Sign in with
Your question

Best PSU Brands

Last response: in Components
9 January 2012 19:32:16

I was wondering what are the best high end psu's and what are the best budget no-name'ish brands. I have been looking up sooo many brands and some sites say 1 no name is great and another says another is amazing. A list of them would be great thanks :) 

More about : psu brands

a b ) Power supply
9 January 2012 19:51:19

Best high end psu are made by Corsair,Sesonic,Antec,Enermax,XFX.Depends where you live , in Europe low end but good psu's are Raidmax,Recom.
9 January 2012 19:57:13

the best one is COOLER MASTER!
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
9 January 2012 20:08:00

Any site you go to will have their 'favorite' PSUs. Personally I am going to say that with power supplies you will get what you pay for, and the quality is generally in the weight of the PSU.
In my most humble (and relatively authoritative) opinion on the topic (though this is not my particular strong suit), I would say that anything over $1 per 10W (ie $40 for 400W, $75 for 750W) is a fairly safe bet. Spec wise PC Power and Cooling is the technical 'Best' when it comes to the cleanest power, and longevity; but you pay for that, and they are not the 'sexiest' looking PSUs as they are intended for business machines, not gamers. OCZ owns PCPnC, and has benefited in their quality from the purchase (they use to have terrible PSUs, but not anymore). Corsair, CoolerMaster, and other 'Big Name' brands are all quite good as well, and I would not shy away from any of them if they are at a good price.

When purchasing just remember 5 things:
1) weight is good
2) 120+mm fans are a requirement as silence is golden, and it is not hard to have your PS be the quietest device in the computer.
3) use a system power calculator and buy a PSU that matches your build. When too large a power supply dies it is more likely to take parts out with it, if too small then your system won't run properly.
4) Dont buy cheap; Your power supply is your last, and often best, line of defense between bad power and your parts. Many computers never run quite right because some silly teenager with too much money buys a crappy 1000W (hard to believe, but they do exist) power supply for a 500W system, instead of a smaller power supply to fit their needs of better quality.
5) A good power supply is no excuse to not invest in some form of line conditioner or UPS. If you live in an area prone to high winds or electrical storms then line conditioning is more important than a high end power supply (though both are quite important).
a b ) Power supply
9 January 2012 20:15:02

sosofm is right, the best PS will be different depending on your geographical location, as some 'local' brands are better than the global ones. My suggestions were based on US consumption
9 January 2012 20:18:19

yea i forgot to put in us based market my bad
9 January 2012 20:25:06

Corsair the best, no doubt
a b ) Power supply
9 January 2012 20:27:17

A lot of Corsair high end psu's are Seasonic inside.
a b ) Power supply
9 January 2012 20:32:41

There are good "unknown label" brands out there too like LEPA and Cougar, but sosofm and CadenV are right with their brand recommendations. I got a PCP&C Silencer II 950W on sale and it runs like a charm. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, XFX, OCZ, and Coolermaster are all good brands. Buy more than your bare needs to have the PSU run at about 70-80% efficiency for the best results: the PSU is not stressed and still has headroom for extreme draw at that usage.
a c 80 ) Power supply
9 January 2012 21:23:25

I prefer to think of PSUs as who made them as well. XFX and Corsair don't make any PSUs. They simply buy them from others and sell under their own name. If you can find out who made the PSU that will give you a good clue if its a good one or not. Channel Well Technologies (CWT), Seasonic, Delta, Enermax, etc all make good PSUs.

And then there are those who couldn't make a good PSU if their life depended on it. Deer anyone? If you are looking at a PSU and can't make up your mind if its a good idea, look up the OEM and see what you can find.
a c 243 ) Power supply
9 January 2012 21:34:13

sosofm said:
Best high end psu are made by Corsair,Sesonic,Antec,Enermax,XFX.Depends where you live , in Europe low end but good psu's are Raidmax,Recom.

Raidmax is an international brand, thier "low end" power supplies like to go pop !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVEtr14FEA
9 January 2012 21:56:26

is the kingwin lazer series good?
a c 80 ) Power supply
9 January 2012 22:30:41

Yes.
a b ) Power supply
9 January 2012 23:29:14

The truth is , you need luck when buy any type of electronic devices. You can buy an verry good brand and in 1 or 2 days you need to RMA.
a c 243 ) Power supply
9 January 2012 23:30:36

sosofm said:
The truth is , you need luck when buy any type of electronic devices. You can buy an verry good brand and in 1 or 2 days you need to RMA.

+ 1
10 January 2012 01:32:35

which would you guys choose a Kingwin Lazer 660W or a Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W
a c 80 ) Power supply
10 January 2012 05:30:43

The Rosewill. Decent little unit, more efficient then the Kingwin.
a b ) Power supply
10 January 2012 05:56:30

there are some under rated brand which are good like

silverstone
xclio
aerocool (the strike X are good)
2the max
ama axe
rosewill
topower
fsp
In win
Sparkle Computer(not sparkle power)
Huntkey (the newer series are much better but just confirm on their older models)
10 January 2012 07:18:25

try something from dynapower usa :]
a b ) Power supply
10 January 2012 09:28:00

AdrianPerry said:
Here's a fairly accurate list of the quality of PSU's. Certainly use this as a guideline when choosing what PSU brand/model you select. JonnyGuru is also a fantastic PSU review site.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

That list is a tad old, and under rates some of the current top contenders. Its also a bit self contradictory as it states that Delta is to be avoided then lists several re-branded Delta units in the top tier.

Here are a couple links that I found helpful:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-oem-manufact... (repeat of an above link, but skipped to the "good part") and
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2917.ht...

The 80+ Certification is a good place to start. The better the rating (in general) the better the unit. I recently was in the market for a new PSU, and settled on a Rosewell 750W Capstone unit, which is an 80+ Gold rated power supply. It is a rebranded Super Flower unit, and has a pretty positive review on the Jonnyguru site. I am a bit happier with it than I am with my Antec HCG-750 psu which is Built by Delta.
a c 243 ) Power supply
10 January 2012 17:42:13

pcnut88 said:
try something from dynapower usa :]

Still haven't seen any reviews, and I think Newegg has dropped them altogether, doesn't seem to be any reason to consider them.
13 January 2012 03:48:55

AdrianPerry said:
Here's a fairly accurate list of the quality of PSU's. Certainly use this as a guideline when choosing what PSU brand/model you select. JonnyGuru is also a fantastic PSU review site.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

JonnyGuru: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

+1 to that site(jonnyguru). They really put PSU's to the test and are very informative about every aspect of the PSU's they review.
13 January 2012 09:46:29

Seasonic makes the best , in the USA anyway, but they don't have a huge variety. Other good options are Corsair and Antec versions that are made by Seasonic but with slightly different specs.

I use the term "Best" because Seasonic tend to have the best efficiency, heat, ripple, jitter, loaded, and unloaded characteristics, all the while using nothing but the best name-brand parts for their caps and going overkill.
2 November 2012 07:47:48

Lepa is good too.
14 February 2014 15:05:32

CaedenV said:
Any site you go to will have their 'favorite' PSUs. Personally I am going to say that with power supplies you will get what you pay for, and the quality is generally in the weight of the PSU.
In my most humble (and relatively authoritative) opinion on the topic (though this is not my particular strong suit), I would say that anything over $1 per 10W (ie $40 for 400W, $75 for 750W) is a fairly safe bet. Spec wise PC Power and Cooling is the technical 'Best' when it comes to the cleanest power, and longevity; but you pay for that, and they are not the 'sexiest' looking PSUs as they are intended for business machines, not gamers. OCZ owns PCPnC, and has benefited in their quality from the purchase (they use to have terrible PSUs, but not anymore). Corsair, CoolerMaster, and other 'Big Name' brands are all quite good as well, and I would not shy away from any of them if they are at a good price.

When purchasing just remember 5 things:
1) weight is good
2) 120+mm fans are a requirement as silence is golden, and it is not hard to have your PS be the quietest device in the computer.
3) use a system power calculator and buy a PSU that matches your build. When too large a power supply dies it is more likely to take parts out with it, if too small then your system won't run properly.
4) Dont buy cheap; Your power supply is your last, and often best, line of defense between bad power and your parts. Many computers never run quite right because some silly teenager with too much money buys a crappy 1000W (hard to believe, but they do exist) power supply for a 500W system, instead of a smaller power supply to fit their needs of better quality.
5) A good power supply is no excuse to not invest in some form of line conditioner or UPS. If you live in an area prone to high winds or electrical storms then line conditioning is more important than a high end power supply (though both are quite important).

silence is over rated not golden. big silent fans hardly move air. they are crap. I'd much rather have a loud fan moving a ton of air. if it's loud you know it's working. quiet fans just do not work. honest
9 April 2014 03:06:43

Is CoolMax a decent brand for PSU?