Solved

GIGABYTE Guide

I read the "GIGABYTE Guide" and it is good but I cannot make a SATA/RAID/AHCI driver on my flash drive and I don't know how to get into MS-DOS.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P motherboard and it is a "mother"board to me. This is my first computer build (I've searched through everything on the motherboard forums and can find nothing). I installed 2 identical SATA hard drives and made a RAID configuration. Windows 7 won't load the operating system, so I'm supposed to make a SATA/RAID/AHCI driver by copying the SATA controller driver from the motherboard driver disk to a flash drive. They give me 2 modes to do this from, MS-DOS or windows. I can get neither to work.

Thanks,

symbiotic
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gigabyte guide
  1. First issue - your flash stick must be formatted to FAT-32. If you need to know how, post back... If it still doesn't want to work for you, answer two questions, and I'll post the files you need - you can just extract 'em to the drive:
    32 bit or 64 bit 'flavor' of seven?
    ...and, I'm assuming you have 'em on the P55's SATA ports, that is, SATA2_0 through SATA2_5?
  2. 64 bit windows seven. You assume correctly on the SATA ports.
  3. OK - here we go:

download f6flpy96x64.zip here;

extract the files to your flash drive;

enter the BIOS, and set "Legacy USB storage detect" (later BIOS say "USB Storage Function") to "Enabled";

<F10> to save, exit, and reboot;

after windoze install, and driver installation from CD, download and install "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Manager"...

Hopefully, [:isamuelson:8] good to go!
  4. Got it! Finally. You won't hear this from anyone else, I'm sure.
    This whole computer build thing is too scary for an old guy like me. Even though I finally got it together and working. My stomach was tied up in knots (actual stomach aches for days on end).
    Thank you.
    symbiotic
  5. Always [:graywolf:9] !

I are a 'old fart' [:bilbat:6], too! Learned to program FORTRAN IV as a junior in highschool (from a nun! [:lorbat:5] ) in '69 using punch cards, one per statement [:jaydeejohn:3]
  6. Okay bilbat, you are not the Doctor. You are the WIZARD! I learned Fortran IV in 1980 as a Freshman in college. Punch cards; end of job. How do you keep pace today?
    Don't answer.

The Sea
  7. I've got to get used to traversing these boards. I answered your post "I are a 'old fart' [:bilbat:6], too!", and I don't know where it went.

Sorry, but I have to ask you something else. I put in the RAID 1, and it is slow, slow, slow as you said it would be.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P with 2 x SATA 6Gb/s and 6 x 3Gb/s. I put in 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS SATA 3.0Gb/s.
    My first question is can I go to a RAID 1+0 at this stage?
    And can I mix 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX SATA 6.0Gb/s to utilize the motherboard's SATA 6.0Gb/s ports?
    Will it help, hinder, be detrimental, what? I do not have a RAID card.

Thanks,

symbiotic
  8. Best answer
    First: You can only RAID drives that are on an individual drive controller - even if the controllers are identical, in the many cases where GB has put four jMicron (GSATA2) ports on-board - they use two jMicron chips to do the control - the only controller that can do anything 'higger' thar RAID0 or RAID1 is the southbridge, or in the cases where a P55 is providing the 'main' SATA, there! Those will always be (well, until Marvell gets their drivers together some year...) the fastest, as well...

Second: WD Blacks are not suitable for RAIDing; what you need are the 'RE' series 'enterprise' drives. Blacks, like most large drives these days, have a feature called 'deep recovery cycling' which causes the drive to 'take itself off-line', and attempt to do multi-pass error recovery and format repair; the RAID controller 'sees' this as a 'dropped' drive, and marks it failed. There used to be a 'patch' from WD to disable this function - it must have induced problems of its own, as it was withdrwn, and pretty well 'scubbed off' the web! I believe this may not be as big a problem using the latest 'Rapid Storage Technology' management software (rev 9.6.0.1014), as it has a 'return to normal' offering for failed drives, that will restore function, and initiate a rebuild to ensure consistency...

You may be seeing 'stalls' for this DRC in your drives, as a RAID1 sould be pretty comparable to a standard drive in speed (these are RE3's same physical drive as a Black):

9. Best answer selected by symbiotic.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte SATA Motherboards NAS / RAID