Slightly less than legal

Let's say I have a less than legal copy of Windows XP Professional Upgrade on
my computer. I just installed it to make sure that the hardware is running
properly, and to test out some software on it (I didn't have the money to buy
my own version right away after getting all the hardware for my new PC).

I want to do the right thing and get my own copy of it. Do I need to get
the full version of XP Professional, or should I just buy the upgrade
version? Also, how do I go about installing my new, fully legal version?
6 answers Last reply
More about slightly legal

    but I reckon if you buy the upgrade version [assuming you
    had a legal version of whatever you had before] and take
    no action at all you should be all right. The only
    downside to this is that Microsoft have made sure that the
    most widely circulated pirate product IDs are included in
    a list attatched to their upgrades - for instance SP2 - to
    make sure cheating scum can't take advantage of it. So...
    if you have used your 'mates' product ID you'll be OK I
    guess, if however you used a product ID for XP gained from
    an unknown source you may be better off re-installing the
    upgrade. Hope this helps.

    A lot less than legal. You are not legal at all. Go out and buy the product
    like everyone else.

    :
    : I want to do the right thing and get my own copy of it. Do I need to
    : get the full version of XP Professional, or should I just buy the
    : upgrade version? Also, how do I go about installing my new, fully
    : legal version?

    ---

    I know it isn't legal, and I admitted that in my comments "I want to do the
    right thing and get my own copy of it." I am going to buy my own copy of it,
    I'm just wondering what I need to get, and once I get it, how to install it.

    "It's Only me" wrote:

    > A lot less than legal. You are not legal at all. Go out and buy the product
    > like everyone else.
    >

    > "fst h2o" <fst h2o@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > : Let's say I have a less than legal copy of Windows XP Professional
    > : Upgrade on my computer. I just installed it to make sure that the
    > : hardware is running properly, and to test out some software on it (I
    > : didn't have the money to buy my own version right away after getting
    > : all the hardware for my new PC).
    > :
    > : I want to do the right thing and get my own copy of it. Do I need to
    > : get the full version of XP Professional, or should I just buy the
    > : upgrade version? Also, how do I go about installing my new, fully
    > : legal version?
    >

    > ---

    "fst h2o" <fst h2o@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Let's say I have a less than legal copy of Windows XP Professional Upgrade
    > on
    > my computer. I just installed it to make sure that the hardware is
    > running
    > properly, and to test out some software on it (I didn't have the money to
    > buy
    > my own version right away after getting all the hardware for my new PC).
    >
    > I want to do the right thing and get my own copy of it. Do I need to get
    > the full version of XP Professional, or should I just buy the upgrade
    > version? Also, how do I go about installing my new, fully legal version?

    You need to buy a Full Retail copy of Windows XP and perform a repair
    install. This will prompt you for the correct key of your new Full retail
    version and then you will be able to patch as desired to SP2 and beyond.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:29:03 -0700, fst h2o wrote:

    > Let's say I have a less than legal copy of Windows XP Professional Upgrade on
    > my computer. I just installed it to make sure that the hardware is running
    > properly, and to test out some software on it (I didn't have the money to buy
    > my own version right away after getting all the hardware for my new PC).
    >
    > I want to do the right thing and get my own copy of it. Do I need to get
    > the full version of XP Professional, or should I just buy the upgrade
    > version? Also, how do I go about installing my new, fully legal version?

    If you have a legal copy of your original Windows, get the upgrade CD.
    When/if you ever reinstall, XP setup will ask to see the CD for the
    previous Windows.

    If you don't have that CD, you'll want to get a full version instead.

    Either way, you can run setup and enter the new key.

    How To Change the Product Key at the Time of Activation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810892&Product=winxp

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Thank you for your help. I figured I had to buy a new full retail version,
    just didn't have the funds at the arrival of the components.

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP