Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
29 June 2005 02:16:07

Okay I have a Gateway 4100 with a New drive (IDE 80 Gigs) I just got in from
Gateway to replace the one that was Bad. When I boot to the Winodws Xp pro CD
I get the Prompt " Press any key to boot from CD" I do so then I see it go to
the next screen That say's " Setup is inspecting your Hardware configuration"
After that point the screen is Blank but the computer is still on....

ANy Ideas?

Video Card is good and the HD is New from Gateway.

Thank You
Sosak
29 June 2005 02:34:02

You have a hardware configuration problem.

Assuming that the XP CD is OK, and that this system is compatible with
windows XP, you have a hardware issue, it could be as simple as a BIOS
setting or jumper setting on the HDD, or it could be an actual hardware fault.

ensure your hardware configuration is correct,

get the hardware tested.

"sosak" wrote:

> Okay I have a Gateway 4100 with a New drive (IDE 80 Gigs) I just got in from
> Gateway to replace the one that was Bad. When I boot to the Winodws Xp pro CD
> I get the Prompt " Press any key to boot from CD" I do so then I see it go to
> the next screen That say's " Setup is inspecting your Hardware configuration"
> After that point the screen is Blank but the computer is still on....
>
> ANy Ideas?
>
> Video Card is good and the HD is New from Gateway.
>
> Thank You
> Sosak
Anonymous
29 June 2005 02:49:39

Thank you for your response Bud, Yeah I checked Jumper setting and have tried
both CS and Master and niether work....I am in the process of testing out the
Drive With Western Digitals "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic " tool. Well se how it
goes...

"anon" wrote:

> You have a hardware configuration problem.
>
> Assuming that the XP CD is OK, and that this system is compatible with
> windows XP, you have a hardware issue, it could be as simple as a BIOS
> setting or jumper setting on the HDD, or it could be an actual hardware fault.
>
> ensure your hardware configuration is correct,
>
> get the hardware tested.
>
> "sosak" wrote:
>
> > Okay I have a Gateway 4100 with a New drive (IDE 80 Gigs) I just got in from
> > Gateway to replace the one that was Bad. When I boot to the Winodws Xp pro CD
> > I get the Prompt " Press any key to boot from CD" I do so then I see it go to
> > the next screen That say's " Setup is inspecting your Hardware configuration"
> > After that point the screen is Blank but the computer is still on....
> >
> > ANy Ideas?
> >
> > Video Card is good and the HD is New from Gateway.
> >
> > Thank You
> > Sosak
Related resources
Anonymous
29 June 2005 09:24:02

I have the same problem as you. My computer is a Dell dimension 3000 and I
have call the support line and they fix the problem. The process as follow:

1. Use a Win98 startup disk to Boot up your computer. The reason for this
is, it need to use some command within the Win98 startup disk.

2. Change the drive to the RAM drive that contain all startup utilities, it
may be E: if you have CD rom or D:. Just cleck where all the utilties locate.

3.Type Debug on the DOS prompt and hit Enter.
the following are commands you type, beware of the space between each.

-f 200 l1000 0 hit Enter
-A CS:100 hit Enter
it will then show some number like this xxxx:x010 on a new line (where x is
number of you hardDisk
After you type mov ax,301 hit Enter
it will show xxxx:0103
After that you type mov bx,200 hit Enter
it will show xxxx:0106
Then you type mov Cx,1 hit Enter
it then shows xxxx:0109
type mov Dx,80 hit Enter
it shows xxxx:010C
Type Int 13 hit Enter
it will show xxxx:101E
Type Int 20 hit Enter
new line show xxxx:0110 hit Enter
Type -g
it display "Teminated program normally" then power off the system and turn
it back on to see if the problem solve. Good luck!

"sosak" wrote:

> Okay I have a Gateway 4100 with a New drive (IDE 80 Gigs) I just got in from
> Gateway to replace the one that was Bad. When I boot to the Winodws Xp pro CD
> I get the Prompt " Press any key to boot from CD" I do so then I see it go to
> the next screen That say's " Setup is inspecting your Hardware configuration"
> After that point the screen is Blank but the computer is still on....
>
> ANy Ideas?
>
> Video Card is good and the HD is New from Gateway.
>
> Thank You
> Sosak
Anonymous
30 June 2005 00:13:53

"sosak" <sosak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your response Bud, Yeah I checked Jumper setting and have
> tried
> both CS and Master and niether work....I am in the process of testing out
> the
> Drive With Western Digitals "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic " tool. Well se how
> it
> goes...

