Building a system, here are the components, help appreciated.

Hey guys just looking for a little advic really.
I am buying/building a new system tomorrow with the following parts:

Power:
850W XFX Core Edition 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply

CPU:
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz

Memory:
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit

Storage:
SanDisk SDSSDX-240G-G25 Extreme 240GB SATA III Internal 2.5" SSD

Mobo:
ASUS P8Z77-V LE Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard

CPU Cooler:
Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Quiet CPU Cooler

GPU:
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Case:
Cooler Master HAF X V2 Black Full Tower Windowed Chassis w/ USB3.0

Does this seem like a strong build? Any clear bottlenecks i have missed? Any absolute wastes of money?
Some of the items I have chosen as a comprimise due to the fact ic an pick all of these parts up tomorrow near where I live and don't have to wait for delivery.
In all the system is costing me £1150.

Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about building system components appreciated
  1. What is the purpose of your build? If its only gaming, then 16 Gb of RAM is too much. You can drop down to 8 Gb.

Do you plan to Crossfire? If not then you PSU is probably way too much than you actually need. You can get by with 600W. Just make sure it is a good PSU. I'm not sure about that one you have in particular but many people in the forums say that XFX PSU's are bad.

For cases, I also like Corsair cases but that is just a matter of preference.
  2. Gaming mostly, podcast editing, perhaps some video editing.

Crossfire in the future is a possibility, but not a probability.

Thanks for the advice.
  3. radarhead said:
    Gaming mostly, podcast editing, perhaps some video editing.

Crossfire in the future is a possibility, but not a probability.

Thanks for the advice.

Ah... You may actually use more RAM then. :)

One thing I would add to your build though is that you only have a single SSD for storage. Maybe you can bump it down to 128 Gb and invest the extra money on a HDD. Use the SSD for the OS and your most used programs, and the HDD for storage.
  4. Thanks again, was planning on using the pair of 250gig raid 0 drives I have in my current system. However their performance has never been that great, so maybe your right, perhaps switching down to 128 gig SSD and investing in a faster larger disk....
    Hmmmmm...
  5. 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.12 SATA III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - HDD

SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 Extreme 120GB SATA III Internal 2.5" SSD

In place of SanDisk SDSSDX-240G-G25 Extreme 240GB SATA III Internal 2.5" SSD
  6. l0v3rboi said:
    What is the purpose of your build? If its only gaming, then 16 Gb of RAM is too much. You can drop down to 8 Gb.

Do you plan to Crossfire? If not then you PSU is probably way too much than you actually need. You can get by with 600W. Just make sure it is a good PSU. I'm not sure about that one you have in particular but many people in the forums say that XFX PSU's are bad.

For cases, I also like Corsair cases but that is just a matter of preference.

Actually, XFX is one of the best brands for a PSU.

I think your build is solid. Ivy Bridge is out soon you may consider waiting a little but what you have is fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems