's trained behavior.

Dark Breeze,

I was looking at the Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI and the Asus Z170-A. Any thoughts or experience on these motherboards?
    For my local store, the Gigabyte Z170XP is about $35 cheaper than the Asus Z170-A.

Thanks in advance
    Reply to irvchan
  17. I'd go with the Gigabyte Z170x-Gaming 5 in that price range. The Z170-A and AR are very good boards for the price too. Whichever is less expensive or matches your color scheme better if you have one, is fine. Both the Gaming 5 and A are excellent budget overclocking boards.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  18. darkbreeze said:
    I'd go with the Gigabyte Z170x-Gaming 5 in that price range. The Z170-A and AR are very good boards for the price too. Whichever is less expensive or matches your color scheme better if you have one, is fine. Both the Gaming 5 and A are excellent budget overclocking boards.

Darkbreeze, thanks for your quick feedback! Just out of curiosity how does the gigabyte z170-xp fit in there? Currently the XP is about $30 cheaper than the z170-gaming 5 and even cheaper than Asus z170-A. Is there a big difference between gigabytes gaming 5 and XP model in terms of build quality and features? Sorry this is my first build and am trying to get the right one!
    Reply to irvchan
  19. The XP-SLI is ok if your budget dictates a slightly cheaper board. Seems that board overclocks ok, but has fewer power phases than boards slightly more expensive, and doesn't have the greatest UEFI BIOS, lacking some features like advanced fan controls. Overall, it's probably fine unless you're nitpicky like many of us are. I think the difference in price is justified going with the Z170-A or Gaming 5, but only because I know specifically what I have to have and what I don't. For you, it's probably ok.

It has everything else you'd expect, like an additional CPU_OPT fan header for water cooling and 3 system fan headers. I kind of like to see four system fan headers in addition to the CPU and CPU_OPT headers, but even the gaming 5 only has that many so it's really kind of a Gigabyte thing on the Z170 mid class boards. I'm sure you'll be fine with any of those boards.

I did see mention of a bios bug related to memory on the XP-SLI though, so you might want to make sure that has already been addressed in a bios update before purchasing that model.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  20. Where are the X79 chipsets? Although the Sandy-bridge processors are becoming a bit dated and lack the graphics capability's of Haswell processors they provide a viable alternative for business work stations.
    Reply to Randy_27
  21. They were never completed and the author of this thread has never come back. Don't expect to see this anytime soon, or ever for that matter.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  22. Last update over a year ago... should this still be a sticky?
    Reply to TehPenguin
  23. Still PLENTY of people buying AM3+, LGA 1150 and X99 platforms, so yeah, I guess it should.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  24. I take your word for it.
    Reply to TehPenguin
  25. Nice reading. Thanks for sharing.
    Reply to jay_rogers
  26. Have had a recent bad experience with ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboards... not sure if i just got 3 bad ones in a row (poor finish quality, scratches, smudges, burns, weird finger prints, Standby power led blinking and not even turning on, dead USB Controller), and am wondering if there is another motherboard in same price range 145-160 euro (netherlands) that offers the same performance and stability.

i thought the best choice was the ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, or just ASUS in general, part of me still does, but maybe i just need reassurance that my initial ASUS brand choice is good, if anyone can suggest another ASUS model that would also be appreciated.

Intel I5-6600K
    ASUS GTX 960
    8gb (2x4gb) LPX 2133mhz
    Seasonic M12II evo
    Plans to OC? not right now, and not for atleast a year or 2
    usage, Games mostly.
    Reply to Merreck
  27. Sounds like you're getting used or refurbished boards. ASUS "IS" a good, reliable brand in my experience. I try to stick to ASUS and Gigabyte boards, but will opt for an ASRock board if the price is right. I avoid MSI as I've had too many issues with their boards in the past and while they may have improved their quality control, I have a bad taste in my mouth from past experiences.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  28. darkbreeze said:
    Sounds like you're getting used or refurbished boards. ASUS "IS" a good, reliable brand in my experience. I try to stick to ASUS and Gigabyte boards, but will opt for an ASRock board if the price is right. I avoid MSI as I've had too many issues with their boards in the past and while they may have improved their quality control, I have a bad taste in my mouth from past experiences.

I have pictures to show you what i found on the 2 factory fresh motherboards... i thought the same about ASUS myself... till this crap happened... im getting my fourth board today, they said its fresh from a new batch of mobos directly from the supplier... not sure on how and where to post the pictures should you be interested in seeing then.... however i can guarantee 2 outta 3 were not refurbished or used units.
    Reply to Merreck
  29. Then I think you just have extremely bad luck, and should write the following letter to God.

"Dear Motherboard Gods, why do you hate me.

Thanks,
    Merreck."

Of course, aside from the fact that you're seeing physical issues on the boards themselves, I'd say that normally we'd be pretty sure that your problem is something OTHER than the board.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  30. Your half page post was deleted. This is not the place for that. Start a thread and post it there. I'll PM you the contents of your post so you don't have to start from scratch.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  31. When will LGA 1151 be added?

I will be building several computers for friends soon, and I appreciate having professional and expert opinions on the tech I'm putting in their systems. Pretty much every system will be Skylake.
    Reply to van Rhyn
  32. As I keep saying, if you read back a page or two, you'll realize that in all probability, it won't, ever.
    Reply to darkbreeze
  33. http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-rampage-v-edition-10-review,1.html

I really like the layout of this motherboard. Unless there's an issue I'm missing, this layout should be copied going forward. Also, the sata connections finally make sense compared to the horrible options that have been around for most of the present generation.

Update: BTW the thing costs $589, so it's not for everyone, including me.

Update 2: EATX 12 x 10.7
    Reply to manleysteele
  34. I'm currently spending far too much of my time looking at motherboards and trying to decide what I want!

The setup I'm going to have will be something like:-

Intel I5-6600K
    ASUS Strix GTX 1070
    16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (Kingston Fury)

I'll be using it for gaming and would like the ability to OC (although I have no experience with OCing, so a board which makes this easier would be a bonus)

The motherboards I've got on the shortlist are Asus Pro Gaming Aura (to go with the AURA on the 1070) / Asus Maximus VIII Hero (to go with the AURA on the 1070) / ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Professional Gaming i7 / ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ / Gigabyte Z170X 5.

My top choices would be either of the Asus boards to match the RGB on the GPU, unless there is a huge amount of difference on performance / features between the listed boards.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Reply to ChumpBender
  35. If you head over to UserBenchmark and use their build comparison, you can choose your parts and put them against the other using the benchmark results of people who have those products. If you strictly want to know about overclocking capability then leave out everything but the motherboard and cpu. That will give you a larger pool of information to view. Keeping it to the two also avoids narrowing things down to where you can't find a comparable system with those parts. If you want to know how ram performs based on the motherboard you may try those two together as well.
    Give it a shot.
    Reply to van Rhyn
  36. Darkbreeze,
    Please update this tier list. You are a mod, so you can edit posts, right?
    Also Meteor won't care even if you update this list because he/she won't be visiting this site anyways.
    Reply to RedLine05
  37. Best guide, this is the reason why I like Tom's Hardware!
    Reply to Seeking_Gamer_2
  38. No AM4 list?
    Reply to Bungle11
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Chipsets Intel AMD CPUs Motherboards Asus