My first (theoretical) gaming build

So this is my first attempt at coming up with a build. Could you guys take a look and tell me what you think? Is there anything crazy I've put in there that just won't work with the other parts? Am I missing anything?
Also, where do you think would be the best place to save some money? If I could bring down the budget a couple hundred dollars, that would be great, but I'm not sure where would be the best place to make a cut.

And I do plan to overclock, once I really educate myself better about the logistics.

Thanks a lot guys!

Build:

Link to amazon wish-list ---> http://amzn.com/w/31HFAV6ZB14NL


CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Processor 3.4 Ghz 4 cores BX80637I53570K

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 TUF Series Intel - LGA 1155 ATX DDR3 1600

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 256bit

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600

SSD: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series FM-25S2S-120GBSR 2.5" 120GB SATA II

HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s NCQ 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

PSU: Corsair Gold series 750-watt (AX750)

CPU heatsink: CM Hyper 212 EVO

Case: CM storm enforcer

Windows 7 home premium


Thanks a lot, TH community!
6 answers Last reply
More about theoretical gaming build
  1. Looks pretty nice, Asus Sabertooths are awesome mobos, but I think you're paying too much for the power supply, this is good enough and still a great model..

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=tx650

    Although, if you're firm on wanting a modular power supply, again there are still cheaper options.
  2. nekulturny said:
    Looks pretty nice, Asus Sabertooths are awesome mobos, but I think you're paying too much for the power supply, this is good enough and still a great model..

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=tx650

    Although, if you're firm on wanting a modular power supply, again there are still cheaper options.



    Thanks for the input!

    I don't really know much about power supplies. I don't really know what modular means, I just chose that one because it seemed to be high quality and probably more W than I need. Better safe than sorry. Considering the rest of the build, what is the minimum PSU I might need? Saving money would definitely be great, but I know you don't want to skimp on the PSU.
  3. You're welcome.

    Modular power supplies means the wires you aren't using can be removed. Its a nice feature if you're anal about clutter inside the case, but beyond that it really offers no practical purpose other than space saving (if using a small case) or cosmetics.

    At bare minimum 500 watts would be sufficient for that setup. Although, ideally I'd be looking in the 600 watt range just for the sake of having more than you need is indeed a good thing. The TX650v2 I linked is a good buy.

    I have the 750 watt variant, if you ever wanted to add a 2nd GTX 670 in SLi a 750 watt would be a worthwhile investment.
  4. nekulturny said:
    You're welcome.

    Modular power supplies means the wires you aren't using can be removed. Its a nice feature if you're anal about clutter inside the case, but beyond that it really offers no practical purpose other than space saving (if using a small case) or cosmetics.

    At bare minimum 500 watts would be sufficient for that setup. Although, ideally I'd be looking in the 600 watt range just for the sake of having more than you need is indeed a good thing. The TX650v2 I linked is a good buy.

    I have the 750 watt variant, if you ever wanted to add a 2nd GTX 670 in SLi a 750 watt would be a worthwhile investment.



    I am very much interested in adding a second gtx 670 in SLI in the future. So I'll go with the cheaper corsair TX750 version.

    Thanks!
  5. I wouldnt touch the "tuf" mb

    Sheilding the board from case air flow so you have to add an extra fan or a top down cpu cooler is an insane marketing gimmick
  6. Outlander_04 said:
    I wouldnt touch the "tuf" mb

    Sheilding the board from case air flow so you have to add an extra fan or a top down cpu cooler is an insane marketing gimmick


    "tuf" is that extra plastic stuff that covers everything except the PCI and RAM slots?

    If that's bad for airflow, I definitely wouldn't want to do it if its bad for the mother board, but I was planning on buying a CM CPU heat sink anyways. Do you have any other mobo suggestions with comparable price/features?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product