recovering data from failed C: drive

my C drive went belly up (probably a boot sector virus) It won't boot
with error message "corrupt hal.dll" or some such thing. Went to
recovery console - can't even get directory listing of drive. "error in
directory enumeration". Tried chkdsk -p, it gave up 30% in with
unrecoverable errors.

Downloaded knoppix and inserted that cd and booted up. I can see all my
folders but "my documents" is locked up (I must have accidentally
protected it in windows). some folders also seem to have wrong size.
How do I remove this protection so I can restore these folders. (A way
to take over file ownership in knoppix). I have another drive in the
machine and I simply want to copy these files to that drive (is it as
simple as drag and drop in knoppix?)

thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about recovering data failed drive

    bootcfg /list and bootcfg /rebuild don't do anything. I tried going
    through setup process of install (not Repair option) to see if it will
    see an existing XP install. Nothing. It only sees that partition with
    and unrecognizable partition (instead of NTFS I see "unknown"). At this
    point it want's to create a new aprtition and install WinXp. I quit at
    that point.

    Try this

    HAL.DLL MISSING OR CORRUPT ERROR MESSAGE

    If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might
    simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is
    misconfigured.
    Here's what to do:
    Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
    At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
    Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
    installation of Windows you want to repair.
    Typically this will be #1
    Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
    Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
    Take out the CD ROM and type exit

    http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html

    "sid" <sridhara@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > my C drive went belly up (probably a boot sector virus) It won't boot
    > with error message "corrupt hal.dll" or some such thing. Went to
    > recovery console - can't even get directory listing of drive. "error in
    > directory enumeration". Tried chkdsk -p, it gave up 30% in with
    > unrecoverable errors.
    >
    > Downloaded knoppix and inserted that cd and booted up. I can see all my
    > folders but "my documents" is locked up (I must have accidentally
    > protected it in windows). some folders also seem to have wrong size.
    > How do I remove this protection so I can restore these folders. (A way
    > to take over file ownership in knoppix). I have another drive in the
    > machine and I simply want to copy these files to that drive (is it as
    > simple as drag and drop in knoppix?)
    >
    > thanks

Recovery Console Windows XP