Intel God's "Quick & Dirty" OC Guide to 4.4Ghz with Haswell

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Cache
  • Speed
  • Intel
  • CPUs
Last response: in Overclocking

Were you able to achieve stability at 4.4Ghz?

Total: 120 votes (2 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 59 %
  • No
  • 42 %
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
4 July 2013 04:57:16

Put this together for the new guys who want a quick and dirty way to 4.4Ghz. I used 4.4Ghz because that's the speed almost everyone should be able to hit with a Hyper 212+ EVO.

First things to change in the Bios. Make sure you are on your newest bios before overclocking.

1. Set "All Core" CPU Multiplier to 44X
2. Set CPU cache Multiplier also called the Ring bus multiplier to 35
3. Set Fixed CPU Vcore to 1.25 -1.30v
4. Set CPU Cache Voltage also could be called Ring Bus voltage to 1.20v -1.25vv
5. Set Vrin also called "CPU Input Voltage" To 1.9v - 2.1v

DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT mix up the "Cpu Voltage" and the "CPU Input Voltage". One is for the CPU and the other for the On Die VRM's.

Save and reboot into windows.
Use your favorite Stress tool. I used IBT on High and monitor temps with Realtemp or some other monitoring program.
Run it for 10 Runs or 20 or whoever you feel comfortable with. I run it for 10 usually. If it doesn't blue screen you after the 5th run you could assume you're stable. Again run it for as many times as you want. Get through 10 or 20 runs and no crash? Congratulations you're stable and you can fine tune.

I couldn't get a clear Bios picture for you all so this is the next best thing.

Some extra's. Some bios' will add in a little offset voltage for both the CPU and Cache. Mine was .8 for the CPU and .4 for the Cache. If that happens put the lowest setting you can. Not "Auto" but .01 for each. My ASRock board did but i don't know if yours will. Any questions please post in here and i will answer.

More about : intel god quick dirty guide 4ghz haswell

a b K Overclocking
a c 93 à CPUs
4 July 2013 05:26:33

Oh, make it a dirty sticky.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
4 July 2013 14:41:06

And give a dirty name. lol
Oh..wait...already got one. ;) 

Quick question: So, you prefer fixed vcore over offset/adaptive?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
4 July 2013 16:06:09

Som3one said:
And give a dirty name. lol
Oh..wait...already got one. ;) 

Quick question: So, you prefer fixed vcore over offset/adaptive?

You dont want to use adaptive because most of the time it'll push vcore way too high. The fixed voltage is the best way to keep temps and volts in check
7 July 2013 04:12:21

Thank you
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
7 July 2013 04:40:38

stevems said:
Thank you

It work good for you Steve?
7 July 2013 04:50:38

Intel God said:
stevems said:
Thank you

It work good for you Steve?

Yes, really good. I am able to run through through demanding programs without the cpu crashing.

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
7 July 2013 08:22:21

Not working over here...unfortunately. :( 
Getting a blue screen after 2mins of Prime.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
7 July 2013 17:59:32

Som3one said:
Not working over here...unfortunately. :( 
Getting a blue screen after 2mins of Prime.

How are temps? Try upping the cache voltage to 1.15v. 1.10v might be too low for some chips. I will revise the OP
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
7 July 2013 21:29:31

Average at around 69°C, hitting 74°C from time to time with a Kraken x60.

EDIT: Temps while using Prime of course.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
7 July 2013 22:57:20

Som3one said:
Average at around 69°C, hitting 74°C from time to time with a Kraken x60.

EDIT: Temps while using Prime of course.

Those temps are super safe. Did upping the cache voltage help with stability?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
8 July 2013 09:55:49

Will check it out lateron...or tomorrow.
8 July 2013 14:33:37

Intel God said:
Put this together for the new guys who want a quick and dirty way to 4.4Ghz. I used 4.4Ghz because that's the speed almost everyone should be able to hit with a Hyper 212+ EVO.

First things to change in the Bios. Make sure you are on your newest bios before overclocking.

3. Set Fixed CPU Vcore to 1.25v
4. Set CPU Cache Voltage also could be called Ring Bus voltage to 1.15v
5. Set Vrin also called "CPU Input Voltage" To 1.9v

DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT mix up the "Cpu Voltage" and the "CPU Input Voltage". One is for the CPU and the other for the On Die VRM's.

Use your favorite Stress tool. I used IBT on High and monitor temps with Realtemp or some other monitoring program.
Run it for 10 Runs or 20 or whoever you feel comfortable with. I run it for 10 usually. If it doesn't blue screen you after the 5th run you could assume you're stable. Again run it for as many times as you want. Get through 10 or 20 runs and no crash? Congratulations you're stable and you can fine tune.

Some extra's. Some bios' will add in a little offset voltage for both the CPU and Cache. Mine was .8 for the CPU and .4 for the Cache. If that happens put the lowest setting you can. Not "Auto" but .01 for each. My ASRock board did but i don't know if yours will. Any questions please post in here and i will answer.

Didnt work for me. BSOD while loading Windows. I also tried:

CPU Vcore 1.3
CPU Cache Voltage 1.2
CPU Input Voltage 2.1

Same result - BSOD while loading Windows. Im on the Asrock Z87E-ITX-board.

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
8 July 2013 14:53:07

I also tried this with the Asrock Z87E-ITX board and a 4670k and had to ramp the CPU vcore to 1.3, and the CPU cache to 1.2 to get it to not bsod 124. This had it working but I was reaching temperatures 80C+ on prime with aircooling (Corsair A70).

I find this relatively odd since I normally run at 4.2 vcore:1.15 cache: 3.9, voltage:1.1 and it works without a hitch.

It seems like an awfully large jump in voltage for me for 200MHz more.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
8 July 2013 15:03:18

Yeah, I guess every chip as such a jump somewhere. Especially with Haswell.

Linus from LinusTechTips suggests to put everything to Auto, then set the VCore to 1.25 and the multi to 46.
This is to get an idea of the overclockability of a specific chip, depending how it reacts to those settings.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
8 July 2013 15:43:58

CharlyBO said:
Intel God said:

3. Set Fixed CPU Vcore to 1.25v
4. Set CPU Cache Voltage also could be called Ring Bus voltage to 1.15v
5. Set Vrin also called "CPU Input Voltage" To 1.9v

Didnt work for me. BSOD while loading Windows. I also tried:

CPU Vcore 1.3
CPU Cache Voltage 1.2
CPU Input Voltage 2.1

Same result - BSOD while loading Windows. Im on the Asrock Z87E-ITX-board.

Christian Angelo said:
I also tried this with the Asrock Z87E-ITX board and a 4670k and had to ramp the CPU vcore to 1.3, and the CPU cache to 1.2 to get it to not bsod 124. This had it working but I was reaching temperatures 80C+ on prime with aircooling (Corsair A70).

I find this relatively odd since I normally run at 4.2 vcore:1.15 cache: 3.9, voltage:1.1 and it works without a hitch.

It seems like an awfully large jump in voltage for me for 200MHz more.

Thank you both for the input. I will modify the OP to show there is some play needed in the voltages.
8 July 2013 19:43:27

anyone know where can i set the offset values on asus boards?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
8 July 2013 19:44:54

Under AITweaker. Then set the according value from "Auto" to "Offset".
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
8 July 2013 23:30:08

Hi Intel GOD. Could you please take a look at my BIOS to which settings to change? Thanks
Here's the link for the pictures: https://copy.com/gsJEgAWI6w3M
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
8 July 2013 23:57:29

johnvonmacz said:
Hi Intel GOD. Could you please take a look at my BIOS to which settings to change? Thanks

John what issues are you having? Crash? Freeze? Try pushing up the CPU input voltage to 1.9v
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 01:15:45

Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:

John what issues are you having? Crash? Freeze? Try pushing up the CPU input voltage to 1.9v

When I was running 4.3Ghz with 1.3vcore, AIDA64 Runs for 20minutes no problem. But when I tried Intelburntest, right when I run the test it BSOD. Right now, I'm currently running @4.2Ghz with 1.25vcore and it passed 20 runs of intel burn test on high but the temps are scary lol the hottest it went is 91C but the average is around 75-85C 100% Load. When I try to change the CPU Input Voltage to 1.9v the letter becomes RED. Should I still continue to make it 1.9v? Thanks

UPDATE: Tried 4.3Ghz with 1.3vcore and 2.0v input voltage, ran IBT High 5 runs and the temps is around 90-98C! I don't know if my cpu is really that bad or is there something wrong with my cooler. Kraken X60 should have better temps than 212 EVO. :( 
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 01:30:04

johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:

When I was running 4.3Ghz with 1.3vcore, AIDA64 Runs for 20minutes no problem. But when I tried Intelburntest, right when I run the test it BSOD. Right now, I'm currently running @4.2Ghz with 1.25vcore and it passed 20 runs of intel burn test on high but the temps are scary lol the hottest it went is 91C but the average is around 75-85C 100% Load. When I try to change the CPU Input Voltage to 1.9v the letter becomes RED. Should I still continue to make it 1.9v? Thanks

2.0-2.1v is the max you want to set the CIV on air. What cooler are you using?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 02:28:58

Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:

NZXT Kraken X60. I went back to 4.2Ghz with 1.25vcore and here's a quick IBT Test result. I don't know if 115Gflops is normal for a 4.2Ghz overclock. Seems a bit low to me compared to the 124Gflops you got.

*UPDATE* ran IBT on very high and got 120Gflops.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 13:00:54

Intel God said:
Did upping the cache voltage help with stability?

Unfortunately not.
Got a reboot after about 2mins running Prime.

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 18:22:15

johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:

NZXT Kraken X60. I went back to 4.2Ghz with 1.25vcore and here's a quick IBT Test result. I don't know if 115Gflops is normal for a 4.2Ghz overclock. Seems a bit low to me compared to the 124Gflops you got.

My run was with 2666 memory and core parking is disabled. Have you disabled it? If not give it a shot

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804

Som3one said:
Intel God said:

Unfortunately not.

Christ you have a finicky chip
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 20:04:41

Looks like it. Funny thing, it´s my second chip and I bet my first one would have been better. :-/
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 21:03:22

Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:

My run was with 2666 memory and core parking is disabled. Have you disabled it? If not give it a shot

Som3one said:
Intel God said:

Unfortunately not.

I have windows 8. Anyway, I think I'll just stick with 4.2Ghz for now. Is there any huge noticeable difference between 4.2 and 4.4Ghz? And I have a 1600Mhz memory, Is it possible to overclock it to lets say 2133Mhz and at what voltage without killing it? Also, What do you think of this software - http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php? Thanks a lot INTELGOD!
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
9 July 2013 21:12:38

Som3one said:
Looks like it. Funny thing, it´s my second chip and I bet my first one would have been better. :-/

Buy the Intel Tuning plan and RMA ;) 

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/purchase-a-plan

johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:

Som3one said:
Intel God said:

Unfortunately not.

I have windows 8. Anyway, I think I'll just stick with 4.2Ghz for now. Is there any huge noticeable difference between 4.2 and 4.4Ghz? And I have a 1600Mhz memory, Is it possible to overclock it to lets say 2133Mhz and at what voltage? Also could you please tell me what exactly is core parking, what it does? Thanks a lot INTELGOD!

Going from 1600 to 2133 might happen but 1600 to 1866 is more likely doable. On windows 8 core parking is disabled anyway so no worries
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
10 July 2013 09:03:06

Intel God said:
Som3one said:

Well, I mean I could still return it no problem.
I currently have running @ 4.2GHz pretty stable (but have to do some more stress testing) and was pretty ok with it.
But now you got me thinking....

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
11 July 2013 18:16:16

Som3one said:
Intel God said:
Som3one said:

I currently have running @ 4.2GHz pretty stable (but have to do some more stress testing) and was pretty ok with it.

At 4.2Ghz you're equal to a 4.6Ghz Ivy and a 5Ghz Sandy. Its up to you ofcourse :D 
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
11 July 2013 20:17:30

Intel God said:
Som3one said:

johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:
Intel God said:
johnvonmacz said:

Som3one said:
Intel God said:

Unfortunately not.

I have windows 8. Anyway, I think I'll just stick with 4.2Ghz for now. Is there any huge noticeable difference between 4.2 and 4.4Ghz? And I have a 1600Mhz memory, Is it possible to overclock it to lets say 2133Mhz and at what voltage? Also could you please tell me what exactly is core parking, what it does? Thanks a lot INTELGOD!

Going from 1600 to 2133 might happen but 1600 to 1866 is more likely doable. On windows 8 core parking is disabled anyway so no worries

Intel God said:
Som3one said:
Intel God said:
Som3one said:

At 4.2Ghz you're equal to a 4.6Ghz Ivy and a 5Ghz Sandy. Its up to you ofcourse :D 

Mine is only stable at 4.1Ghz. Before I can run 4.2 but then, when I play hours of BF3 multiplayer it bsod's.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
11 July 2013 20:32:34

John that's really weird. I look at your settings and everything looks good.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
11 July 2013 20:33:13

I cant edit my posts thanks to 404 errors. have you tried the Asus OC tuner john. What presets does it have?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
12 July 2013 01:48:25

Intel God said:
I cant edit my posts thanks to 404 errors. have you tried the Asus OC tuner john. What presets does it have?

Last time i did the ASUS Auto OC, AI Suite III overclock, It did a per core overclock (43,42,41,41).
15 July 2013 19:54:11

I'm able to get a 4.4 at 1.246w maxing out at about 59-60C with prime after about 3 hours. However, when I have CPU Volt set to Auto and try for 4.5Ghz it bumps the voltage up to ~1.35v and the temp maxes out about 68-69C. Should I just keep the CPU at 4.4 or is my voltage safe above 1.35 at those temps? I'm new to this OC'ing thing. Thanks for the help
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
15 July 2013 20:02:03

svtkid97 said:
I'm able to get a 4.4 at 1.246w maxing out at about 59-60C with prime after about 3 hours. However, when I have CPU Volt set to Auto and try for 4.5Ghz it bumps the voltage up to ~1.35v and the temp maxes out about 68-69C. Should I just keep the CPU at 4.4 or is my voltage safe above 1.35 at those temps? I'm new to this OC'ing thing. Thanks for the help

68-69 is not bad at all. I wouldn't use auto though, it uses more voltage than what's needed, and things seem to get dicey after 1.35ish I would try 4.5 at like 1.3 or possibly a little lower voltage and see what it does

15 July 2013 20:06:07

Christian Angelo said:
svtkid97 said:

68-69 is not bad at all. I wouldn't use auto though, it uses more voltage than what's needed, and things seem to get dicey after 1.35ish I would try 4.5 at like 1.3 or possibly a little lower voltage and see what it does

I can step it up in incriments from where 4.4 is stable at, however, is the difference really noticeable? I feel my temps for 4.4ghz is pretty solid or atleast is better than what I've been finding on this thread. Also, if you could explain to me the dangers of running voltages over 1.3 if the temps remain "safe"? Like I said earlier, I'm new to this OCing thing. Thanks in advance
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
15 July 2013 20:14:07

That's the big thing for me as well I'm at 4.2 because my jump to 4.4 was far to great in the voltage and heat department. I'm sure there's tweaking I could do but I've been too busy to deal with my oc. But I'm rambling, 100Mhz isn't going to be very noticeable, so if you're comfortable with where you're at with 4.4 I'd stick with that.

The dangers are mainly heat related, but if you're only getting 70 degrees, then you're okay. For haswell it seems like the place to get worried is high 80s.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
15 July 2013 20:20:39

svtkid97 said:
Christian Angelo said:
svtkid97 said:

I can step it up in incriments from where 4.4 is stable at, however, is the difference really noticeable? I feel my temps for 4.4ghz is pretty solid or atleast is better than what I've been finding on this thread. Also, if you could explain to me the dangers of running voltages over 1.3 if the temps remain "safe"? Like I said earlier, I'm new to this OCing thing. Thanks in advance

Safe voltage on haswell on air is 1.45v but you'll never even get close to that on the stock TIM
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
15 July 2013 20:20:51

svtkid97 said:
Christian Angelo said:
svtkid97 said:

Safe voltage on haswell on air is 1.45v but you'll never even get close to that on the stock TIM
15 July 2013 20:21:15

Christian Angelo said:
That's the big thing for me as well I'm at 4.2 because my jump to 4.4 was far to great in the voltage and heat department. I'm sure there's tweaking I could do but I've been too busy to deal with my oc. But I'm rambling, 100Mhz isn't going to be very noticeable, so if you're comfortable with where you're at with 4.4 I'd stick with that.

The dangers are mainly heat related, but if you're only getting 70 degrees, then you're okay. For haswell it seems like the place to get worried is high 80s.

Sounds good man, thanks for the help. I'm not trying to sell anything to you but I first bought a Zaleman or whatever copper CPU cooler from Newegg and was sitting in the low 70s at 4.1-4.2 and got fed up and bought a Corsair H55 from Best Buy for the hell of it as I was getting fed up and man idling at 4.4 is around 25-26C and under load is 54-57C with a max spike aroud 60C. I was extremely impressed.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
15 July 2013 20:32:03

Thanks for that clarification Intel God

svtkid97, yeah I'm on air right now, I don't think they sell it anymore more but it was a corsair A70. It's not the nicest but it fairs well, I think it's more of my chip than my heatsink. I've been considering a closed loop but I'm broke after buying this 4670k upgrade :p  and I'm not sure if it'll benefit me much.
15 July 2013 20:37:29

Intel God said:
svtkid97 said:
Christian Angelo said:
svtkid97 said:

Im not sure what you mean by stock TIM. If you could give me a brief couple of steps to see if I can achieve a higher clock that would be great. For reference I'm running Asus Z87 Pro MOBO, 4670k, 8GB 1866Mhz G-skill. Thanks for the help
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
16 July 2013 20:14:50

svtkid97 said:
Christian Angelo said:

Sounds good man, thanks for the help. I'm not trying to sell anything to you but I first bought a Zaleman or whatever copper CPU cooler from Newegg and was sitting in the low 70s at 4.1-4.2 and got fed up and bought a Corsair H55 from Best Buy for the hell of it as I was getting fed up and man idling at 4.4 is around 25-26C and under load is 54-57C with a max spike aroud 60C. I was extremely impressed.

Wow you got a pretty good chip buddy!
22 July 2013 07:55:19

Thanks, running 4.4GHz Stable after ten runs!
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
4 August 2013 15:31:47

WTF...I'm on an i5-4670K at 4.4 and im getting 60ish GFLOPS in IBT. This is my first time overclocking but without the overclock i get 48 GFLOPS. Anyone know why?

Nvm, it somehow fixed itself, im now getting around 110 GFLOPS
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
6 August 2013 03:54:07

Just got my 4770K replaced and now I can hit 4.5Ghz no problem! So happy! :D 
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
6 August 2013 09:44:01

I might be getting even more jelous but at what voltages and temps?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
6 August 2013 10:18:46

Som3one said:
I might be getting even more jelous but at what voltages and temps?

I settled @ 4.4Ghz
- 4.4Ghz @ 1.14v
- Cache: 4.4Ghz @ 1.14v too
Temps
Highest 75C
Lowest 30C

I think it has something to do with the batch number. My first one is a L311XXXX chip and totally bad chip, bad overclocker. My Second (current) one is a L310XXXX chip and so good in overclocking. I can hit 4.6Ghz @ 1.18v but my Kraken X60 is not enough to handle it as my temps go as high as 88C.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
6 August 2013 10:54:58

Yeah, I was right.
I got more jelous. ;) 

Do you use the stock fans on your Kraken?

Also, have you thought about delidding your CPU? (Not suggesting, just asking.)
    • 1 / 8
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest