Closed

ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed

A little more than a year after ATI shocked us with its Radeon HD 4870, it's launching the first DirectX 11 GPU, which packs more than just the promise of next-gen compatibility. We got our hands on a pair of 5870s and spent a week benchmarking them.

ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed : Read more
31 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5870 directx eyefinity speed
  1. anyone seen these in the uk?
  2. now this is someting. cant wait to see what nvidia will come up with.
  3. does this mean that the prices of existing 48xx cards will go down?
  4. They are scheduled for release on the 25th in the UK according to major online retailers expected stock date.
  5. My god the 4870x2 finally got a rival
  6. Smooth gaming again!?!? YAY
  7. available for pre order on scan.co.uk now £320
  8. All those connectors are nice but first thing I thought when I first saw pictures was there is not enough vents on the backto cool that card properly. Hopefully some board partners will come up with versions with full PCI slot cooling. Eyfinity looks better, but all I need is two DVI connectors one for monitor and other for projector.

Now lets see what Nvidia brings out, lets hope something competitive in performance and price. I hope prices drop by Cristhmas to £200-259 for 5870
  9. At guru3d they overclocked to 925 core/ 5400 memory could not go further because of temp problems. I wonder what would they do with better cooling. 1GHZ/6GHz?...Now that would be sweet.Link: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-review-test/26
  10. ainarssemsAll those connectors are nice but first thing I thought when I first saw pictures was there is not enough vents on the backto cool that card properly. Hopefully some board partners will come up with versions with full PCI slot cooling.

Anandtech addressed this concern in their review: "As far as the 5870 is concerned, this is solid proof that the half-slot exhaust vent isn’t going to cause any issues with cooling."
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643
  11. Here's the source link to the above quotation.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643
  12. I have seen Anandtech's article, however they did hit 100C and started to throtle in /crossfire on Toms review and Guru3d temps limited overclocking so there is room for improvement in cooling.

Also I wonder if 2GB version would perform better at high resolutions with AA
  13. No Crossfire? Really? What was ATI thinking releasing a top of the line video card that can't support a major feature set? One of the major selling points is that you can run 3 displays off this one card, yet you need to Crossfire two of these to get playable frame rates. Problem, you can't Crossfire these cards (yet?).

They should have dispensed with the third video connection in favor of extra ventilation, which it sounds like this card needs. If users are so gung ho about running 3 or more dispays, then wait for the Eyefinity card.

Glad to see ATI releasing a product that puts a boot up Nvidia's arse, but they shouldn't have released it without solving the Crossfire issue.
  14. Must be mistake. Check benchmarks, they include crossfire results so it is working. They probably had the cards for some while for testing and started writing article and drivers did not support crossfire at the start and does support now. They just forgot to edit part of the article where it says that it does not support crossfire.
  15. any word on when the 5670 is gonna come out
  16. Yes, try www.overclockers.co.uk
  17. £320 ouch, what a rip off and no Physx. I think this time round Nvidia's mid range card, the GTX360 will trounce all over this card from a great height.
  18. chockimon£320 ouch, what a rip off and no Physx. I think this time round Nvidia's mid range card, the GTX360 will trounce all over this card from a great height.

Wow, 8 minutes before the first fanboi commentard...

As someone who holds allegiance with neither vendor -- both have a place in our house -- this looks great from a stirring-up the market perspective.

R.
  19. Why do companies still think it is OK to release products that sound like an industrial leaf blower?? Why don't they team up with Zalman or Thermalright to launch with a better thermal solution? Anyone who has this much cash to spend on a GPU would not mind adding another £10 for a decent heatsink solution made out of copper.
  20. I love how people label you a fanboy just because you have a Nvidia card. I have actually used both and had nothing but trouble with ATI cards over heating. Got sick of having to send them back for a replacement, only for the replacement to suffer the same problems. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I've never had any problems whatsoever with all Nvidia cards I've bought. I currently have a GTX 260 which I bought for £160 and personally I would never spend more than £200 on a graphics card. I would rather wait until the prices come down before I buy a new one.

Nvidia have better warranties, better drivers, great performance and Physx. Good enought for me.
  21. 2 thumbs up
  22. 'No Physx' - (Duh?)

You have a point though chockimon, a physx equivelent must be coming.
    Hmm - it's a pity I bought my 4890 before this came out, but so far it does the job on a 19" monitor and the price wasn't too bad.
    Maybe if I get a job, I could get a 5870x2... in a year or two :p
  23. With large LCDs now around a third of what they were a couple of years ago, it must be possible to splash out and buy the equivalent of four new screens so please can the manufacturers start releasing ultra-high resolution versions of standard screen sizes? I'm sure that a 40 inch widescreen monitor supporting 7680 x 2160 resolution must be possible by just multi-plexing 4 x 20 inch 1080p screens?
  24. You could always try to make one yourself (40" frame, 4x20" LCDs and a tiny bit of electrical tape between the screens to stop them shorting), so long as you didn't mind losing the warranty and having a thin black line on both midlines.

Sounds like a plan - but I don't have enough money :(
  25. I really hope they make the cooling decent on this new card, in the 4870x2 the default fan setting is nowhere near enough to keep it cool in load unless your case has mega cooling, then again if you've got the cash to buy it, i suppose it would have.
  26. I agree with the dustbuster comment. I would hate having a chainsaw buzzing inside my case.

I had the accursed FX 5950 (green team, if you don´t know): it overheated and halted every 2 minutes. The cooling solution couldn´t cope with it. I got rid of it, bought a X850XT AGP(red team), running up to this day. It *can* play Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 @ 1200px and 20fps (hey Toms folks, 20 fps is playable you know?) with a Pentium 4 3,2GHz Northwood being dragged by it. I can clearly hear the fan screaming its lungs out every 3 minutes, but the game won´t slow down more than expected.

Which brings me to the point of major upgrading. Planning on a Core i7 920 or better (bang for buck, my opinion) and I would like something to play smoothly on beyond full HD (1920x1200) on my shiny new 24" monitor. I was thinking on SLI'ed GTX 260s or GTX 280s, (I know it is overkill on a single monitor, but upgrades 2 years later become a choice) or CrossFiring any price match on red team's side.

As you noticed, I upgrade at a much slower pace, so overkilling now pays up in the long run, as the x850xt is proving me right. It was top-dog AGP in its day, overpriced on release and all, but I kept myself from buying anything new for nearly 5 YEARS! Outstanding, don´t you think?

So in short, I was hoping on comments on how my upgrade would fare, considering these new choices. Of course, everything else is being bought too, so fell free to pitch in new ideas. Blu-ray, DVD recorders, motherboards for the i7 Core, should I wait Win 7 or infect my brand-new machine with Vista 64-bit? 6GB or 12GB of memory, considering my machines last 8 years FOR GOOD, this is the second machine of mine that lasts that long.

Thank you.

P.S. Great, new boards on the red team will push down the prices of my budget choices.
  27. you should not need any more than 6gb of ram, and you will only be able to use 3gb if you are going with windows 7, which i personally would do. its like vista, but without the fail.
  28. expensive gameryou should not need any more than 6gb of ram

Uh-huh... Technically, no -- 4GB is pretty much the 'sweet spot' in my experience where all but the most memory hungry video editing software is sated -- but if the cash is there...

If the guy has the cash for 12, let him buy 12. There's an old adage which is simply "You can never have too much RAM" {to which the rider 'unless your memory controller and chipset has shitty cooling' can be attached given that this is THW...}

I still meet people that try and tell me that 2GB is enough and only last week ran into a machine with just 512MB. It depends what the machine is being used for.

R.
  29. expensive gameryou will only be able to use 3gb if you are going with windows 7

...and this is only (semi)true for 32-bit Win7...

R.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Directx HD ATI