Is It Worth The Upgrade? I7-3630QM vs I7-3740QM?

Hi,

I'm going to buy the Optimus IV from pc speciliaist with the I7-3740QM processor, but today I also noticed that the cheaper I7-3630QM is now also available.

The 3740QM is 2.7ghz and the 3630QM is 2.4ghz there is a £90 price difference between the two.

Is that extra 300mhz different worth the 3740QM's price increase? I will be doing intensive tasks on a regular basis such as video editing, but will that 300mhz make that much difference?

Thanks in advance,
Louis
18 answers Last reply
More about worth upgrade 3630qm 3740qm
  1. is it also 300MHz difference in turbo speed?
  2. mi1ez said:
    is it also 300MHz difference in turbo speed?

Yes it is. 3.4 vs 3.7
  3. What will you be doing with the laptop in general? I would hate to make a blind recommendation to spend more money.
  4. The 300Mhz difference will essentially be a 10% performance increase.
    This means 10% less rendering time.
    This means 10% less work-time.
  5. azathoth said:
    The 300Mhz difference will essentially be a 10% performance increase.

But how will that 10% help in intensive applications. For example how much quicker would it be at rendering 1080p video? (which I do on a regular basis)
  6. nbelote said:
    What will you be doing with the laptop in general? I would hate to make a blind recommendation to spend more money.

Well I do a lot of video editing on a regular basis (1080p for youtube), but I just don't know how much that 300mhz will help, I will also be gaming as it has a 660m
  7. Go for the I7-3630QM and use the cash to spend on a fat SSD, extra ram or next model of GPU.
  8. das_stig said:
    Go for the I7-3630QM and use the cash to spend on a fat SSD, extra ram or next model of GPU.

The only other upgrade I could afford is an SSD, which I was going to buy at a slightly later date anyway?

So should I get the i7-3740qm and a 500gb HDD (then upgrade to a 120gb ssd next month for £50) or get the i7-3630qm and a 120gb SSD and 500gb HDD now without having to spend any extra later?
  9. My Dilemma is the fact that I can very easily upgrade the SSD at a later date, but I cannot upgrade the CPU easily. But if £90 for 300mhz is just ridiculous then I wont bother.
  10. 10% performance directly translates to 10% faster rendering for you.
  11. azathoth said:
    10% performance directly translates to 10% faster rendering for you.

Is 10% worth £90 because I have no clue :P
  12. NvidiaX said:
    Is 10% worth £90 because I have no clue :P

Well how much is the overall price of the laptop? Easy way to justify it is whether or not is if it's 10% or less onto the total system cost.
  13. azathoth said:
    Well how much is the overall price of the laptop? Easy way to justify it is whether or not is if it's 10% or less onto the total system cost.

The total cost of the laptop plus the i7-3740qm is £800.
  14. the sequence is more ram, faster disk, even more ram, faster processor if you find you still need it.
  15. I'm having the same decision to make man! Doing heavy music production/light video editing in my situation, and am also curious if this 10% increase is reasonably priced. I found this benchmark test, may help you out a little: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
  16. Came across this too, it goes into more detail : http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3740QM-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3630QM
  17. The difference in base clockspeed and Turbo Boost clockspeed is 300MHz for the CPUs. So at the base clockspeed the i7-3740QM is clocked 12.5% higher than the i7-3630QM. At max Turbo Boost clockspeed the i7-3740QM is clocked almost 9% higher. The max Turbo Boost clockspeed assumes only one of the 4 cores are being used. If all 4 cores are being used, then the max speed is lower. That is also assuming the CPU itself is within a certain thermal limit. If the CPU temp is too high, then Turbo Boost is limited or disabled. If all 4 cores are being used the max Turbo Boost clockspeed may only be 3.3GHz for the i7-3740QM and 3.0GHz for the i7-3630QM exact clock speed is unknown and the only possible source of info is Intel technical white papers for their CPUs which has a lot of technical data that is likely very difficult for a layman to understand, much less process.

It all boils down to how much is your time worth. Let's just say a the performance difference is 10% to keep it simple. I've done some video batch processing of my own from time to time and in once batch I had around 20 videos I was encoding. Based on the settings I used to do the video conversion, it tool a total of 50 hours to compete the entire batch. A 10% increase in performance would have cut that down to 45 hours.
  18. Time is money.

If I was doing CPU intensive tasks all day, I would spend the extra £90. So, for about 10% more in cost, you get 10% more in speed, which saves you 10% more in rendering time.

Say you kept this computer for 3 years. In a standard US work year, you work 2,080 hours.

2,080 hrs * 3 yrs = 6,240 hrs

Let's say you spend half that time rendering.

6,240 hrs / 2 = 3,120 hrs

3,120 hrs * 0.10 = 312 hrs

312hrs / 24hrs = 13 full days

How long does it take you to make £90? How much money do you make per hour? Is that worth gaining 13 full days of your life back in 3 years that you don't have to sit and wait for something to render?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Optimus Intel i7 Processors