This is my new build specs:

cpu: amd phenom II x4 955
mobo: Asus m4a77td
memory: Corsair xms3 - ddr3 2x2gb cas latency 9
gpu: visiontek ati radeon hd 5550 1 gb memory
hd: 500 gb seagate 7200 rpm
psu: Ultra LSP 450 - 450 watt
optical: dvd drive and dvd r/rw drive

Firstly, do not buy Asus products. They have the worst support. I mean this is worse than reaching an overseas call center. The girl that answered my phone doesn't even know how to clear the cmos!!! I held on the phone with her for 2 hours and she solved nothing. Then she said she will transfer me to a superviser and she put me back on the wait line to speak to a regular rep.

Now, I depend on you guys to solve this issue or I'm returning this crap motherboard.

This Asus motherboard has an EPU function which regulates fan speed. Every time I restart the computer through windows or if I press the restart button on my case, the fan starts spinning at 4800 rpm. It continues spinning very high and loud even when it is idle. So I go into the EPU interface to set the power mode to auto from high performance. This brings the noise and the rpm to more bearable levels. I don't want to have to do this every time I restart my computer. Is this motherboard faulty?

please help. thanks

More about : asus m4a77td problems

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
31 March 2011 02:26:01

Well, the fan controller on the board could be faulty, or could be a glitch on the programming of the board. I do know most motherboard do a fan speed test at startup before the fan controllers kick in to slow it down. If by restarting locks up the fan controller to high, it could be a fan controller program error. See if there if there is a new BIOS update or patch for the motherboard that fixes that issue.
31 March 2011 02:32:06

I see, thanks, but i cant get them to provide any support. Been trying for 3 days and finally I reach one and she says she's having network issues.... Thats basically all she said the 2 hrs while I cleared the cmos. So now how do I check which bios version I have?

The only thing thats holding me back from throwing this board back at them is that I have to remove all the components now :fou: 
m
l
Related resources
31 March 2011 02:49:34

What I can't understand is even on idle, the fan is spinning at 2700 rpm... Is this also part of the fan controller problem? thanks
m
l
31 March 2011 03:20:04

Bios version i have is 2104 and thats the latest version. This motherboard is faulty and I got 2 days to return it to best buy...
m
l
31 March 2011 03:20:14

Best answer selected by deanm007.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
31 March 2011 03:29:39

I realize this is marked as solved, I often look that the posts.

That said, if you installed ANY ASUS Utilities, except the 'USB Charge', don't use them. The too often conflict or overwrite the BIOS. Therefore, uninstall, boot into BIOS and Set to 'Auto' which seemed to work, Save & Exit = Yes.

Hopefully, that may help.

ASUS MOBOs are good, but ASUS, GA, MSI, etc since the P67 fiasco are more swamped than usual. EVGA has overall the best Customer Service.

Good Luck! Hopefully you're running good.
m
l
31 March 2011 04:47:30

jaquith said:
I realize this is marked as solved, I often look that the posts.

That said, if you installed ANY ASUS Utilities, except the 'USB Charge', don't use them. The too often conflict or overwrite the BIOS. Therefore, uninstall, boot into BIOS and Set to 'Auto' which seemed to work, Save & Exit = Yes.

Hopefully, that may help.

ASUS MOBOs are good, but ASUS, GA, MSI, etc since the P67 fiasco are more swamped than usual. EVGA has overall the best Customer Service.

Good Luck! Hopefully you're running good.

Thank you so much. I am goiing to try this before I return the mobo. But what do I uninstall? I installed an asus cd when I logged into windows the first time. Is that what I should uninstall? Thanks again. If this works, your answer would be the best.

m
l
31 March 2011 04:50:23

Ok I am going to uninstall the epu-4 engine which is probably overriding the bios as you mentioned.
m
l
31 March 2011 04:52:01

k epu-4 engine gone. now the fan is spinning louder. i am going to restart and set it to auto in bios then report back.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
31 March 2011 05:10:14

For testing and if Auto doesn't hold, run MSCONFIG, select Diagnostic and reboot. You may need to set it again to 'Auto'. However, after a couple boot cycles -- if it'a a pesky App the problem should go away. If that solves the problem then the 'FUN :)  ' is finding the App causing the problem

Failure - post the CPU FAN that you're using. It might be a 3-pin vs 4-pin issue.
m
l
31 March 2011 05:14:39

jaquith said:
For testing and if Auto doesn't hold, run MSCONFIG, select Diagnostic and reboot. You may need to set it again to 'Auto'. However, after a couple boot cycles -- if it'a a pesky App the problem should go away. If that solves the problem then the 'FUN :)  ' is finding the App causing the problem

Failure - post the CPU FAN that you're using. It might be a 3-pin vs 4-pin issue.

Yea, that did not work out and I had to reinstall the EPU-4 program to slow the fan down from high performance mode.

I am using the Amd phenom II x4 955 fan that came with the cpu.

thanks for helping. I wish I could solve this problem so i don't have to redo this whole thing again...
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
31 March 2011 05:33:34

If the BIOS isn't holding the values then the last resort prior to tearing down the rig is to 'try' a new CMOS battery or test shorting.

The last few times I've seen this and it gets down to this point it's either the CMOS battery, short including a standoff short**, or a bad BIOS EPROM *** {a/k/a toasted MOBO}.

** Lazyman's Breadboard - unscrew all of the MOBO & PCIe screws, and dangle the MOBO supported by a towel + boot.

*** Try to Flash the BIOS again, load Defaults prior to flash and use the 'ASUS EZ Flash 2' method only.

Good Luck! :) 
m
l
31 March 2011 06:02:42

I followed the directions in the manual. I downloaded the bios file on my c: drive and then booted into the Asus ez flash 2 screen and found the file in c: and pressed enter and it showed a progress bar in the bottom titled ;checking file' then it says 'boot block in file is not valid'...
m
l
17 May 2011 16:55:03

YO I have the same MOBO. Your PSU is really shady but

That's normal. When I press and hold the restart button, the fans spin at high speed but when I let go it goes back down to normal. Is your SmartQFan enabled under HW monitor?
m
l