If the new HDD is a stand alone master, you may not require a jumper

rgds
Li'l Roberto
1 January 2009 13:25:17

after changing graphic card to 4850 HIS i have the same problem as you!
installation Windows CD is OK and not problem (when i had previous graphic card on my computer (8500GT) i could install this windows properly ) but since changing to 4850 i have this problem. after inspecting hardware and loading basic installation file ,computer goes to black screen (without system restating or turning off and i had to rest computer )
but i have no problem with windows vista installation wizard.only on windows xp installation i have this problem . can anybody help me ?

5 January 2009 01:39:42

Same problem here. Happened after auto restart on Pinnacle HD Pro Stick software re-installation. Boot doesn't seem to recognize disk. System Recovery from CD doesn't run with the disk installed (but does for other hard disks I swap in). Disk passes all Dell diagnostics tests. Disk works fine in usb hard disk enclosure. Just doesn't work in my Inspiron 9200 hard disk slot (again, other hard drives do work). Love to hear any suggestions anyone can offer.
10 January 2009 16:20:41

mghlord said:
after changing graphic card to 4850 HIS i have the same problem as you!
installation Windows CD is OK and not problem (when i had previous graphic card on my computer (8500GT) i could install this windows properly ) but since changing to 4850 i have this problem. after inspecting hardware and loading basic installation file ,computer goes to black screen (without system restating or turning off and i had to rest computer )
but i have no problem with windows vista installation wizard.only on windows xp installation i have this problem . can anybody help me ?

bump for this problem
10 January 2009 21:21:48

Do you have a monitor plug on your motherboard ?
You can try to switch to that one in bios to eliminate the video card as causing the problem
I am thinking xp doesn't have the driver needed for that video card
This is just my opinion based on the fact that vista doesn't have this problem
Anonymous
22 January 2009 02:49:27

I had a similar problem. Immediately following the "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..." message, the screen went black.

In my case, there was an existing Fedora (linux) install on the HDD. I ran dban's Boot and Kill (<http://www.dban.org/&gt;) to clear the hard drive (simply used Erase mode).

Retried, afterwards and...success!!!

My guess is that GRUB (linux bootloader) was causing the problem.

25 January 2009 10:47:32

status1 said:
Do you have a monitor plug on your motherboard ?
You can try to switch to that one in bios to eliminate the video card as causing the problem
I am thinking xp doesn't have the driver needed for that video card
This is just my opinion based on the fact that vista doesn't have this problem

I have this problem as well.
I have an ACER Aspire 8930 laptop which came with VISTA and I'm trying to load XPsp3 on it .
It has a Nvidia GF9700M video and as soon as it leaves the BIOS "boot from CD prompt" the screen
is black/ blank right up untill you get to the blue windows XP Welcome screen. Now this isnt a problem
as windows will continue to load after this point anyway.
However The VISTA partition was loaded with SATA AHCI mode in BIOS and VISTA BSOD's when you switch the SATA back to IDE mode. Alternatively Windows XP BSOD's when trying to install in AHCI mode but at least you get to WELCOME screen in IDE mode. I dont even know if you can get AHCI supported driver to preload at the XP install prompt buts thats mute because I cant even see the screen to load it anyway.

I tried and external monitor plugged ito the vga connector and same thing.
26 May 2009 13:01:35

Quote:
I had a similar problem. Immediately following the "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..." message, the screen went black.

In my case, there was an existing Fedora (linux) install on the HDD. I ran dban's Boot and Kill (<http://www.dban.org/&gt;) to clear the hard drive (simply used Erase mode).

Retried, afterwards and...success!!!

My guess is that GRUB (linux bootloader) was causing the problem.

I have the exact same issue happeingin to me, i installed FC9 and observe that i can no longer install XP now, (same issue as above. I need the data on my other partitions so would not like to use dban bott and kill. what do i do then...

SOS :(
15 September 2009 02:39:33

Quote:
I had a similar problem. Immediately following the "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..." message, the screen went black.

In my case, there was an existing Fedora (linux) install on the HDD. I ran dban's Boot and Kill (<http://www.dban.org/&gt;) to clear the hard drive (simply used Erase mode).

Retried, afterwards and...success!!!

My guess is that GRUB (linux bootloader) was causing the problem.

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I have Fedora installed. For few days it was ok but now i came to know dat xp boot having a problem and also giving blank screen after msg "Setup is inspecting your hardware"........... :(

Please can u tell me the detailed workout. Also, is there a soln by which hard disk contents should not be erased......

Anonymous
19 October 2009 10:09:16

I am by no means a computer expert, but after a whole weekend of trying to install windows xp to a brand new western digital hardrive, browsing internet forums, I stumbled on a solution which is simpler than I thought in my case since I was installing to a new drive with no data on it. As it turns out, I couldn't use the NTFS formatting that is included in the windows setup process. I had to use Parted Magic, which runs on ram and the cd drive to format my hardrive to NTFS. Then, when I restarted with the windows setup cd and it asked about partitioning the hardrive, I chose the leave it as it is setting (since it was already formatted by the other program). When it finished installing the setup files and restarted, the Windows graphical screen was up for the first time instead of the "disk read error" message that had been happening over and over.
Anonymous
3 February 2010 18:18:47

This worked for me. Thank you.

