Solved

Can a computer start up bios without ram

Hello, I tried today to boot up my system with no ram installed I just wanted to check if it works. I have a ma785gm us2h motherboard amdx6 phenom 1075t I did not get any video display I would like to know if this is normal. I hear no beeps.
Reply to jaclavell
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer start bios
  1. Best answer
    Yes, this is normal. Without RAM, you cannot get a display. Furthermore, if you don't have a motherboard speaker installed, you will not hear the associated beeps indicating that RAM was not present in the POST. You should get a motherboard speaker; it is an invaluable tool in diagnosing your computer.
    Reply to T_T
  2. how do you get a motherboard speaker does my model come with one
    Reply to jaclavell
  3. Motherboard speakers are very inexpensive and can typically be found in computer hardware stores, such as Fry's or Microcenter. If there aren't any shops in your area, just do a google search for "motherboard speaker". You'll find a plethora of options.
    Reply to T_T
  4. Best answer selected by jaclavell.
    Reply to jaclavell
  5. I thank you very much for your help it's great to know their are good people out here. Again Thank you
    Reply to jaclavell
  6. jaclavell said:
    how do you get a motherboard speaker does my model come with one

Don't know about you but my MB came with a speaker.
    Also good post, I was building my own PC too and was wondering about this.
    Reply to Mason Methot
  7. T_T said:
    Yes, this is normal. Without RAM, you cannot get a display. Furthermore, if you don't have a motherboard speaker installed, you will not hear the associated beeps indicating that RAM was not present in the POST. You should get a motherboard speaker; it is an invaluable tool in diagnosing your computer.

What if you substituted the built in sticks with a USB Drive? Even though most of the times theyre recognized as STORAGE, in a sense, that could work, right?
    Reply to Myles_1
  8. ^ no and you'll understand why if you do some basic research on memory types (plus computers' lack of psychic adaptiveness). that really wasn't worth bumping a 4yr old thread
    Reply to D_B_8
  9. I have fan installed on mine, I go to turn it on and everything powers on except the screen has no display. Could this mean my ram is dead?
    Reply to Josh3945
  10. jaclavell said:
    how do you get a motherboard speaker does my model come with one

It usually comes with the case. I got some random deepcool case for about 25 dollars and it came with one, so you shouldn't have a problem finding one
    Reply to Multi-Headed Snake
  11. Josh3945 said:
    I have fan installed on mine, I go to turn it on and everything powers on except the screen has no display. Could this mean my ram is dead?

Hello, Yes your ram could be dead but did you check your signal connection to your video card? It is possible that your connection to your graphics card has be tempered with or has broken! Try fiddling around in the back of your computer to try and fix the connection.
    Reply to 5715365mm
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Chipsets RAM Computer Motherboards