Solved

Can't select correct monitor aspect ratio. Slow window draw. Display driver issues I can't seem to resolve.

Hi. I'm trying to help fix my Mom's PC. She has an Acer Aspire x3950 desktop.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 540 @ 3.07GHz

RAM: 4.00 GB

I am having two problems. First, I can't select the correct aspect ratio and resolution for a new monitor I just installed. The monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050, but I am only given options for 4:3 resolutions, ranging from 800x600 to 1600x1200. Second, there is an extreme amount of lag when scrolling and dragging windows around the desktop.

Under device manager, the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver has a yellow '!' triangle and a "Device status" message saying "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)". Here are screen shots of the "advanced options" menu under the "Change resolution" screen: http://i.imgur.com/KLyjdFF.png & http://i.imgur.com/2ZWUY1c.png

The presence of "VGA" in the display adapter's name (vgasave) is confusing, because I am not using a VGA connection. Rather, I am using an HDMI-out to DVI-in connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix my aspect-ratio and display lag problems?

Thanks in advance!
1 answer Last reply Best Answer
More about select correct monitor aspect ratio slow window draw display driver issues resolve
  1. Best answer
    Firstly , you might want to reinstall the intel HD graphics drivers as it might help windows reconfiguring the hardware or monitor in this case .
    Secondly , why are you using an HDMI out and Dvi in the converter that you are using to change HDMI into dvi can be the cause of lag (90% chance) or this whole conversation is not being handled by mobo correctly , HDMI and DVI are different technologies , I'll say try using only HDMI or Dvi combination ,
    If still problem exists, use that monitor with another PC to test it. Hope this helps
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Graphics Aspire Acer Resolution Monitors Displays