"I had a similar problem. Immediately following the "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..." message, the screen went black.

In my case, there was an existing Fedora (linux) install on the HDD. I ran dban's Boot and Kill (<http://www.dban.org/&gt; ) to clear the hard drive (simply used Erase mode). "

Anonymous
12 March 2010 04:49:49

This means Setup can not access your hard drive.

You need to use a third party format bootable CD.

I suggest UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD), but you can use whatever. Reformat the drive and then try the Windows setup again.
Anonymous
17 March 2010 22:38:08

If you have a Linux distro installed, boot into Linux and run fdisk on the drive. For example if Linux is installed on the first SATA device, you would run:

fdisk /dev/sda

Then press p to list the partitions

Then delete each partition individually by pressing d then entering the partition number. This worked for me!

JG
2 September 2010 08:17:39

I had this same problem where when you load the XP cd it says "setup is inspecting hardware configuration" and then you get a blank screen. I plugged the drive into another computer and opened the Disk Management console (right click on My Computer -> Manage -> and on the left click Disk Management). I then deleted the partition on the drive and ran the XP install again. This time everything was back to normal.
Anonymous
29 September 2010 15:58:01

"sosak" wrote:

> Okay I have a Gateway 4100 with a New drive (IDE 80 Gigs) I just got in from
> Gateway to replace the one that was Bad. When I boot to the Winodws Xp pro CD
> I get the Prompt " Press any key to boot from CD" I do so then I see it go to
> the next screen That say's " Setup is inspecting your Hardware configuration"
> After that point the screen is Blank but the computer is still on....
>
> ANy Ideas?
>
> Video Card is good and the HD is New from Gateway.
>
> Thank You
> Sosak

19 January 2011 00:25:21

Quote:
I had a similar problem. Immediately following the "Setup is inspecting your hardware configuration..." message, the screen went black.

In my case, there was an existing Fedora (linux) install on the HDD. I ran dban's Boot and Kill (<http://www.dban.org/&gt;) to clear the hard drive (simply used Erase mode).

Retried, afterwards and...success!!!

My guess is that GRUB (linux bootloader) was causing the problem.

That worked for me as well (I had Linux on before). Thank you!!
10 May 2011 05:38:20

Awesome Thread! How long does it take for dbans boot and nook to clear the drive? It is saying it could take around 15 hours? Is there a faster way?
5 July 2011 17:37:18

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd add to this thread as it just helped me solve an issue I was having with an Office PC.

Exactly the same thing, XP cd in, "Inspecting hardware", then a black screen.

I knew there was linux on the drive. Swapped it with a spare 80GB and boom, worked first time.

It appears that Linux does not like to be over-written by XP.

Thanks to all the above posters for your help! :)
5 September 2011 09:28:47

Quote:
I am by no means a computer expert, but after a whole weekend of trying to install windows xp to a brand new western digital hardrive, browsing internet forums, I stumbled on a solution which is simpler than I thought in my case since I was installing to a new drive with no data on it. As it turns out, I couldn't use the NTFS formatting that is included in the windows setup process. I had to use Parted Magic, which runs on ram and the cd drive to format my hardrive to NTFS. Then, when I restarted with the windows setup cd and it asked about partitioning the hardrive, I chose the leave it as it is setting (since it was already formatted by the other program). When it finished installing the setup files and restarted, the Windows graphical screen was up for the first time instead of the "disk read error" message that had been happening over and over.

WoW! Let me give you a super-thank-you! You may not be an "expert", but you are certainly ahead of me.. I don't fully understand the difference in the NTFS file systems, but, whatever, it works and that's all I "need" to know. This "problem" has been driving me crazy and, frankly, making me look stupid since I couldn't even install Windows on a new hard drive. You saved me and saved my face. Thanks again..
5 September 2011 09:41:30

I recently bought a number of surplus, P4, PCs from my local university and was having major problems installing Windows XP. I have been using new, 500GB hard drives and would achieve various stages of results with the XP installs. Most of the time, I would end up with the PC locking up after it had copied the XP install files and was to switch to the install program's graphical interface. Following the above anonymous' suggestion, I downloaded Parted Magic and formatted the new drive with their version of the NTFS file system. Thankfully, it worked. I am eternally grateful because I have a lot of computers left to do. This is a very helpful and greatly useful thread. Thanks a lot.
30 October 2011 23:52:21

Quote:

Okay I have a Gateway 4100 with a New drive (IDE 80 Gigs) I just got in from
Gateway to replace the one that was Bad. When I boot to the Winodws Xp pro CD
I get the Prompt " Press any key to boot from CD" I do so then I see it go to
the next screen That say's " Setup is inspecting your Hardware configuration"
After that point the screen is Blank but the computer is still on....

