How to re-install windows after wipe

I want to wipe my hard drive becuase over a couple of years it has become a lot slower and i want to try wiping it before i start upgrading it. How can i compeletely wipe a disk but and then re-install windows on it without having to buy a new one. i don't have the original windows disk on it. Do i use the recovery disk, or do i only wipe the non-os partition.
3 answers Last reply
More about install windows wipe
  1. You'll need to have the Windows CD or another form of the Windows OS itself to reinstall. The recovery CD is only used to help repair a current installation.

If you've lost the Windows CD, you can try contacting Microsoft to see if you can get another disc.
  2. CDdude55 said:
    You'll need to have the Windows CD or another form of the Windows OS itself to reinstall. The recovery CD is only used to help repair a current installation.

If you've lost the Windows CD, you can try contacting Microsoft to see if you can get another disc.

since when can't you reload a system from the recovery disk/partition?
  3. daswilhelm said:
    since when can't you reload a system from the recovery disk/partition?

Never heard of a OS reinstallation through a recovery disk, granted, i'm ignorant about it since i have never had use a recovery disk and haven't owned an OEM machine is years.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7