Making a partition inactive ?

Just installed a second hardrive (secondhand) and its previously had an OS
installed on its first partition. In Computer Management its showing up as
an active partition which means I cant format it or delete the old OS. (Am
I right in thinking that only the C: partition on Disk 1 needs to be
active?). How can I change Disk 2 to make it inactive?
8 answers Last reply
More about making partition inactive

    Unless it is trying to boot from that disk/partition, I wouldn't mess with
    it.
    --
    A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!

    "Steve" wrote:
    > Just installed a second hardrive (secondhand) and its previously had an OS
    > installed on its first partition. In Computer Management its showing up as
    > an active partition which means I cant format it or delete the old OS. (Am
    > I right in thinking that only the C: partition on Disk 1 needs to be
    > active?). How can I change Disk 2 to make it inactive?

    Only the partition that does the loading (i.e. that contains the ntldr,
    boot.ini, and ntdetect.com files) needs to be marked "active". The
    OS itself can be in another partition (even in an extended partition)
    on another hard drive. What makes you think you can't remove the
    "active" flag? Have you run Disk Management from an OS on
    another partition?

    *TimDaniels*

    Hmm... Yeah.. thats what my instincts are telling me aswell.

    Its just that I'm recycling an old HD as my main ones full (and I'm skint).
    Being active means that I can only use 30 gig of a 40 gig drive as I cant
    delete a lot of old system files and stuff from it. Thanks for the advice
    tho'... I'll certainly take heed unless someone comes up with another way
    round it

    In article <dg5alk$je0$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
    tentenmusic@yahoo.co.uk, Steve says...

    > Hmm... Yeah.. thats what my instincts are telling me aswell.
    >
    > Its just that I'm recycling an old HD as my main ones full (and I'm skint).
    > Being active means that I can only use 30 gig of a 40 gig drive as I cant
    > delete a lot of old system files and stuff from it. Thanks for the advice
    > tho'... I'll certainly take heed unless someone comes up with another way
    > round it

    If you want to delete it as you said you tried, and don't care what's on
    it, than find out what kind of drive it is, download the manufacturer
    utility disk and use that to wipe it clean and re-format it..........

    Easiest way is to remove the partition in disk management, then create a new
    one. If you never want to mess with this again, create a logical partition
    in an extended partition area. An extended partition cannot be active in an
    MS operating system.

    Or just leave it alone. You should be able to format it if its not being
    used by your current XP for operation.

    A used hard drive, I would write zeroes to it using the hard drive
    manufactures utility first. Takes a few hours or more. Eradicates any
    possible virus. Then create a/some new partition(s).

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:
    > An extended partition cannot be active in an
    > MS operating system.

    I have, on a hard disk running Windows XP Pro,
    an Extended partition marked "active" as reported by
    Disk Management. It was set this way by a cloning
    utility which somehow thought I wanted an Extended
    partition to be created to house the clone. A Primary
    partition on the hard drive is also marked "active", and
    that is the partition that gets control from the MBR, so
    the "active" flag is apparently ignored by the MBR for
    Extended partitions and so it causes no problems. But...
    the Extended partition is still marked "active" (and I can't
    change the setting).

    *TimDaniels*

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:40:04 +0000 (UTC), "Steve" <tentenmusic@yahoo.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >Hmm... Yeah.. thats what my instincts are telling me aswell.
    >
    >Its just that I'm recycling an old HD as my main ones full (and I'm skint).
    >Being active means that I can only use 30 gig of a 40 gig drive as I cant
    >delete a lot of old system files and stuff from it.

    But why you think so? The "Active" flag means no more that you CAN boot from
    this drive -- but only if some other conditions are holding true.

    And you can delete ALL from this secondary drive, or format it (the "Active"
    flag won't be reset while formatting though) with no problems, as if this flag
    is not present.

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > Thanks for the advice
    >tho'... I'll certainly take heed unless someone comes up with another way
    >round it
    >

    >"NotMe" <cargod01@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Unless it is trying to boot from that disk/partition, I wouldn't mess with
    >> it.
    >> --
    >> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    >>
    >> "Steve" <tentenmusic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>> Just installed a second hardrive (secondhand) and its previously had an
    >>> OS installed on its first partition. In Computer Management its showing
    >>> up as an active partition which means I cant format it or delete the old
    >>> OS. (Am I right in thinking that only the C: partition on Disk 1 needs to
    >>> be active?). How can I change Disk 2 to make it inactive?

    That's odd. How would the PC know which logical drive to access if you had
    more than one?

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "Lil' Dave" wrote:
    > > An extended partition cannot be active in an
    > > MS operating system.
    >

    > I have, on a hard disk running Windows XP Pro,
    > an Extended partition marked "active" as reported by
    > Disk Management. It was set this way by a cloning
    > utility which somehow thought I wanted an Extended
    > partition to be created to house the clone. A Primary
    > partition on the hard drive is also marked "active", and
    > that is the partition that gets control from the MBR, so
    > the "active" flag is apparently ignored by the MBR for
    > Extended partitions and so it causes no problems. But...
    > the Extended partition is still marked "active" (and I can't
    > change the setting).
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

Partition Microsoft Windows XP