Solved

Converting an old Dell Inspiron into a Steam Machine; need help with upgrading hardware!

Okay, so my grandmother recently gave me her (semi)old Dell Inspiron 537 (manual here), and since I already have a computer (a rather decent mid-range gaming rig), I thought that I would use it as a streaming box, for Steam, Netflix, Amazon Instant, etcetera... (will eventually probably install the Steam OS on it) and I wanted to upgrade the RAM and video card to improve overall performance. I want to up the RAM from 2x1GB to 2x2GB, and put in a video card that outputs HDMI.

So here's my question: given the model of desktop, what kind of RAM do I need to get (DDR, DDR2, or DDR3?), and what would be a good, affordable video card (preferably Nvidia) to use in this system? (I'm thinking about something like the GT 620 or 730, something along those lines...)

Desktop's current specs (as far as I know):
Intel Celeron 450 (@ 2.20GHz)
2GB of RAM (not sure what kind)
300GB Hard Drive
300W PSU (I think; was not able to verify)
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about converting dell inspiron steam machine upgrading hardware
  1. Best answer
    G41 chipset takes either DDR2 or DDR3. It varies by the board.

You wioll need a better CPU though. Celeron = cut down P4 = epic suck
  2. smeezekitty said:
    G41 chipset takes either DDR2 or DDR3. It varies by the board.

You wioll need a better CPU though. Celeron = cut down P4 = epic suck

So could you by any chance help me figure out which one it is, DDR2 or DDR3 (the manual I linked has motherboard information on it, I believe, but it is beyond me to decipher it) And do you have any processor suggestions that work with the same socket?
  3. No recommendations for video card?
  4. The inspiron 537 I found was different. Maybe try the crucial scanner?
  5. smeezekitty said:
    The inspiron 537 I found was different. Maybe try the crucial scanner?

Alright, I'll give that a shot and let you know what it comes up with!

Also, I found an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 for $17, is that a good replacement to the Celeron?
  6. Eirreann said:
    smeezekitty said:

OK
    Quote:

Also, I found an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 for $17, is that a good replacement to the Celeron?

The Core 2 Duo is MUCH better. Probably 30-40% faster per core
    In a multithreaded programs that might be a 140-180% increase with two cores.

But you should check to make sure the board supports it.
  7. smeezekitty said:
    Eirreann said:
    smeezekitty said:

OK
    Quote:

The Core 2 Duo is MUCH better. Probably 30-40% faster per core
    In a multithreaded programs that might be a 140-180% increase with two cores.

But you should check to make sure the board supports it.

As far as I could tell it does... Socket 775, which is what I have... but again, I'm not as knowledgeable with all of this stuff, so is there any detail beyond the socket type and power draw that would make it incompatible?
Ask a new question

Read More

Steam Machine Memory Streaming Graphics Dell Inspiron Graphics Cards