Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is the AMD FX 8350 good for gaming

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
15 December 2012 02:25:04

i have more or less decided im getting it but is it good fo gaming? can it handle games like battlefield 3 etc on medium-high settings. im going to do a lot of multitasking in the background but this is the main thing.

is it any better than the i5 3470 or I5 3570K? i dont care about performance per watt or overall price, just how fast it performs

EDIT: this time for performance per watt and overall price, is it any better then the i7 3770k cpu?

More about : amd 8350 good gaming

Related resources
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 02:42:13

Flomps said:
but wouldnt the fact that amd fx 8350 has 8 (albeit not true) cores mean that it is must better at multithreading and multitasking


Yes, but games rarely utilize more than 4 cores. If your primary focus is gaming then an i5 will be a better choice. If you're planning to use much multithreaded work and also gaming then the 8350 will be the better choice. Either will game fine though, it will be the gpu that limits you the majority of the time.
15 December 2012 02:44:17

intel has better ipc count, amd has better core count, both overclock well, for gaming though its ipc that matters so i5>8350 for gaming but for multithreaded apps photoshop/video transcoding 8350>i5
my oppinion anyways, some one will come with graphs in a mo ;) 
15 December 2012 02:44:21

The FX 8350 has a ton of L2 AND L3 cache, what does that mean
15 December 2012 02:48:10

i do loads of gaming, and loads of multitasking as well, which processor has the best balance between the two? ive checked benchmarks but its better hearing the opinion of a human
15 December 2012 03:02:55

As you can tell there is much debate over this very topic. I would suggest the 8350 as the more well rounded for a couple of reasons.

First, yes, there is a difference in the gaming performance. Are you going to notice it in more than a couple games, no. The majority of games are going to be limited by your GPU. Long story short no one is going to solve any gaming bottlenecks by going from an 8350 to an i5.
Second, you will notice a difference between the two when you start getting into multithreaded apps.
The things that Intel has a clear advantage in right now is per clock performance and power consumption.
15 December 2012 03:25:46

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2012/comp...[5755]=on&prod[5877]=on

If you don't mind loosing some frames per second in gaming then I think this processor is right for you.

Crysis II shows a difference of 5fps between the FX8350 and i5 3570K. 5 frames is not much when we are talking about over 100fps. That and most monitors have a refresh rate of 60Hz.
a c 154 à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:06:18

Just look at the benchmarks. Is it good enough yes but is is great no. Personally goog enough isn't good enough for me. If I didn't have the money right away I would save up and get the better, faster I5.











a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:20:57

Let me tell ya something kid. The FX 8350 works Fine for gaming. The i5 does perform better, but only in single threaded games. Multi threading is the future. The FX performs great in games like FC3, BF3 and even does well in Metro 2033. The FX 8350 spanks the i7 in multi-threading xD
a c 154 à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:29:44

griptwister said:
Let me tell ya something kid. The FX 8350 works Fine for gaming. The i5 does perform better, but only in single threaded games. Multi threading is the future. The FX performs great in games like FC3, BF3 and even does well in Metro 2033. The FX 8350 spanks the i7 in multi-threading xD


No it really doesn't. In single threaded programs it gets stomped by the I5 plain and simple and you can easily see that in the benchmarks . Everything else you said is compleatly pointless and irrelevant. The future is going to more threads but we are not near that point and games are even further. Games still only use two core and the few that actually do use four cores are few and far between. By the time we hit the point of games actually start using more cores and threads the Piledriver will long be dead and gone. Stop with the future BS and look at the present. The I5 is clearly the better CPU especially for gaming. Like I said if you like buying something that is good enough I don't really care but I don't see the point of buying a CPU no on impulse when you can save up another mere hundred dollars and get the far better I5.
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:37:54

Lol, I remember when the i7 was hot shizz and intel fanboys were saying, "Multi-threading is the future" but now that AMD made decent multi-threaded CPU, the bandwagoners say, "Games only use 2-4 cores." If that was true, most modern games wouldn't be doing well on a vishera CPU. Infact. the FX processor still provides Stable FPS. Intel is king, but for the overall price, AMD is cheaper... And provides an upgrade path to Steamroller. Some of us don't have a Mere Hundred Dollars. The FX 8350 is right on the i5 and i7's a$$ in most benchmarks. Except skyrim lol.
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:44:50

Flomps said:
i have more or less decided im getting it but is it good fo gaming? can it handle games like battlefield 3 etc on medium-high settings. im going to do a lot of multitasking in the background but this is the main thing.

is it any better than the i5 3470 or I5 3570K? i dont care about performance per watt or overall price, just how fast it performs

EDIT: this time for performance per watt and overall price, is it any better then the i7 3770k cpu?


Performance per watt, the i7 is better. *edit so these guys don't get me wrong* If you want decent performance and multithreading, FX 8350 is what you want. But if if you want THE BEST, go i7 if you can afford it. I say, Go for which one you want most, you won't be disappointed either way.
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:49:03

is 8350 good for gaming ? YES IT IS
is it better than an i5 ? NO IT ISN'T
so which one should you get for gaming ? i5
a c 154 à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:54:45

griptwister said:
Lol, I remember when the i7 was hot shizz and intel fanboys were saying, "Multi-threading is the future" but now that AMD made decent multi-threaded CPU, the bandwagoners say, "Games only use 2-4 cores." If that was true, most modern games wouldn't be doing well on a vishera CPU. Infact. the FX processor still provides Stable FPS. Intel is king, but for the overall price, AMD is cheaper... And provides an upgrade path to Steamroller. Some of us don't have a Mere Hundred Dollars. The FX 8350 is right on the i5 and i7's a$$ in most benchmarks. Except skyrim lol.


Yea and it's cheaper for a reason. If the so called 8 core Bulldozer and Piledriver performed to the same level as an I5 it would be priced accordingly. As for this part
Quote:
"Games only use 2-4 cores." If that was true, most modern games wouldn't be doing well on a vishera CPU.
"IF that is true" it is true because the Piledriver doesn't do as good in gaming. Your comment just contridicted your whole argument and just confimed what I said and what the benchmarks show. There is a reason Piledriver is cheaper compared to Intel. Maybe if people would lay off the beer and Mc Donalds they would see they can pretty quickly make up the difference and get a much better computer.
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 12:55:22

mohit9206 said:
is 8350 good for gaming ? YES IT IS
is it better than an i5 ? NO IT ISN'T
so which one should you get for gaming ? i5

This guy. Spot on. I B Jelly.
15 December 2012 12:59:26

get quad gtx680 or quad hd7970 1st before u can see any noticeable difference between i5 3570k and fx8350

a pentium g860 can be a capable cpu for gaming when u have a decent graphic card

unless u have insanely powerful graphic card setup, both cpu will work just fine in most game, few games might favour one or each other, but the difference is very marginal
a c 154 à CPUs
15 December 2012 13:04:41

lengcaifai said:
get quad gtx680 or quad hd7970 1st before u can see any noticeable difference between i5 3570k and fx8350

a pentium g860 can be a capable cpu for gaming when u have a decent graphic card

unless u have insanely powerful graphic card setup, both cpu will work just fine in most game, few games might favour one or each other, but the difference is very marginal


Are you on drugs there is no point in getting three or four high-end video cards. That would be close to 2000 dollars and no game is really going to use four high-end video cards, most games are fine on one high-end video card.
a c 154 à CPUs
15 December 2012 13:11:15

mohit9206 said:
is 8350 good for gaming ? YES IT IS
is it better than an i5 ? NO IT ISN'T

so which one should you get for gaming ? i5


Yes exactly right.
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 13:15:26

lengcaifai said:
get quad gtx680 or quad hd7970 1st before u can see any noticeable difference between i5 3570k and fx8350

a pentium g860 can be a capable cpu for gaming when u have a decent graphic card

unless u have insanely powerful graphic card setup, both cpu will work just fine in most game, few games might favour one or each other, but the difference is very marginal


LOL! I get your drift though...
15 December 2012 13:26:14

FX 8350 is almost as good as i5 in games but there's some games that loves Intel's platform i.e Skyrim and a few others. AMD is in a bad position right now and if you don't mind a few FPS less in a few games then go for the FX to help them out. We sure need AMD to deter Intel from total monopoly of the market.

