Need Upgrading Advice (<$1000, 4 year old PC)

Hello Guys,

Approximate Purchase Date: This week.
Budget Range: <$1000, maximum value for each dollar, the cheaper the better.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: working with big PostgreSQL db's, Gaming, Streaming, Movies
Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard 100%, Video card 99%, Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600Mhz RAM 99%, everything else I'm not sure
Do you need to buy OS: Yes. (OEM :( )
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Salidzini.lv (collection of e-stores and their prices)
Parts Preferences: Intel, GeForce
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Have no clue.
Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440, but planning to buy a 2nd one with 1920x1080.

My current situation is that I need to get a new motherboard and I thought that I might upgrade rest of the PC as well. What should I get? I want to be able to enjoy latest games on High settings and be able to stream them at the same time (need an additional capture card?).

I'd like to find a middle ground in keeping as many parts as possible while pushing for performance. In short, I'd like to get maximum value. What would be your advice?

My Current PC:
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-LE
CPU: Intel i5-2500k @3.30GHz
Cooler: CoolerMaster, can't tell the exact model (looks like Hyper 212 Plus)
Memory: Kingston 2x4gb @1333Mhz and Kingston HyperX 2x4gb @1600Mhz (which run @1333Mhz and for some reason equal to 12gb Ram total in the System Tab, I guess I messed up with buying additional ram this year...)
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
PowerSupply: Seasonic SS-560KM, 560w
Case: http://images.newtechnology.co.in/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/Cooler-Master-1.jpg (with 2 fans running slow, tried cleaning with a brush and a vacuum cleaner, didn't help)
Some DVD drive: Keeping it.

+1TB Hdd and 128gb SSD (which 4 years ago showed 7+ mark in Windows Disk data transfer rate and now it's 5.9)

Thank you
14 answers Last reply
More about upgrading advice 1000 year
  1. Your pc is not even that weak, why do you want to upgrade? But if you must, upgrade your graphics card only, R9 285 will fit the bill nicely while you eventually gather up 1500$ for a monster PC that will trash everything!
  2. As I said in the OP, I need to buy a new motherboard in any case, so I thought I might make a few upgrades along with it. Wanted to try some new games at High settings and maybe try streaming as a hobby. And I've read that these kind of tasks might be a little hard on my CPU and I might need video capture card. I'm not sure about all this.

Thank you!
  3. Bump, since I need to buy motherboard ASAP.
  4. your memory needs to be exactly equal. So, just buy another pair of Kingston HyperX 2x4gb @1600Mhz (all 4 sticks need/should be identical) otherwise here:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus Z77-A ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($92.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($176.74 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card ($565.91 @ Newegg)
    Total: $835.63
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-14 05:04 EDT-0400
  5. oh you would also need to upgrade your power supply with a new Video Card like the one I suggested above

try SeaSonic G-750
  6. Hmm, sounds pretty good. But will this motherboard be ok for future upgrades?
  7. unfortunately not, intel is currently on the LGA1150 socket with Broadwell.
    Skylake will be LGA1151.
  8. In every shop I've called Asus Z77-A ATX LGA1155 Motherboard is out of stock and will not be be available anymore. Is there some other analog that I might buy? Anything Asus on LGA1155 socket?

Thank you!

P.S. A shop guy is offering to buy P8Z77-V LX, will it do (considering I don't upgrade anything else)? From Comparison the only difference I only noticed is 4 usb 3.0 (2 less).
  9. So just to be sure, you're saying that ASUS P8Z77-V LX, Z77, DualDDR3-1600 (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/) won't be compatible with my current setup in the OP?

Asking again, because this mb is very tempting - price 2x cheaper than than the things you mentioned.
  10. Any Z77 board will be compatible, with your current hardware. Get that board, and upgrade your graphics to a GTX 970. You will be sitting just fine.
  11. It will be. Z77 is a go.
  12. Roger that.

And thank you, bsod1, you've been very helpful! BigBadBeef and logainofhades thank you as well for taking your time and helping me out :)
  13. no problem, all the best! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

PC Advice Upgrade Systems