upgrade to Windows XP from 98SE WITHOUT the original disks

I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 98SE to Win XP Pro on a Dell
Dimension XPST800r. However I do not have the original CD-Rom for Win 98.
What is worse, I don't have the original Office 2000 CD-Rom. (Moved houses
and the Lord only knows where the CDs and all the manuals ended up! At least
the computer was found!).

Can I still do a clean install of the OS without the original info or
product key?

How can I reinstall Office if I don't have the original CDs?

I also want to use Outlook Express in the new OS. And how about other
applications which I may not have original anything? Adobe Premier, etc

Thanks for info.

The system:

Dell Dimension XPS T800r
256 RAM
30GB hard drive (with plenty of freespace)
Windows 98 SE
Office 2000
Outlook Express
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade windows 98se original disks

    You'll have to purchase both a "Full Version" of Windows XP
    and Microsoft Office in your situation since you no longer have
    the licenses or CDs for your missing software.

    Try the following:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "EdH" wrote:

    | I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 98SE to Win XP Pro on a Dell
    | Dimension XPST800r. However I do not have the original CD-Rom for Win 98.
    | What is worse, I don't have the original Office 2000 CD-Rom. (Moved houses
    | and the Lord only knows where the CDs and all the manuals ended up! At least
    | the computer was found!).
    |
    | Can I still do a clean install of the OS without the original info or
    | product key?
    |
    | How can I reinstall Office if I don't have the original CDs?
    |
    | I also want to use Outlook Express in the new OS. And how about other
    | applications which I may not have original anything? Adobe Premier, etc
    |
    | Thanks for info.
    |
    | The system:
    |
    | Dell Dimension XPS T800r
    | 256 RAM
    | 30GB hard drive (with plenty of freespace)
    | Windows 98 SE
    | Office 2000
    | Outlook Express

    You shouldn't need the Win98 CD in order to perform an 'in-place' upgrade to
    XP. Office 2000 will be retained as well.
    You can't do a clean install of 98 without a disk. Depending on what version
    of XP (Upgrade or Full, OEM) you have will determine if you can perform a
    clean install of it.

    As for a reinstall of Office 2000: no CD, no reinstall.

    --
    James M. Fisher
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    "EdH" <EdH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 98SE to Win XP Pro on a Dell
    > Dimension XPST800r. However I do not have the original CD-Rom for Win 98.
    > What is worse, I don't have the original Office 2000 CD-Rom. (Moved houses
    > and the Lord only knows where the CDs and all the manuals ended up! At
    > least
    > the computer was found!).
    >
    > Can I still do a clean install of the OS without the original info or
    > product key?
    >
    > How can I reinstall Office if I don't have the original CDs?
    >
    > I also want to use Outlook Express in the new OS. And how about other
    > applications which I may not have original anything? Adobe Premier, etc
    >
    > Thanks for info.

    If the CDs were from Dell when you bought the computer, call
    Dell and they can supply replacements.

    "James M. Fisher [MVP]" <xrayjames@msn.com> wrote in message
    | You shouldn't need the Win98 CD in order to perform an
    'in-place' upgrade to
    | XP. Office 2000 will be retained as well.
    | You can't do a clean install of 98 without a disk.
    Depending on what version
    | of XP (Upgrade or Full, OEM) you have will determine if
    you can perform a
    | clean install of it.
    |
    | As for a reinstall of Office 2000: no CD, no reinstall.
    |
    | --
    | James M. Fisher
    | MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    | Service Pack 2 Master List:
    | http://jmfmvps.mvps.org/SP2.htm
    | <Please reply in the newsgroups>
    |

    | "EdH" <EdH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 98SE to Win XP
    Pro on a Dell
    | > Dimension XPST800r. However I do not have the original
    CD-Rom for Win 98.
    | > What is worse, I don't have the original Office 2000
    CD-Rom. (Moved houses
    | > and the Lord only knows where the CDs and all the
    manuals ended up! At
    | > least
    | > the computer was found!).
    | >
    | > Can I still do a clean install of the OS without the
    original info or
    | > product key?
    | >
    | > How can I reinstall Office if I don't have the original
    CDs?

    | > I also want to use Outlook Express in the new OS. And
    how about other
    | > applications which I may not have original anything?
    Adobe Premier, etc

    | > Thanks for info.

Windows XP