UPGRADE THIS - $600-$700 To Upgrade this old Gateway PC

So I received this http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx6840-23-intel/4507-3118_7-34138940.html from a contest that my local best buy was having a few years back. It is about time I upgrade this thing.

What are your opinions within a $600, max $700 if worth it, budget. I've already changed the case to a Azza 1000Solano a few months back.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 600 700 upgrade gateway
  1. Personally i would sell what you have, add that to your $600 budget and build new. With that you could get a pretty good system.

Alternatively, purchase a decent quality GPU for it. That is if your gaming, you haven't really told us your use for the PC.
  2. This is my gaming rig. I thought I said that but I didn't. Thanks for the quick response!
  3. Are you happy with it's performance in areas other than gaming? If so, just upgrade the GPU and PSU (couldn't find what it was so im assuming it's a bundled cheapo).

If you're not happy with it's performance i would sell up, add to your $600 budget and buy new.
  4. mikerockett said:
    Are you happy with it's performance in areas other than gaming? If so, just upgrade the GPU and PSU (couldn't find what it was so im assuming it's a bundled cheapo).

If you're not happy with it's performance i would sell up, add to your $600 budget and buy new.

The link is in the original post. http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx6840-23-intel/4507-3118_7-34138940.html

Well, I think my mobo is dying which is the main reason I have looked at upgrading. I stole my 700w thermaltake bronze rated PSU from my old computer thats about 3 years old. I don't know the exact model off the top of my head. But I do want better performance, so GPU, MOBO, maybe an SSD to throw my OS and games on etc?
  5. In that case i reckon sell up, add it to your budget and build new.
  6. mikerockett said:
    In that case i reckon sell up, add it to your budget and build new.

Well how much do you think I can get selling it?
  7. Hard to say really, best bet is to look on ebay etc for similar systems. Or you can piece each component out and sell separate.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming upgrade Homebuilt PC gaming Gateway Systems