Intel Overclocking Club - page 4

702 answers Last reply
  1. saint19 said:
    We are agree, but say that is "bad" for the PC isn't the best word.

I'll agree with that statement for sure. Although not neccesary, It can be done . When they figure out how to seperate other aspects of the motherboard form the cpu, like with Westmere and older chips again Then the blck will be more relavent
    Reply to inthedark1980
  2. Name: thexalchemist
    CPU: i5-2500k
    Mobo: ASRock Z75 Pro3
    RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
    VCore: 1.392v
    BUS/Multiplier: 100 x 46
    Clock speed: 4.6 GHz
    Cooling: Xigmatek Dark Knight II Night Hawk Ed.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ny5k77.png
    Reply to thexalchemist
  3. thexalchemist said:
    Name: thexalchemist
    Mobo: ASRock Z75 Pro3
    RAM: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
    VCore: 1.392v
    BUS/Multiplier: 100 x 46
    Clock speed: 4.6 GHz
    Cooling: Xigmatek Dark Knight II Night Hawk Ed.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ny5k77.png

Lower your voltage.....
    Reply to amuffin
  4. amuffin said:
    Lower your voltage.....

Is that high? What would you say is an acceptable voltage?
    Reply to thexalchemist
  5. thexalchemist said:

For 4.6 on a 2500K, you should be in the 1.34-1.37 range (1.37 is high, itself, but if you have a worse than average chip, you may need that much. 1.392 is WAY too high for 4.6, though).
    Reply to DJDeCiBeL
  6. thexalchemist said:

Im at 4.6 right now and with a short run of Aida64 I am getting around 1.232 as a high but I was told I have a good chip and am on a good quality board with a very nice moffset Z77 Sabretooth but I have very good cooling through out my chassis and am using a small rad which I think helps
    Reply to inthedark1980
  7. Alright thanks guys. I'll have to change that asap.
    Reply to thexalchemist
  8. amuffin said:
    Lower your voltage.....

thexalchemist said:

Anonymous said:
    For 4.6 on a 2500K, you should be in the 1.34-1.37 range (1.37 is high, itself, but if you have a worse than average chip, you may need that much. 1.392 is WAY too high for 4.6, though).

thexalchemist said:
    Alright thanks guys. I'll have to change that asap.

I'm curious as to how you arrived at 1.392v in the first place you should be able to run 4.6 stable at around 1.355v with a single GPU and around 1.365v for an SLI or Crossfire setup in Win7 64bit, even for a worse performing 2500K.

DJD has given you some good advice showing a range of 1.34v ~ 1.37v, but what you really should do is drop to 1.30v and begin testing your 46x multiplier from there and increase the voltage one bump at the time until you're boot stable into the operating system, then continue testing for stability using stress testing and continuing voltage increases one bump at the time until you reach illusionary stability.

Illusionary stability is what is required to post here in the Intel Overclocking Club thread.

What I mean by that remark is Prime95, IBT etc. is not a solid stability guarantee, because they do not test graphics load, passing them may get you in the overclocking stability requirements to post in this thread, however you may crash in the first game you play.

To truly be 100% stable you need to expand your testing for stability adding a Graphic and Sound load to the mix, Graphic by running some benchmarks like 3DMark Vantage or 3DMark11, and then game adding the sound, if you're 100% stable you'll be able to game for hours with no problems, but if not you'll understand what I mean with the stress testers leaving you with false stability.

Gaming like 3D environment gaming along the lines of a First Person Shooter, sometimes will crash instantly if you're not 100% stable, and if you crash in a game but think you're stable because of IBT or P95 has left you confident you're stable, well you're not stable, that's why you're crashing in the game.

That's assuming of course after all your booting and rebooting and voltage changes to reach stability, you've uninstalled and reinstalled your graphics drivers that almost assuredly you've corrupted, in the boot and reboot quest for stability.

After posting in this thread, what then?

You have to reach a little beyond the stress testing for solid stability, and you have to reach solid stability one step at the time until your little testing train arrives at "Stability Station"!

All Aboard! Ryan

FYI; I'm not trying to offend you, I'm trying to help you.

Personally for longevity I suggest you drop to 45x around the 1.325v area anyway, because you'll use even less voltage, and lower your CPU load temperature, which is very important in overclocking the 2500K with an air cooler anyway, and at 4500mhz the 2500K will do whatever you require of it.
    Reply to 4Ryan6
  9. thexalchemist said:

Quote:
    1.53 :o

Intels max tested voltage is 1.520v not 1.53

And the maximum tested voltage is not an acceptable voltage to run on a daily basis and you should not be advising anyone here that it is acceptable, because that's supplying information that is classed as false and could get you permanently banned from THGF.

1.520v is the maximum voltage that should ever be run to stay within Intels warranty, those that have gone beyond 1.520v have fully accepted the fact they're beyond warranty coverage, anyone asking for a safe voltage range you know full well 1.53v is not acceptable!

Ryan

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/2nd-gen-core-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.pdf
    Reply to 4Ryan6
  10. CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e7200
    Motherboard: ASRock Wolfdale1333-D667
    CPU Voltage: 1.2
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 266*9.5
    Clock Speed: 2.53 Ghz
    RAM: 3gb DDR2 320 Mhz
    Cooling: Intel stock cooler

Note:
    This is gaming pc (not heavy)
    Reply to iRaafISR
  11. i just skimmed thru so im not sure if its already been suggested but; figure out ur gpus "overclocking", go online and purchase a high end cpu that max's out with (100's of)bits/bytes to spare for safteys sake
    Reply to hopgrab123
  12. tho obviously itll be expensive
    Reply to hopgrab123
  13. Dang...I didn't want this to become an argument. :(
    Reply to amuffin
  14. Name: michaelrw
    CPU: 3770k
    Motherboard: ASUS MVE
    CPU Frequency: 6.81 GHz
    CPU Voltage: 1.896
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 108.1*63
    RAM: G.Skill TridentX 2596mhz @ 10-12-12-25
    Cooling: Kingpin Venom 6.66
    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2533188.png

Reply to michaelrw
  15. AMAZING!!!!! :ouch:
    Reply to amuffin
  16. amuffin said:
    AMAZING!!!!! :ouch:

Yes it is. However............, The "Club" posting requirements do not include giving advise on "How" to achieve these overclocks.

There is always some latitude given when a "Subject" goes off topic but when you see an example of extreme overclocking in this thread any questions regarding that post should be thru a PM.

The overclocking done here at THGF has always been done in a way that most people could duplicate with just a little more knowledge about how their CPU functions with their particular platform that would include settings and required cooling.

That overclock you responded too as "Amazing" is in no way representative of the average Toms poster. Liquid Nitrogen is not something to play around with unless you fully understand what you are getting into both hardware and chemical wise.

Please do not start asking questions in this Thread regarding how this was done as well as staying "On Topic" as much as possible.

There have been many threads closed and/or removed for straying too far from the original intent of their main topic not to mention that sometimes someone may get banned/perma-banned as a result of their beliefs vs the Forum Rules we as Moderators use as a guide for the actions we take.
    Reply to arthurh
  17. Being bored and taking advantage of the upcoming Scottish winter, i decided to try shooting for 4.7GHz to beat my previous 4.6. This has sketchy temps as well, but as it's the result of backing down from an unsuccessful 4.8 attempt, i might be able to back down to slightly better voltages. No way i'll be using it 24/7 anytime soon, but it's only October - it'll get waaay colder with the window open in a few months. So i'll stick to my more manageable 4.6 til then.

Anyways, here's the 4.7. Same setup as last time (with some minor airflow tweaks):

Name: Mr. Stab
    Mobo: Asrock P67 Pro3
    RAM: 2 x 4GB G.Skill RipjawsX 9CL 1600MHz @ 9-8-9-24-1T
    VCore: 1.45v , 0.055v offset
    BUS/Multiplier: 100.01 x 47
    Clock speed: 4.7 GHz
    Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (rev. 2) + 2 stock Intel fans stuck to it in push/pull config
    CPU-Z Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2551367

Speedstep, C-states etc. are off at present but only because they were irritating me while testing. i usually have them on.

proof:

Update: have since lowered vcore to 1.43 with apparent stability, but not enough stress testing to confirm.
    Reply to mrstab
  18. nice posts in this thread.
    when I'm done swapping my cases around I'll post some of mine.
    got some parts coming in.
    Reply to proffet
  19. Here is my OC and all information should be included in the screen shot.
    Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 I5 2500K Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    Corsair H100 Corsair AX850 Basic 4.5 GHZ running multiplier @45 base clock stock 100 shows slightly under in CPU-Z

" class="img lazy">
    Reply to giltyler
  20. amuffin said:
    Dang...I didn't want this to become an argument. :(

I thought this was the place to get hands on advice for suggestions and opinions on what works for some and may not work for others. Arguing is not gonna get you anywheres with opinions or even facts for that matter. Its not called Intels venting club or is it...LOL :p
    Reply to inthedark1980
  21. Name: Novuake
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    Motherboard: ASrock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU Voltage: 1.28
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 46
    Clock Speed: 4.6GHz
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 4*4GB kit 9-10-9-27
    Cooling: Corsair H2O H80
    CPU-Z Validation : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2568768

http://s1311.beta.photobucket.com/user/Novuake/media/IntelBurntest46GHzSuccess.png.html?sort=3&o=0

I have this OC at 100% stable, zero errors in Prime, games, everything. Temps are a bit high in IBT but its not like we run those on a daily basis...
    Reply to Novuake
  22. Who has the highest stable OC in a daily use rig.
    Reply to giltyler
  23. A lot of us keep our SB chips at 4.5ghz, even though we could run 5ghz daily......
    Reply to amuffin
  24. giltyler said:
    Here is my OC and all information should be included in the screen shot.
    Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 I5 2500K Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    Corsair H100 Corsair AX850 Basic 4.5 GHZ running multiplier @45 base clock stock 100 shows slightly under in CPU-Z

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q4/giltyler/CaptureCPU-Z.png" class="img lazy">

You should be able to push your OC quite a bit more??? Why don't you?
    Reply to Novuake
  25. I have run at 4.8 for about 4-5 months and backed it down when I started playing with my ram a few months back and never felt a need to raise it. I also ran this at 5.2 for a few weeks and never did any bench marks or gaming and I doubt it was stable.
    It was using a higher base clock and multiplier.
    Reply to giltyler
  26. I decided to back down from my 4.8Ghz OC to 4.4Ghz -

Name: Mocchan
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
    CPU Voltage: 1.3v (1.29v w/ LLC)
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100*44
    Clock Speed: 4.4Ghz
    RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24
    Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212+

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2568938

(I hope it's okay I posted again, if it's not, tell me and I'll gladly remove this :lol: )
    Reply to mocchan
  27. New OC
    giltyler
    CPU:Intel Core I 5 2500K
    Motherboard:Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
    OC Bus/Multi 100/46
    Ram Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4 DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
    H100
    Windows 7 Pro 64

" class="img lazy">
    Reply to giltyler
  28. Gets kinda toasty though. 84C is pushing it. But what game would ever make it go 100% and 1.488v? More realistcally was 20% and 1.22V which i got in bf3
    Reply to footlong96
  29. Hello, I'm kinda new to OC'ing. I followed the OC guide from
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

I've ran Prime95 for an Hour with these settings and Passed, and ran this for 8hrs over-night Passed as well. Sometime later will do 24Hr one.

Name: Nikacino
    CPU: i7-3770K
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    CPU Voltage: 0.848V (?) (It varies on it's own for example 0.848V - 0.928V) -- Offset Voltage: +0.005v
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100.00 x 44
    Clock Speed: 4.4ghz
    RAM: 2x8GB CORSAIR Vengeance 1866Mhz 10-11-10-30 (Haven't messed with timings)
    Cooling: Cooler Master 212 EVO
    CPU-Z Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2585878

Screenshots for IBT and other Software.
    http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll182/xNiKaCinOx/OCResultsClub.jpg

I accidently ran IBT on Very High but I still passed. The tempts don't look too attractive but I ran Prime95 and I got lower temps was avg 70-80c.

Again, I'm new to Overclocking so any tips are welcome. Thanks. :bounce:
    Reply to Nikacino
  30. That is impressive. Great chip you got there. Super low voltage. Wow lowest ive seen yet.
    Reply to footlong96
  31. The max voltage it goes when full-load is 1.224ish but when I saw the test run the Voltage was at a constant 1.200V. But the temps are high though. If I would go with water cooling next year I'm sure I can push the OC even higher.
    Reply to Nikacino
  32. Somebody please help ......

I wan to overclock my Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20 Ghz to 2.80 Ghz or higher ---

My PC Specs are :-
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    230 GB HDD
    Perx P-4 450U Power Supply
    Radeon HD 5450 Graphic Card
    Asus P5GC-MX Motherboard

Any help will be appreciated
    Reply to adithecooldude4
  33. Name: Xlerator
    CPU:i5 2500K
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme
    CPU Voltage: 1.480
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100 x 50
    Clock Speed: 5GHz
    RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 8GB 9-9-9-24
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14

Reply to Xlerator
  34. Do not go above 1.4V on aircooling! :ouch:
    Reply to amuffin
  35. amuffin said:
    Do not go above 1.4V on aircooling! :ouch:

I know, I'm working on the lowering voltage. I know that the NH-D14 can do a 5Ghz oc. I know ppl that accomplish it on air. NH-D14 is 2nd best air cooler on the market.
    Reply to Xlerator
  36. Even though it's a good aircooler, do not go above 1.4V on air!
    Reply to amuffin
  37. Name: TheQun
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    Motherboard: Msi z77a
    CPU Voltage: 1.2100
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100/45
    Clock Speed: 4.5GHz
    RAM: Gskill 8gigs 1600mhz 7.8.7.24
    Cooling: Xspc Raystorm.
    CPU-Z Validation : http://valid.canardpc.com/2609312

not happy with 60* temps :(prime never goes above 52. :(
    Reply to thequn
  38. Name: steddora
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k
    Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6 (B3)
    CPU Voltage: -0.500v offset
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100x40
    Clock Speed: 4.0Ghz
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Cooling: Hyper 212+ using two Silverstone FM121 (110CFM@2400rpm)
    CPU-Z Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609345

Figured I'd join the rankings here. I have ran at 4.5Ghz but I don't like pushing the voltage up over 1.25v as that's when IBT will break 65C. I like my CPU cold, I can even turn the fans on the CPU off and browse/music/stream at 35-40C :)
    Reply to steddora
  39. 65C is nothing.
    Reply to amuffin
  40. I know it isn't, but eh, I like colder. My CPU@4ghz doesn't inhibit a single thing I do. I could probably get to 4.8Ghz and stabilize the thing at 1.375 or maybe a smidgen higher. But I definitely don't feel like throwing that much voltage at it, especially with air cooling like mine. I don't want to have to listen to two fans rolling that loud whenever I game. I can run BF3 @ 1k RPM on the CPU fans and hardly hear them over the PSU fan. :)
    Reply to steddora
  41. 4.5ghz would be around 1.3V. :)
    Reply to amuffin
  42. I believe I had it stable at 4.5Ghz for a few hours of Prime at 1.275 or it may have been 1.3v. However all the power saving features were disabled then as well and I couldn't keep her stable with them on. One thing I really wish I could control is the sensitivity of the speedstep technology. I move my mouse too fast and it wants to toss my CPU to 4Ghz. At 1600mhz it idles with the CPU fans not turning (high airflow around the case) at 35C. But everything wants to poke it to 4Ghz it seems.
    Reply to steddora
  43. I actually pushed this a little higher. I tested and tested with IBT and got it stable without issues after 10 runs of 10 tests each! So...

Name: steddora
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k
    Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6 (B3)
    CPU Voltage: -0.050v offset
    CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100x44
    Clock Speed: 4.4Ghz
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    Cooling: Hyper 212+ using two Silverstone FM121 (110CFM@2400rpm)
    CPU-Z Validation: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2610272

I love that low voltage, keeps my CPU so nice and cold! :) Offset is such a pain! I also finally ran into an issue. I had the power limit (short) set to 120W where at this speed she does hit 122w with IBT. So she'd automatically go back to 4.2Ghz when I ran it. Had to go switch that in the BIOS to 125W long with 5S duration and short at 130W. Fixed that issue and now you can see the results!
    Reply to steddora
  44. so there is no age limit on these? so i can drop a old P4 and hit 5ghz on air, so long as i screenshot the cpu-z thing before it bursts in to flames?

Hypothetically
    Reply to masterman467
  45. masterman467 said:
    so there is no age limit on these? so i can drop a old P4 and hit 5ghz on air, so long as i screenshot the cpu-z thing before it bursts in to flames?

Hypothetically

Well, it is just the Intel Overclocking Club after all. Nothing says that it has to be with new(er) hardware like only SB and IB CPU's.
    Reply to DJDeCiBeL
  46. masterman467 said:
    so there is no age limit on these? so i can drop a old P4 and hit 5ghz on air, so long as i screenshot the cpu-z thing before it bursts in to flames?

Hypothetically

Hypothetically. :sarcastic:
    Reply to amuffin
  47. amuffin said:
    Hypothetically. :sarcastic:

When does the spreadsheet get updated
    Reply to giltyler
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking CPUs Intel b940