basic sound card and mixer info

Hi,

I will buy a "budget" home studio equipement wich will have at least a
preamp and a headphone monitoring. I thought that it would be a good
thing to buy the M-audio audiophile 24/96 and a small mixer.

I would be able to upgrade in the future buying a better sound card or
adding a better preamp if need be.

My questions are :

1)
What characteristic should I look for in order to hear at the same
time my input and the music already recorded ? I guess that would be a
bus something ..

2)
What mixer (or even sound card) should I look for for price around 300
euros/$ ?

Thanks in advance.

Jack.

PS :

I know that buying an EMU 1820 should give me a better sound but I am
looking at the long term and if the EMU 1820 is not compatible with my
system in 3-4 years I will have lost the money.
2 answers Last reply
More about basic sound card mixer info

    "jack" <jacques.coeurs@laposte.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I will buy a "budget" home studio equipement wich will have at least a
    > preamp and a headphone monitoring. I thought that it would be a good
    > thing to buy the M-audio audiophile 24/96 and a small mixer.

    If you are going to run that mixer into the audio interface, it would be
    better if the audio interface had standard production levels, as opposed to
    the AP2496 consumer levels.

    > I would be able to upgrade in the future buying a better sound card or
    > adding a better preamp if need be.

    If you do a good job of buying your first audio interface, your next one
    might be purchased for the purpose of having many more channels.

    > My questions are :

    > 1)
    > What characteristic should I look for in order to hear at the same
    > time my input and the music already recorded ? I guess that would be a
    > bus something ..

    A headphone jack on the mixer, for listening to your input, and a line
    and/or tape input on the mixer for listening to the music you already
    recorded.

    > 2)
    > What mixer (or even sound card) should I look for for price around 300
    > euros/$ ?

    Yamaha, Behringer

    :
    : 1)
    : What characteristic should I look for in order to hear at the same
    : time my input and the music already recorded ? I guess that would be a
    : bus something ..

    You will want to avoid going through the computer with the sound you are making live. The
    latency (delay) of the computer will mess you up. Play the computer music into the mixer and
    then send it with your live signal to the phones output in the mixer. Route only the live
    signal back to the computer for recording. Buy an application that has full delay compensation
    for the recorded signal.
    : : Thanks in advance.
    :
    : Jack.