Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Missing device driver message when trying to install Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
10 October 2012 07:25:56

Hi everyone,

I built my first computer yesterday, and for quite a while everything seemed to go well. My BIOS is working fine, hard drive is visible etc. However when I try to install Windows 7 Home Premium (system builder edition) I get the message "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing".

Solutions I have already attempted:
- Transferred dvd boot disk over to a USB key as I am using an external DVD drive (that connects via usb) and thought that might be the problem. I followed this guide here. Same problem.
- Now having the flash boot drive, I tried switching it back and forth between USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0) after hitting cancel and going back to the initial start screen. I can't find the link that suggested that solution, but suffice to say it didn't work
- Tried plugging the flash drive and dvd drive into a USB 2.0 port instead
- Tried unplugging my SSD and plugging in my HDD instead to see if it was causing the problem. It was not.
- Tried inserting motherboard driver disk when the system asks for drivers. Nothing changes, and the system can't even see the motherboard driver disk

At this point I'm running out of ideas, other than that I somehow got a bad windows 7 install disk (which seems extremely unlikely given that I bought a system builder OEM 64bit which came in a factory-sealed case).

If anyone can give me any guidance as to how to proceed from here, I would really appreciate it!

--------------------------
Specs

Processor: Intel i7-3770K
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: Patriot 8GB Viper 3 1600MHz (2x4Gb) RAM
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA III
HDD: WD 1TB 7200RPM 64MB cache
Graphics: eVGA Geforce GTX660Ti+ 3GB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair TX550M Modular

-----------------------------

EDIT: Been going through forum posts of people with similar problems for the past few hours, just came across this image:

The above shows what I see.

This one confuses me a bit; when I get to this screen, no drives are visible other than Boot (X:)  . Is this a problem?
10 October 2012 09:23:55

Update/bump:

Just flashed my BIOS to the latest revision; no change.

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
10 October 2012 11:04:22

cd / dvd driver is for the cd/dvd drive on your system the ssd or the hdd take the name and model of that drive go to the drive maker site and load after instal the driver
Related resources
17 October 2012 07:00:59

Best answer selected by DifferentFrogs.
17 October 2012 07:02:05

I found the problem and solved it: I was indeed missing drivers. I don't know whether they were usb drivers, drivers for my external dvd drive, or something else.

At any rate, the solution was to buy a SATA internal dvd drive; installing windows using that gave me no problems whatsoever.
31 March 2013 07:34:04

scout_03 said:
cd / dvd driver is for the cd/dvd drive on your system the ssd or the hdd take the name and model of that drive go to the drive maker site and load after instal the driver