Monitor briefly losing input signal during gaming, occasional crashing and BSOD

I installed a brand new GTX 670 in my rig about a month ago and for the first three weeks it was performing splendidly. A week ago I experienced the first crash during a three hour session of Shogun 2 and from then on out I've experienced crashing and brief input signal loss from my DVI input on my monitor. When I say brief, I mean about 2 seconds.

Now, I've only been playing Skyrim and Shogun 2 in the past week but I'm experiencing the same problem with slightly different symptoms in each game. I have never experienced this problem outside of gaming.

Shogun 2 symptoms:
-I am completely unable to play in DirectX11 mode. The monitor loses signal within a minute of loading a game and boots me to the desktop. I still see the Shogun icon in the taskbar but I am unable to get back into the game forcing me to use task manager to end the program
-I am able to play in DirectX9 mode, but the monitor still loses it's input signal every 5 minutes or so. When the monitor regains it's input signal, instead of kicking me to the desktop like it does in DirectX11 it displays a loading screen as if I've changed some of my graphical settings around. Once it's done loading I am able to continue playing. However, I did experience hard crash under directx9 last night after the monitor lost signal. The sound looped for about a minute before it gave me a BSOD.

Skyrim symptoms:
-I can play for anywhere from 5 min to 30 min before monitor loses signal. When it regains the signal I experience an enormous drop in FPS. I haven't measured the exact FPS, but I'm guessing around 20-30 indoors and around 15 outdoors. If I exit and restart the game, the problem is gone until the monitor loses signal again (which it inevitably will). This renders Skyrim virtually unplayable.

Specs:
EVGA GTX 670
AMD FX-8150
Coole Master 212 EVO Heatsink
ASRock 990FX Extreme4
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
Seagate 1TB HDD
8gb DDR3 RAM (forgot which brand)
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W (about 4 years old now)
ASUS VW246H 24" monitor

I've tried:
-Changing all settings to low.
-Monitoring temps. GPU doesn't get over 75c nor is anything else running hot (I did notice that the GPU got to 81c one time before I changed the fan speed profile).
-Uninstalling and reinstalling driver.
-Rolling back to several previous drivers
-Disabling NVIDIA HD Audio as I've heard this has caused a lot of problems for people. Unfortunately, this wasn't the culprit
-Tried a different monitor, problem persists.
-Full computer virus and spyware scan. Two minor spyware issues showed up but were apparently cleaned.
-Switching DVI cables.

On my list to try:
-Switching out GPU
-I've seen some steps on how to completely clean your system out of old display drivers before installing new ones. When I originally reinstalled the driver I only used the clean install option in GeForce Experience.
-Updating GPU BIOS. I've seen on the EVGA forums that there has been several updates for the 670, but seeing as a I just recently purchased mine I might already be up to date.

I am also taking into consideration that this might be a PSU issue, but it'd be a big coincidence that this happened right after I installed a new GPU.

This issue is starting to drive me insane. Any suggestions before I do anything drastic (reformat, RMA)?
3 answers Last reply
More about monitor briefly losing input signal gaming occasional crashing bsod
  1. Considering all of the things you have already tried, and the fact that your PSU is 4 years old, my first thought is that it is a PSU issue. Try using a different PSU if you can get your hands on one (a friend's, etc.) and see what happens.
  2. It was my GPU.

I switched out the 670 for my old 460 and the crashing stopped. EVGA already approved the RMA.
  3. Well played, sir. >.<
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Graphics Nvidia Monitors Blue Screen Graphics Cards