Thief 3 saved game location?

I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see where
the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
direction please?

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about thief saved game location
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    Colin wrote:

    > I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
    > progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see where
    > the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
    > direction please?

    Saved games are stored in the My Documents folder of the user that
    installed the game.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > > I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save
    my
    > > progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
    where
    > > the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
    > > direction please?
    >
    > Saved games are stored in the My Documents folder of the user that
    > installed the game.

    Thanks.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
    > progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
    where
    > the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
    > direction please?
    >
    > Thanks.

    As was pointed out, they're in the "My Documents" folder. But look at them
    closely. Each save is a designated by a unique 48 digit hexadecimal address.
    I'd be willing to bet that after reformatting and reinstalling TDS, the
    saves when copied back into your folders will not be recognized by the game.
    I tried sending 3 saved games to my 2nd computer, which also has the patched
    game installed. TDS could not see the saves sent from the 1st computer. Has
    anyone else tried this?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

    > "Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save
    my
    > > progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
    > where
    > > the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
    > > direction please?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > As was pointed out, they're in the "My Documents" folder. But look at them
    > closely. Each save is a designated by a unique 48 digit hexadecimal
    address.
    > I'd be willing to bet that after reformatting and reinstalling TDS, the
    > saves when copied back into your folders will not be recognized by the
    game.
    > I tried sending 3 saved games to my 2nd computer, which also has the
    patched
    > game installed. TDS could not see the saves sent from the 1st computer.
    Has
    > anyone else tried this?

    I did a reformat and reinstall then copied my saves from the other drive. I
    had to copy the entire folder to get it to work. I also have copied saves
    from the computer downstairs to the one upstairs but again, I had to take
    everything except the "User Options", which were set up for a different
    computer.

    Nightwalker
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 02:26:18 +0100, "Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
    >progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see where
    >the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
    >direction please?
    >
    >Thanks.

    In XP it is under
    C:\My Documents\

    Forgive me if I am wrong but I am sure you can change the location
    too... While looking around either in the Thief3 setup files or in the
    registry, I saw the savegames location and it looked real easy to edit
    that location. Just change it to whatever you wish to BUT be careful,
    just incase...

    I have done this before with other games - worked no problems...

    There you go - I just found it in the registry... Here's its location
    in the registry...
    ****************************
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ion Storm\Thief - Deadly Shadows]
    "ION_ROOT"="F:\\Thief - Deadly Shadows"
    "SaveGamePath"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Allan\\My Documents\\Thief
    - Deadly Shadows"
    ****************************

    I am now positive you can edit that one...
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 05:53:11 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    wrote:

    >"Colin" <Se7enDELETE@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm preparing my computer for a long overdue format and I want to save my
    >> progress in Thief 3. I've had a look in the game folder but don't see
    >where
    >> the saved games are stored. Could someone kindly point me in the right
    >> direction please?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >
    >As was pointed out, they're in the "My Documents" folder. But look at them
    >closely. Each save is a designated by a unique 48 digit hexadecimal address.
    >I'd be willing to bet that after reformatting and reinstalling TDS, the
    >saves when copied back into your folders will not be recognized by the game.
    >I tried sending 3 saved games to my 2nd computer, which also has the patched
    >game installed. TDS could not see the saves sent from the 1st computer. Has
    >anyone else tried this?

    I had troubles with my PC - It turned out that one bank of 512mbs of
    RAM was faulty but while I was trying like blazes to find what the
    problem was, I copied over an older Ghost back up of the system,
    (thinking that Windows was faulty) - one that did jnot have T3
    installed.. I did however save the registry key which had the install
    folders address in it and surprise surprise, I got T3 to work with
    just this one key... I also saved the savegames and put them manually
    into the My Documents folder and they worked. I simply carried on from
    where I left off...

    I still had the problem though and I installed yet an earlier Ghost
    backup, still trying to find the answer,, THEN I found the cure... I
    removed the offending stick of RAM then I did exactly the same thing
    with the saved key and savegames... Now things are running ever and
    all the savegames load up and I am getting throught T3 slowly but
    surely...

Computers Games Format Video Games