ANy Ideas?

Video Card is good and the HD is New from Gateway.

Thank You
Sosak

seems to bee fiew things... ur memory is not setup as well, ur cd/dvd drive can't read disc or disc was demaged.... make sure for cabels on drives (prim/sec, jumpers if is 2 drives on one IDE cabel etc...)

Reason memory: it first steps on windows was loaded onto memory as ram drive... n if is ur memroy incorected setuped it was there problem...
Reason CD/DVD Drive: it is low quality of drives what we buying today... u can buy it todayed, tomorow will not will be able to read data on cd/dvd discs...
Reason CD/DVD: u r maked custom installation disk [unattended, XP Black edition (never use couse is so bugged, any of fiew days i need to repair somthing n it is alot of bugs I called it as pirated, when is pirate used computers?:S) or maked custom installation disk with nlite etc....]

Best Regards
30 January 2012 05:18:29

220477,1,280568 said:

Hey:

I was having the same problem as well with a Gateway 6100 series today (01/29/2012). In my case my, my 80GB hard drive went T's up. I researched the HD replacement. For our series of laptops, the max GB we can buy is a PATA 120GB. I have researched whether or not a BIOS update would take advantage of hard drive bigger than that. My research concluded that it would not.

Now back to your problem. The problem with the screen going blank in my case was that Windows 7 does not support my native Intel VGA card and the generic driver takes over at the point of interrupting the full booting process and the reason why the screen goes blank.

So what I did was go to Gateway and get the VGA driver for my card and installed the correct driver anyways with Windows 7 loaded.

At the end of the installation it asks to restart the computer which I did, but during the boot, I pressed F10, pressed 1 for "boot from CD/DVD" with the XP disk in the CD drive and the process initiated.

If you fail to stop the booting process with Windows 7 install, it will tell you your VGA card is not supported and will automatically revert to a generic driver and you will have to try the process again.

The video card being good and it being compatible may or may not be the issue.

Good luck dude or dudette,

D. Brown, Olympia, WA

30 January 2012 05:22:17

Hey:
I was having the same problem as well with a Gateway 6100 series today (01/29/2011). In my case my, my 80GB hard drive went T's up. I researched the HD replacement. For our series of laptops, the max GB we can buy is a PATA 120GB. I have researched whether or not a BIOS update would take advantage of hard drive bigger than that. My research concluded that it would not.

[...]

26 July 2012 22:59:36

Quote:

"sosak" wrote:

> Okay I have a Gateway 4100 with a New drive (IDE 80 Gigs) I just got in from
> Gateway to replace the one that was Bad. When I boot to the Winodws Xp pro CD
> I get the Prompt " Press any key to boot from CD" I do so then I see it go to
> the next screen That say's " Setup is inspecting your Hardware configuration"
> After that point the screen is Blank but the computer is still on....
>
> ANy Ideas?
>
> Video Card is good and the HD is New from Gateway.
>
> Thank You
> Sosak

Hi Friends

this is thirumalai from sankara arts clg

i will do it working very well

your insert cd is windows xp did not work means
insert the windows 2000 after upgrade windows xp

thank you

24 August 2012 15:47:30

Hello , I'm having similar problems with my pc , I've been trying to reinstal windows xp for quite some time with no succes , the setup just stops at "Setup is inspecting ...." The HDD's are ok , I've tested both and no error showed up , I've striped the pc so I would only have the graphics card , cpu , one ram , one hdd and dvd rom , I tried installing from CD and USB flash drive , I used dban to completely erase the hdd's and then formated them using parted magic in ntfs file format .

Windows 7 and Vista install with no problems only xp won't install. I had xp installed before , might the problem be from an updated bios? the update is from 2007.

What can I do?
14 May 2014 18:51:57

This problem is often caused by partitions not supported or reconized by Windows XP, might be old linux / unix partitions or some other partitions left on your harddrive by another OS.

My solution is usually to format the drive completely using something like: http://www.sysresccd.org/
1 - Get the cd (iso)
2 - Burn it to a cd
3 - Boot from the cd
4 - Start the graphical menu (From the menu)
5 - You will see a simple gui with a terminal open
6 - Start gparted from the terminal, by typing: gparted [ENTER]
7 - Format your disk or delete all your partitions and apply
8 - Close gparted, restart the computer by typing: shutdown -r now [ENTER]
9 - Insert your Windows XP cd again, and retry your installation (crossed fingers)

Hope this helps :)