What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

What game have you been playing recently? How did you find the experience of playing said game?

Any games you looking forward to? Why are you looking at those games?

Lately I've been playing Transistor which is pretty amazing - I would give it GOTY for the refreshing gameplay experience. I played some Always Sometimes Monsters which was pretty terrible to be perfectly honest - it felt like a horrible cheap shot RPG that punishes every choice you make unrealistically. I've just started to play Divinity and like every other RPG I haven't got my head around to how it works yet.

Right now I have my eyes set on Dragon Age: Inquisition - it's made by EA, so I'll be buying it after release ;). Star Citizen looks pretty cool, but I'm not particularly interested in space sims - just the potential to advance PC graphics sounds amazing. I will very likely buy Sims 4 -> just for character creation (I'm a girl, after all). I haven't played Assassin's Creed, but the latest installment looks pretty neat with the co-op aspect.

How about the rest of you?
Reply to amdfangirl
2232 answers Last reply
More about favourite video game playing
  1. Looking to get back into gaming, but am VERY focused on single player.
    Quake 1-3, Unreal, Portal.

Suggestions for something of this decade? Run and shoot vs RPG. Not into spell casting...;)
    Reply to USAFRet
  2. I stick to single player games myself. I have been absolutely addicted to State of Decay recently. It's a zombie survival game I got at the beginning of the Steam summer sale and have already logged over 100 hours.

Also playing the games I just got in the recent 2K Humble Bundle. So far I have played Spec Ops: The Line, Bioshock Infinite and Mafia II and liked them all.

Just finished playing all 3 Mass Effect games all the way through again with all the DLC. Still my favorite games ever. Elder Scroll series and Fallout series tied for second. Can't wait for the new Dragon Age.
    Reply to anort3
  3. Oh and lest we forget what a tease Gabe is. I want this. This and a new Fallout. This and a new Fallout and Mass Effect 4. And the new Dragon Age........damnit just take my money and entertain me! :lol:

Reply to anort3
  4. USAFRet said:
    Looking to get back into gaming, but am VERY focused on single player.

Suggestions for something of this decade? Run and shoot vs RPG. Not into spell casting...;)

I'm going to get banned for spamming the thread! :D

Have you played the Mass Effect games? Well worth checking out if you like sci fi at all. Bioshock? Start with the first one of course. Half Life franchise? All are excellent in their own way even the original from 1998. If you can stand slightly dated graphics and like the idea of surviving the zombie apocalypse in your own way then I fully recommend State of Decay. Tried the Crysis games? The Deadspace series? Far Cry 3 and the Tomb Raider reboot were both very good. That's just off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions then ask away.
    Reply to anort3
  5. I played the first Mass Effect - I didn't ever get around to finishing it. It just felt like a lot of stuffing around.

I wasn't too good with the mechanics of it all. Hmm.

I don't know I didn't feel a connection with it even after 24 hours into the game.
    Reply to amdfangirl
  6. I played through Transistor and loved it as well. I have the OST on my phone, the vocal tracks are amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGMWL8cOeAU
    I'm looking forward to more from Supergiant Games, they really surprised me with Bastion, I was sure I wouldn't like it judging it on paper.

Quote:
    Fallout 4

I got suckered in hard by that hoax, I want so much... :(

One game I am looking forward to playing is Dark Souls II, its already released but I haven't bought it just yet as its a tad too expensive right now. Though my itch for punishingly hard "true" RPG's with in-depth environmental storytelling is not being scratched by the original Dark Souls anymore since GFWL killed the PC release :mad:.
    The Season 2 Finale of Telltale's The Walking Dead is also something that cant come soon enough, and we know Season 3 is coming.

USAFRet said:

Bioshock 1 and Infinite in that order, Bioshock 2 isnt that great.
    Spec Ops: The Line, its good just in a way that makes itself apparent later on.
    Far Cry 3
    Dead Space 1 if you want some horror, as the series progresses it gets too much into action and EA-ish (Microtransaction everything!)
    Reply to manofchalk
  7. I like single player also. Unfortunately I'm behind the times due to my work load. Lately I have got to play some Far Cry 3. It's got relatively easy controls, beautiful scenery, and it's fairly open world. It does have some glitches/bugs that have never been fixed, but they are more amusing than annoying.

I played Assassin's Creed Black Flag earlier this year. What's to say... who doesn't love pirating? I thought it was an excellent game although it did seem to break the mold of it's previous versions.
    Reply to Hawkeye22
  8. I see I have a big list to work through...;)
    Reply to USAFRet
  9. I don't know but I didn't like Bioshock Infinite. And this guy explains it very well with whom I almost agree
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchwarz/20130415/190441/BioShock_Infinites_Combat_Mechanics_Regression.php

Maybe the scarcity of single player games on PC inflated the ratings of Bioshock Infinite. Games like Gone Home and Papers Please got PC GOTY in 2013
    Reply to chimera201
  10. Looking to get back into gaming, but am VERY focused on single player.

them days are dead and gone
    Reply to junkeymonkey
  11. Im waiting for Dark Souls 2 to lower it's price, despite being a bad port, i really enjoyed the first one, also looking forward for the witcher 3, the two first parts are real masterpieces.
    Reply to mlga91
  12. I got The Witcher and The Witcher 2 as part of some sale a few months back and haven't played them yet. Is Dark Souls playable without a controller? It looks great but if I wanted to use a controller I would have bought a console :D

AFG I can't believe you didn't like Mass Effect. Did you like Dragon Age Origins?

Hawkeye, I thought AC4 was a blast myself. I also loved Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Both came with my video card. I also got some Batman game with the card but it took me less than an hour to decide that game was terrible and uninstall it.
    Reply to anort3
  13. anort3 said:
    I got The Witcher and The Witcher 2 as part of some sale a few months back and haven't played them yet. Is Dark Souls playable without a controller? It looks great but if I wanted to use a controller I would have bought a console :D

AFG I can't believe you didn't like Mass Effect. Did you like Dragon Age Origins?

Hawkeye, I thought AC4 was a blast myself. I also loved Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Both came with my video card. I also got some Batman game with the card but it took me less than an hour to decide that game was terrible and uninstall it.

There are people that can play dark souls with k/m, there is a mod that allows you do it, but, in my opinion, its better with a controller.
    Reply to mlga91
  14. anort3 said:

I did.
    Reply to amdfangirl
  15. anort3 said:
    . Is Dark Souls playable without a controller? It looks great but if I wanted to use a controller I would have bought a console :D

Technically yes, but its a lot easier with one. I took one look at the KB/M controls and plugged in my Dualshock.
    Reply to manofchalk
  16. anort3 said:
    Is Dark Souls playable without a controller? It looks great but if I wanted to use a controller I would have bought a console :D

The first one? Yes, it's playable once you install DSFix and DSM fix for it. I finished it a while back. Really an amazing game. Also, which batman game was it that you didn't like?

Right now, not playing anything, though I have like eight backlogs left that I have to fire up and finish.

I played 'The Wolf Among Us' a few weeks back. I waited till all the episodes were released so that I could get more continuity for the story. It was so spectacular story-wise. The background score was superb and the decision making really interesting.

I played Black Flag a few months back. It was the next best AC game for me after AC II and Brotherhood. Really looking forward to Unity.
    Reply to Gman450
  17. Batman: Arkham Origins. It was just so repetitious and boring. Maybe if I was more of a fan of the comics or the franchise I would have liked it. It was the first and only Batman game I have ever played.
    Reply to anort3
  18. I don't know why you didn't like it all too well, but I personally enjoyed it.

You should try Arkham Asylum.
    Reply to Gman450
  19. Origins was a bit dissapointing, it was basically Arkham City with just an extra area tacked on. The franchise is starting to succumb to Spectrum and Power Creep I feel.
    I recommend trying Asylum, City will just feel like more of the same if you played Origins first (and this way you keep the chronology correct).

One game I recommend is Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. You need (as in literally need) a controller to play it given its unique control scheme. The feels at the end, there have been very few media products that legitimately had me choking up.
    Reply to manofchalk
  20. Arkham Origins is developed by WB whereas Arkham City and Asylum were developed by RockSteady and the new Arkham Knight coming is also made by RockSteady

But no one gave an opinion for Bioshock Infinite?
    Reply to chimera201
  21. manofchalk said:
    One game I recommend is Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. You need (as in literally need) a controller to play it given its unique control scheme. The feels at the end, there have been very few media products that legitimately had me choking up.

Couldn't agree more on that. I played it on a keyboard however and didn't find it hard to control or anything. It's an amazing game with a very interesting way of putting in gameplay mechanics and story.
    Reply to Gman450
  22. chimera201 said:

But no one gave an opinion for Bioshock Infinite?

I played it earlier back in the year, and it was great! I liked the floating city better than the underwater theme by the previous two installments. Great plot and characters in the game make it a must own.
    The gameplay however, I did not like, I will admit. Just go here or there and you reach a shooting gallery and then continue etc etc... The story was mainly the only thing that made me want to go further and finish the game.
    Reply to Gman450
  23. Infinite is a game that would have benefited from not being a Bioshock game IMO. The mechanics and tropes of Bioshock were a bit at odds with the world, Vigors just felt like something they had to include to replace Raptures Plasmids. The original Bioshock was all about how the Plasmids (combined with the ideology) destroyed Rapture, while Columbia seems unaffected by plasmid/vigors.
    The ending is also a really good mind-bender, though in retrospect I would have preferred if "Bioshock" was just a theme of ideological cities than the techno-magic that places Columbia and Rapture in the same universe(ish).
    Reply to manofchalk
  24. manofchalk said:
    Infinite is a game that would have benefited from not being a Bioshock game IMO. The mechanics and tropes of Bioshock were a bit at odds with the world, Vigors just felt like something they had to include to replace Raptures Plasmids. The original Bioshock was all about how the Plasmids (combined with the ideology) destroyed Rapture, while Columbia seems unaffected by plasmid/vigors.
    The ending is also a really good mind-bender, though in retrospect I would have preferred if "Bioshock" was just a theme of ideological cities than the techno-magic that places Columbia and Rapture in the same universe(ish).

I was thinking of finishing Bioshock Infinite.

Wondering about the DLCs though.

Play as Elizabeth. Kill.

Ooooh.
    Reply to amdfangirl
  25. manofchalk said:
    though in retrospect I would have preferred if "Bioshock" was just a theme of ideological cities than the techno-magic that places Columbia and Rapture in the same universe(ish).

I also wanted the story's explanation to be fantasy based and not scientific.
    Here is my steam review. You will find some statements funny:
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198041425623/recommended/8870
    Reply to chimera201
  26. Finally started playing Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. Gameplay is decent enough, but omfg it's a glorious power trip. Everything from the sound effects and animations to the NPC dialogue reinforces the idea that you're an ultramarine of the Golden Emperor. The animations have some serious impact and display some impressive brute force, and the chainsword just sounds *hungry*.
    Reply to Rationale
  27. Oh that reminds me, the Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War quadrilogy (from the original to Soulstorm) is on sale for $10 on Steam. Its got about a day left.
    Reply to manofchalk
  28. Oh lawd, just played the final episode of Season 2 of Telltale's The Walking Dead.
    I feel so bad for Clementine, that decision toward the end...

Both seasons are on sale right now, if you havent already I extremely recommend you get them.
    Reply to manofchalk
  29. No spoilers! I loved Season 1 and haven't got around to Season 2 yet. I was waiting on all the episodes to be released. I'm not good at waiting months for new content. :D
    Reply to anort3
  30. anort3 said:
    No spoilers! I loved Season 1 and haven't got around to Season 2 yet. I was waiting on all the episodes to be released. I'm not good at waiting months for new content. :D

Me too! That's exactly what I do with episodic games. I wait till all the parts are released so that I can play them in one stretch.

The Walking Dead Season 1 was pure art from Tellatale. Eagerly waiting for the 5th episode of Season 2, so that I can finally play the series!
    Reply to Gman450
  31. I still play Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3 & NV with tons of mods and it never gets boring. I mostly play RPG's and my favourite ones are made by Bethesda. I also really can't wait for the next Mass Effect, The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition. There are more games to look forward to this and next year, but the biggest one on my list is Fallout 4 and after that it will be Elder Scrolls VI.
    Reply to Morales2142PL
  32. ^ Great List!

I finally got Season 2 of the Walking Dead it was indeed on sale for $10 so thanks for mentioning that MoC.

Did you guys see Telltale is doing a Game of Thrones game? That might just be awesome.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/29/telltale-releases-first-game-of-thrones-title-information
    Reply to anort3
  33. anort3 said:

Did you guys see Telltale is doing a Game of Thrones game? That might just be awesome.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/29/telltale-releases-first-game-of-thrones-title-information

I saw that before, and I'm hoping it's gonna be a good one.
    Reply to Gman450
  34. Knowing Telltale its going to be good, though I wonder if they have bitten off more than they can chew as of late. Now that Season 2 is over, they now have 3 games in development, Thrones, TWD Season 3 and Borderlands, and who knows if they'v got something in the pipe for The Wolf Among Us 2.
    Reply to manofchalk
  35. I'm really hoping for a 'The Wolf Among Us 2'. Such an amazing game!

But not all telltale games were good. ' Jurassic Park: The Game' was a mess...
    Reply to Gman450
  36. Thoughts I have always wanted to share but the lack of fellow gamers :'(

I used to have a life, but then I took...you get the idea :P

I am terribly partial to any kind of RPG and I stopped playing FPS after reaching a specific point in Spec Ops: The Line.

Many may disagree, but I loved the dialogues in Dragon Age 2.

Still extremely angry with the rainbow ending of ME: Trilogy, one just can not simply get over such disappointment so easily.

Still don't know how many ways The Witcher 2 could have ended.

Could not play Watch Dogs due to such high RAM requirement.

Finally decided to plough through the Assassin's Creed series.

Bioshock Infinity gave me choices and at the end, took them away.

What happened in Batman: Arkham Origins? Such monotony and lack of imagination!

I want L.A. Noire sequel or prequel or anything really.

Another Mafia (we can pretend Mafia 2 does not exist) would be appreciated, too!

Went on to play The Wolf Among Us, the computer broke down; is that an omen?

Eagerly waiting for Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt :D
    Reply to imamon
  37. imamon said:
    Thoughts I have always wanted to share but the lack of fellow gamers :'(

I used to have a life, but then I took...you get the idea :P

I am terribly partial to any kind of RPG and I stopped playing FPS after reaching a specific point in Spec Ops: The Line.

Many may disagree, but I loved the dialogues in Dragon Age 2.

Still extremely angry with the rainbow ending of ME: Trilogy, one just can not simply get over such disappointment so easily.

Still don't know how many ways The Witcher 2 could have ended.

Could not play Watch Dogs due to such high RAM requirement.

Finally decided to plough through the Assassin's Creed series.

Bioshock Infinity gave me choices and at the end, took them away.

What happened in Batman: Arkham Origins? Such monotony and lack of imagination!

I want L.A. Noire sequel or prequel or anything really.

Another Mafia (we can pretend Mafia 2 does not exist) would be appreciated, too!

Went on to play The Wolf Among Us, the computer broke down; is that an omen?

Eagerly waiting for Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt :D

I played Spec Ops: The Line and it wasn't really that bad, same with Dragon Age 2. I agree with the Mass Effect ending, it was terrible and the Extended Cut didn't really change anything. Didn't buy Watch Dogs, it was so overrated and i was looking forward to the game but from the reviews and all the problems i decided not to buy it. Bioshock Infinite had a kind of confusing ending. I would love another Mafia game, Mafia 1 was pretty good but i enjoyed Mafia 2 more. I really hope Bioware does a good job on Dragon Age: Inquisition and yeah can't wait for The Witcher 3 :D
    Reply to Morales2142PL
  38. Spec Ops isnt a good shooter, but that's simultaneously not and is the point. To explain why would completely ruin it for those who havent played it yet. Love that game.
    Reply to manofchalk
  39. Before Spec Ops, it was simply mindless shooting (read CoD) for me, but this game made me pause and think. I believe it's a good shooter game with an actual storyline; after the white phosphorus incident I could not remain emotionally detached and thus hightailed out of there. haven't been back since :\
    Reply to imamon
  40. Hi guys! I really miss and very much loved the multiplayer of crysis 2.
    I have a 6000$ worth pc with 3 144hz monitors that I am not using anymore since EA shut down the game.
    Here is a recording that I made, in third person. The goal of such recordings was to proove that I wasn't cheating.
    Enjoy the vid:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBcRChCQiwQ

What game would you suggest as alternative?
    I don't like battlefield, cod, medal of honor and similars because the player is too slow and too easy to kill, and I always didn't like the way weapons shoot.
    I have alot of games that I even didn't install. I'm too pissed off. And I don't wanna spend time learning something if it will not be absolutely amazing. I'm 34, I started gaming with Comanche in year 1990.
    The next game I will surely play will be Star Citizen.

Cheers
    Jonathan
    Reply to qiplayer
  41. There are some free to play games like Tribes Ascend or Planet Side 2 if you liked Crysis 2's multiplayer.
    Reply to Gman450
  42. Fast paced shooting, my immediate thought was Titanfall.
    The games Gman mentioned are also good, though IMO they are a bit too pay2win (Tribes in particular, the designers have done something wrong when the best gameplay comes from when no one on the server has spent money).
    Reply to manofchalk
  43. manofchalk said:
    Fast paced shooting, my immediate thought was Titanfall.
    The games Gman mentioned are also good, though IMO they are a bit too pay2win (Tribes in particular, the designers have done something wrong when the best gameplay comes from when no one on the server has spent money).

God forbid you have to spend money to play games. What's the world coming to? Everything should be free because I'm a special butterfly, and everyone knows development doesn't cost anything except magic sparkles.

F2P games are giant demos - You can run around and play to an extent, and get some nice early-game access, but if you want to keep playing and be competitive you owe it to the developer to spend some money. That used to be accepted, before gamers in general developed the largest entitlement on the internet.
    Reply to Rationale
  44. I'm not averse to spending money on a game, but when "Free to Play" becomes "Pay to Win" there is something wrong.
    My comment about the best gameplay being when no one has spent money comes from the fact that everyone is on a level playing field. Its quite easy to tell who has spent money in that game as their the ones with the guns/abilities you have never seen before and the highest kill count.

Free to Play is a business model that can be handled extremely badly. Tribes hasnt got it completely wrong, but their not leaning in the right direction either.
    Reply to manofchalk
  45. Quote:
    but when "Free to Play" becomes "Pay to Win" there is something wrong.

Bingo.
    Reply to USAFRet
  46. The people who 'pay to win' are paying the entry cost for all the people who don't want to pay. They're the pillars supporting the community.
    Reply to Rationale
  47. Eh, whatever.

This came out just today actually.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U&list=UUCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg
    I guess I'm just spoiled by games that do F2P right, Dota2 for instance. Dont need to pay a cent to play at a professional level, and they drive spending by offering compelling community content (such as professional tournaments, Ti4 wasnt the biggest eSports tournament by a landslide for nothing) rather than free wins.

I instantly bought the Ti4 compendium, thats $10 right there for what is basically a virtual sticker book. Its not like I'm a miser when it comes to spending on games, I am just not going to support a game where the person who pays, wins.
    Reply to manofchalk
  48. Well, I never played Tribes or Planetside 2, but I've heard a lot of good feedback from gamers about them. So I mentioned of them. I never knew they were the pay 2 win types. Sorry.
    Reply to Gman450
  49. Not your fault, they are good games that you can derive enjoyment from, was just commenting on my experience of them until the topic was hijacked.
    Reply to manofchalk
  • 1 /45
      • 1/45
  • Last
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Games Video Games Video RPG Gaming