Intel is king and there's no denying it but AMD is evolving what the CPU is and I like how they're the ones bringing forth this new arch of theirs while Intel is too conservative and don't like innovation too much.

If you don't mind AMD 's bottomline then ignore my post.
15 December 2012 14:43:18

hey guys, thanks for the help. the thing is i can find an fx 8350 and an i5 at the same price, but i dont know which one to choose. why? because ive already chosen my components for the fx 8350 but want to see if its worth the money.

i'd probably do web developing, (using Dreamweaver CS6) and a few others, playing games such as BF3 and FPS'S ill be playing skyrim too, and minecraft. ill be video editing/rendering (only a tiny bit though), surfing the internet, and making applications/programs, and watching 1080p videos all on a 1080p screen. all at the same time , Sometimes, normally just googlechrome and 1 other application. with a RADEON HD 7770 (upgrading to 7970 soon) so. after hearing my long list of thigs which would be better.

Thanks,

P.S: my relative has an I5 3470 and i dont find it as fast as i like, heck it cant even play minecraft on high settings without stuttering with massive fps drops.

EDIT: the I5 3570K is 10 pounds more expensive
15 December 2012 17:09:03

amd fx 8350 is the best cpu from amd so u cant get any better better perfomance from amd and if u get and i5 u can upgrade to i7 i f u want more perfoamnce
simple as that
and an other thing i5 and 8350 have same perfoamce in almost every game
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 17:54:22

Your relative must have a pretty poor video card then, eh?
- Since they can't even run Minecraft without it stuttering, maybe they're using the free integrated GPU on the Core i5?


- Looks like a really bad deal to me.
- The above graph was taken from a Radeon HD 7970 3GB card using v12.3 of the drivers.

The Core i5 outperforms the AMD-8350 in every game, the performance isn't close.
- performance including the minimum frame rate and stuttering.

1 in 8 frames will stutter on the AMD-8350 due to it's design, the Intel Core i5 is much smoother.
- The reason for this is that it is really just a 4 core CPU with SMT, the resource contention within the AMD-8350 makes it terrible to game on.
15 December 2012 18:19:23

Scott_D_Bowen said:
Your relative must have a pretty poor video card then, eh?
- Since they can't even run Minecraft without it stuttering, maybe they're using the free integrated GPU on the Core i5?

http://techreport.com/r.x/amd-fx-8350/crysis-latency.gif
- Looks like a really bad deal to me.
- The above graph was taken from a Radeon HD 7970 3GB card using v12.3 of the drivers.

The Core i5 outperforms the AMD-8350 in every game, the performance isn't close.
- performance including the minimum frame rate and stuttering.

1 in 8 frames will stutter on the AMD-8350 due to it's design, the Intel Core i5 is much smoother.
- The reason for this is that it is really just a 4 core CPU with SMT, the resource contention within the AMD-8350 makes it terrible to game on.


1 in 8 frames do Not stutter. atleast i think they dont
2.i dont even know what latencies mean
3. BF3 multi-threading much?

im not being means or anything but saying the 8350 is terrible to game on is a bit too much.

also, im buying a sempron 145 to flash my bios (asus M5A78L-M/USB3) unless theres a cheaper way to do so?

gaming is what i do most, but read my list on the last post. could the i5 multitask that much (compared to the amd fx 8350 anyway)
15 December 2012 18:28:17

by the way, as long as the games have an fps of 50+ im okay

also ill be playing BF3,BOII,starcraft 2,minecraft,skyrim (not much), borderlands 1 and 2 and a few more,generally fps's, rts's that kind of thing.
15 December 2012 18:55:48

Scott, that graph shows 8350 much better than 8150 and VERY close to intel ones, maybe you should post another one which is clearer
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 21:24:34

Go i5 it's clearly what you want and favor. If you want an i5 go for it. But the FX is for those of us who want a good price on a processor. The fact that ist a beast at multi tasking is nice too. You won't regret your decision Flomps. They're both great processors, and I can see it in your posts. Buy what you want most. That's what I did, and I'm satisfied.
a c 912 à CPUs
15 December 2012 21:30:10

griptwister said:
Go i5 it's clearly what you want and favor. If you want an i5 go for it. But the FX is for those of us who want a good price on a processor. The fact that ist a beast at multi tasking is nice too. You won't regret your decision Flomps. They're both great processors, and I can see it in your posts. Buy what you want most. That's what I did, and I'm satisfied.

It is good at multithreading but can fall back with multitasking! Here is the reason why from one of the reviews "It's all or nothing with Vishera. Mixed workloads that stress both single and multithreaded performance don't turn out as well on AMD's platform. With the FX-8350 AMD is able to sneak up on Sandy Bridge, but the competitive Ivy Bridge parts simply pull ahead. If there ever was a reason to fix AMD's single threaded performance, you're looking at it."
a b à CPUs
15 December 2012 22:18:51

technoholic said:
Scott, that graph shows 8350 much better than 8150 and VERY close to intel ones, maybe you should post another one which is clearer



a c 154 à CPUs
15 December 2012 23:39:57

Flomps said:
hey guys, thanks for the help. the thing is i can find an fx 8350 and an i5 at the same price, but i dont know which one to choose. why? because ive already chosen my components for the fx 8350 but want to see if its worth the money.


If you can find the I5 for around the same price as the 8350 or for a little more than the I5 is the way to. It's the better processor.
16 December 2012 01:24:57

griptwister said:
Go i5 it's clearly what you want and favor. If you want an i5 go for it. But the FX is for those of us who want a good price on a processor. The fact that ist a beast at multi tasking is nice too. You won't regret your decision Flomps. They're both great processors, and I can see it in your posts. Buy what you want most. That's what I did, and I'm satisfied.


Well, actually ive been trying to find everything that shows a hint of the 8350 being superior to the 95 3570k, the problem is, theres not much.

if the i5 can handle games, how about heavy multitasking and use of multithreading
16 December 2012 01:33:11

okay, i have come to a probably not going to be final decision,looking at anand tech im going to buy the i7 3770k for £242 because its multithreading performance is either slightly worse, on par or better, and single threading performance beats the FX 8350. the gaming performance is way better than an fx 8350. but its 86£/139$ more. is it worth it? im going to find a way to cheapen my rig to accommodate
16 December 2012 01:45:13

Flomps said:
okay, i have come to a probably not going to be final decision,looking at anand tech im going to buy the i7 3770k for £242 because its multithreading performance is either slightly worse, on par or better, and single threading performance beats the FX 8350. the gaming performance is way better than an fx 8350. but its 86£/139$ more. is it worth it? im going to find a way to cheapen my rig to accommodate

You must decide what is more important for you. If gaming is more important, 3570k. If multithreading much, 3770k but i don't think 3570k is much slower in that either.

Edit: and if you won't overclock, you can even do with a 3470. If there is "k" at the end, it means the CPU is unlocked and can be overclocked. If you want future proofing though, you can get away with a 3570k and overclock it. And intel chips are good at heat and energy efficiency. You can overclock your 3570k and reach higher level of speed while keeping it still cool. If you are thinking about overclocking, you are advised to get an aftermarket cooler along with that CPU
16 December 2012 02:15:38

technoholic said:
You must decide what is more important for you. If gaming is more important, 3570k. If multithreading much, 3770k but i don't think 3570k is much slower in that either.

Edit: and if you won't overclock, you can even do with a 3470. If there is "k" at the end, it means the CPU is unlocked and can be overclocked. If you want future proofing though, you can get away with a 3570k and overclock it. And intel chips are good at heat and energy efficiency. You can overclock your 3570k and reach higher level of speed while keeping it still cool. If you are thinking about overclocking, you are advised to get an aftermarket cooler along with that CPU

ive decided since my budget is 690£ i have decided,
this year i shall get:

Intel core i7 3770k | £242.27
Sapphire Radeon hd 7770 | 72.90
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 GB |£24.90
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) Vengeance Performance Memory Module |£68.55
corsair 650w psu|£45.00
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)|£62.36
Acer S271HLAbid 27" Inch Full HD LED Display|£185.00
NEW MARS BLUE GAMING ATX CASE PC COMPUTER TOWER & LCD TEMP DISPLAY & CLEAR SIDE|£33.50
2.4Ghz Ultra Slim Wireless keyboard and mouse|£13.99

TOTAL: 687.47/ive yet to calculate

no aftermarket cooler. no overclock

next year i shall get:

Intel core i7 3770k | £242.27
Sapphire Radeon hd 7870 | ??? (i forget)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 GB |£24.90
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB |??? (i forget)
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) Vengeance Performance Memory Module |£65.00
Powercool Modular 650W 80+ Dual 12V V2.2 High Efficiency PSU|£45.00
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)|£62.36
Acer S271HLAbid 27" Inch Full HD LED Display|£185.00
NEW MARS BLUE GAMING ATX CASE PC COMPUTER TOWER & LCD TEMP DISPLAY & CLEAR SIDE|£33.50
programmable mouse| £19.50
backlit keyboard|£23.50
Arctic Freezer Pro 13 Rev.2 CPU cooler

TOTAL: 917.47

and then overclock the transistors (geek joke) out of it.

that means i have, kickass single threaded performance and multithreading power to match.
next year i get kickass single threaded performance and multithreading power to match but then overclocked = good. *fibre-optic high five*

this way i get the best of both worlds. like semi-skimmed milk, only completely different.
16 December 2012 02:17:39

also im creating a new thread. that says exactly what the above post is.
16 December 2012 02:58:41

i strongly discourage you from building a rig like that. That is wrong example for a gaming rig. At a gaming rig you must put more budget for GPU. I assure you, you won't be playing any recent games with your first build and your build has issues cause at first you put there a single stick ram, your machine won't take advantage of dual channel memory bandwidth. Also i have never heard of that PSU brand, probably its a rip-off and probably you will have to replace it in a year or two. Please take more advices before making a decision. You can choose a caviar black hard disk for more cache and better speed
16 December 2012 03:07:58

technoholic said:
i strongly discourage you from building a rig like that. That is wrong example for a gaming rig. At a gaming rig you must put more budget for GPU. I assure you, you won't be playing any recent games with your first build and your build has issues cause at first you put there a single stick ram, your machine won't take advantage of dual channel memory bandwidth. Also i have never heard of that PSU brand, probably its a rip-off and probably you will have to replace it in a year or two. Please take more advices before making a decision. You can choose a caviar black hard disk for more cache and better speed


okay...
a b à CPUs
16 December 2012 13:47:39

i5+7870 is much superior to i7+7770
16 December 2012 17:30:28

mohit9206 said:
i5+7870 is much superior to i7+7770


the 7770 is a temporary thing. lets me play minecraft until i get the 7970 Crossfire. (if it can)
a b à CPUs
16 December 2012 22:40:25

You won't even need a 7770 for minecraft, even a 6450 should give you about 30fps in 1080p. Why do you need 7970 in crossfire? You shouldn't go from high/medium setting and performance per watt to getting a 7970 in crossfire...
16 December 2012 22:54:59

Flomps said:
ive decided since my budget is 690£ i have decided,
this year i shall get:

Intel core i7 3770k | £242.27
Sapphire Radeon hd 7770 | 72.90
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 GB |£24.90
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) Vengeance Performance Memory Module |£68.55
corsair 650w psu|£45.00
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)|£62.36
Acer S271HLAbid 27" Inch Full HD LED Display|£185.00
NEW MARS BLUE GAMING ATX CASE PC COMPUTER TOWER & LCD TEMP DISPLAY & CLEAR SIDE|£33.50
2.4Ghz Ultra Slim Wireless keyboard and mouse|£13.99

TOTAL: 687.47/ive yet to calculate

no aftermarket cooler. no overclock

next year i shall get:

Intel core i7 3770k | £242.27
Sapphire Radeon hd 7870 | ??? (i forget)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 GB |£24.90
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB |??? (i forget)
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) Vengeance Performance Memory Module |£65.00
Powercool Modular 650W 80+ Dual 12V V2.2 High Efficiency PSU|£45.00
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)|£62.36
Acer S271HLAbid 27" Inch Full HD LED Display|£185.00
NEW MARS BLUE GAMING ATX CASE PC COMPUTER TOWER & LCD TEMP DISPLAY & CLEAR SIDE|£33.50
programmable mouse| £19.50
backlit keyboard|£23.50
Arctic Freezer Pro 13 Rev.2 CPU cooler

TOTAL: 917.47

and then overclock the transistors (geek joke) out of it.

that means i have, kickass single threaded performance and multithreading power to match.
next year i get kickass single threaded performance and multithreading power to match but then overclocked = good. *fibre-optic high five*

this way i get the best of both worlds. like semi-skimmed milk, only completely different.


well you said you might want to put 7970 in crossfire?
than that motherboard would be useless to you....
Im guessing it has a 1 pcie 2.0 x16 and the 2nd pcie slot is at 4x so if do a crossfire setup it would be running at 4x and 4x on both slots. You should invest in a better motherboard, even a z77 that has pcie 3.0...
why pcie 3.0 well if you have 1 pcie at 16x and the 2nd one at 8x...theyd both be running at same speeds as pcie 2.0 16x if you do a crossfire/sli since pcie has double bandwith.
17 December 2012 00:37:36

geekdgreen said:
well you said you might want to put 7970 in crossfire?
than that motherboard would be useless to you....
Im guessing it has a 1 pcie 2.0 x16 and the 2nd pcie slot is at 4x so if do a crossfire setup it would be running at 4x and 4x on both slots. You should invest in a better motherboard, even a z77 that has pcie 3.0...
why pcie 3.0 well if you have 1 pcie at 16x and the 2nd one at 8x...theyd both be running at same speeds as pcie 2.0 16x if you do a crossfire/sli since pcie has double bandwith.


i wrote if it can. but im not actually really sure about spending 900 quid + on a gpu. i will prbs get the 7970 though. also's is the I7 3770K powerful, as in can it play games on max with no problems
17 December 2012 00:39:28

also i want 7970 in crossfire so my rig can play the most graphics intensive games on max for years to come, without any strain.
17 December 2012 00:55:50

The FX-8350 actually doesn't have a ton of L2 cache, the L2 cache is per module, each module has 2 cores, so divide by 2, 1MB L2 cache, which is basically the same as Intel.

Intel has better IPC protocols, and better efficiency/overclockability(limit at 4.2GHz, compared to next to no OC for the FX) but the FX is heavily threaded and is therefore capable of better multitasking/editing/productivity than an i5. The i5 in my opinion wins for gaming hands down.

BTW instead of 7970 CF get 2 4GB GTX680 CF, it has more memory for better future proofing and are faster too. But if you want 7970 crossfire make sure to CF the GHz editions(Good ones are Msi Twin Frozr IV and Vapor-X). The best is the Sapphire Toxic 7970 6GB(beats GTX680 by quite a lot) for about 670 on NCIX.
17 December 2012 03:16:18

Isn't the Asus matrix 7970 faster than that sapphire?
a b à CPUs
17 December 2012 03:42:08

hafijur said:
3770k is one of the most powerful cpu's available. The cpu is more then enough for any gpu olut now.


If I could have afforded it, I would have bought it!
    • 1 / 11
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest