ATX Vs Mini ITX

I am going off to college and want something that is portable, yet I also want something that is powerful. With that said I am getting a i5 4670k with a Z87 but I can't decide between a "Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced" or a Bitfenix Prodigy. I think both cases are beautiful in different ways, but I don't know what is better, the portability or the expandability.
7 answers Last reply
More about atx mini itx
  1. There is another factor to be considered with ATX ( Mid Tower ) and Micro ATX ( Mini Tower ). The latter is smaller and very close inside. Also hard to work in, and the airflow is somewhat restricted and can cause slightly higher temps. It is mor portable, but you give up a lot for that portability in my opinion.
  2. I take it you're going for at least an undergraduate degree, right? While in college, with whatever income you may have, can you even afford to upgrade/expand a PC in a 4 to 6 year period? You would probably only upgrade the core components, such as the GPU, CPU and motherboard before you would ever think about plopping a new sound card or NIC in there, right? The Prodigy has capacity for 5 storage drives, so that isn't too much of an issue. I personally would suggest the Prodigy, unless you will be making enough bank during college to afford dual GPU's or other such luxuries. Of course you will also need to afford a good cooling system for a Mini ITX gaming machine.
  3. James AP said:
    I take it you're going for at least an undergraduate degree, right? While in college, with whatever income you may have, can you even afford to upgrade/expand a PC in a 4 to 6 year period? You would probably only upgrade the core components, such as the GPU, CPU and motherboard before you would ever think about plopping a new sound card or NIC in there, right? The Prodigy has capacity for 5 storage drives, so that isn't too much of an issue. I personally would suggest the Prodigy, unless you will be making enough bank during college to afford dual GPU's or other such luxuries. Of course you will also need to afford a good cooling system for a Mini ITX gaming machine.

This would be the config of my Prodigy build
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($212.98 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($170.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($163.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Raidmax 700W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $60.00)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $39.99)
    Mouse: Cooler Master SGM-2000-MLON1 Wired Optical Mouse ($31.48 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1522.36
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 21:16 EDT-0400)
  4. I would switch the Asus card for a Gigabyte card with the Windforce cooler. The Gigabyte card is a bit bigger, but the Prodigy will accommodate it.
  5. nova nox said:
    James AP said:
    I take it you're going for at least an undergraduate degree, right? While in college, with whatever income you may have, can you even afford to upgrade/expand a PC in a 4 to 6 year period? You would probably only upgrade the core components, such as the GPU, CPU and motherboard before you would ever think about plopping a new sound card or NIC in there, right? The Prodigy has capacity for 5 storage drives, so that isn't too much of an issue. I personally would suggest the Prodigy, unless you will be making enough bank during college to afford dual GPU's or other such luxuries. Of course you will also need to afford a good cooling system for a Mini ITX gaming machine.

This would be the config of my Prodigy build
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($212.98 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($170.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($163.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Red) Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Raidmax 700W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (Purchased For $60.00)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $39.99)
    Mouse: Cooler Master SGM-2000-MLON1 Wired Optical Mouse ($31.48 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1522.36
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-16 21:16 EDT-0400)

It is highly doubtful that that Video card wil even fit in there.

6. A GTX 690 will fit, I don't see why a GTX 770 wouldn't.
  7. Come to think of it, I had a Mini Tower that I gave to my sister. I had a 10" card in there, but it was tight and didn't require extra power from the rail. I just checked out the case and at 17" from front to back, you should have room.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Build Your Own College Build Motherboards Cases