Psycho rider Radbox project - page 3

205 answers Last reply
  1. Have to wait for the res, once I pull the rig apart to hook the box up, I also have two cards to modify and fit blocks to, no sense in stripping the rig twice hehe
    I may add temp sensors, thought about usb ports but thats probably going to happen later, I just want the cards in for now, and hopefully at ambient idle :-)
    I'll be happy with a Delta of 5 though, depends what the cards kick out on load I guess,
    **Edit after running for a while, average delta is 1-3'c, I often find the water temp below room temp when I fire the rig up though**
    Performance is secondary to me, the main focus is making what I want to happen, happen,
    Its all about the problemsolving and engineering to me, the byproduct is cool temps hehe
    Moto
  2. Rads are here,
    Xspc Ex360's

well packaged, look nice, the usual Xspc quality I know and love hehe

I stuck two Dvd drives into the res aperture (measured to same depth, res is 100mm and 80 of that is inside the box)

Why? so I can figure out routing of course :P

Looks like I'll need a right angle for one of the connections, good clearances all round though

the upper (lower in this pic as inverted ofc) of the two will not have clearance once a barbs on there and the res is in place I fear, so a right angle is probably in order

Mesh shot with rad fitted and fanned up

and yes, I'm organising wiring routes as I go :) **Edit, these are mockup fans only, I'm having fourteen Xspc 2k rpm units in there, these are being used to work it all out and pics**
    each pair of fans will be wired together on one channel so the two furthest away, the two middle and so on,

This will allow me to have the radfans on six channels, leaving two free for the rear fans (one channel each)
    giving more power to the exhaust fans and enabling lower speeds on the rad fans (Voltage splits equally between two fans should give just under half speed)
    Brains working on the gfx blocks mod and I'm getting excited about it all now :)
    lots of cooling power and very few cables/tubes on show?
    Bliss.....
    Moto
  3. You went with EX series, didn't you?

Nice work, I'm actually drawing out some initial plans that look very similar for my next project, but it will be more of a cube w/incorporated radbox and pump.
  4. I did mate, and they am nice :)
    the Rx's (as well as costing twice as much) would have nerfed the airflow too much for my liking, unless I made the box slightly longer to allow the extra room, which isn't an option (or I'd have gone for the 480's as well :P)
    let me know if I can help with your project man, be glad to input if I can :)
    Moto
  5. Sure thing; I'm really only working on some planning diagrams ATM. Work is keeping me insanely busy so it's something I'm trying to do on my few spare minutes when I have them.
  6. No probs, here if/when needed mate
    Moto
  7. sweet, the rads are here, I like the cd roms that really looks nice. the computer is directly above the box right, so the wiring for them is possible, that is a cool idea. will you be using a secondary PSU for all of this, or is the primary large enough. I run into this issue a lot, too many things, not enough power. since you won't be looking at the tubing daily, plane clear tube for the rads? well it look's nice, lots of space in there, what happened to the round black plastic stuff that was in there?
  8. i'm here for the OCD cablemanagement cake :D
  9. The Dvd drives are just to mock up the space taken by the res once its fitted, they are going back in their own Pc's :P
    the 2 inch ducting is by the side of my desk ready for the tubing and wires to go through them, black tubing throughout I have 4 metres on route,
    I can see the flow/level through the two Xspc resses and the two T-virus resses (irrelevant as my loop is 100% full, no air whatsoever in there :P)
    its all running off the TX850 in the Pc, I have a spare molex line so everything in the box will run off that one, thats about a metre molex extension I have to make up :P
    everything inside the Pc itself is run off the other one
    and I'll see the other half about a cake hehe :)
    Moto
  10. nice fans, and at half speed, that will be quite. will be waiting to see more of this build, it's a full overhaul of the system, and race ready it will be.
  11. ther fan controller will cut them to 6v, half speed and splitting two fans onto one channel will lower it further, as long as I figure out the starting voltages I can set and forget on low speed :P
    and the two at the rear can be altered to create a slight vacuum in the box, or not, depending on how much dust I get in there :P
    but yes full strip is coming and I'll wash my block/resses out while apart, and theres going to be a ton of pics for the cable management tutorial I'm writing hehe
    Moto
  12. This is clearly the way to do this. When I tried to build one, I used much thinner wood and tried to make it to fit just one rad. It was a disaster. By making a larger box out of heavier materials you bypass a lot of trouble.

We really need a build log subforum. I just have to find the right person to bribe :p
  13. I resemble that video :p
  14. hahaha
  15. @Proximon-

We have a pseudo build log thread that allows everyone to link to their actual threads and provide some teaser pics. I know it's not the best solution, but it's what we had at the time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269431-29-watercooling-build-logs

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/266324-29-water-cooling-club-gallery-picture
  16. Yes that's not anything like what I want.

This is the real deal

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?286-Liquid-Cooling-Worklogs

A place where people can go for inspiration and members can show off the process as well as the finished product. It's also a place where you can demonstrate skills that will land you actual sponsors and post sponsored builds, thus establishing legitimate relationships with various companies.

Taking build threads like this and others and putting them in one place lets users browse easily. We already have many threads like this one scattered around, and they could all go there. Some rules for the section would not be difficult to create or enforce.
  17. I did get an email back from In Win saying I could have a case or Psu if I was entering a competition anytime, which was nice :-)
    Wouldn't mind a W/c component sponsor though.....
    Moto
  18. hehehe, maybe an Aquacomputer rad :P :lol: but that'd be something huh?
  19. Nah, three mo-ra's fully fanned up and I'd make the build a Borg cube :-)
    Moto
  20. Proximon said:
    Yes that's not anything like what I want.

This is the real deal

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?286-Liquid-Cooling-Worklogs

A place where people can go for inspiration and members can show off the process as well as the finished product. It's also a place where you can demonstrate skills that will land you actual sponsors and post sponsored builds, thus establishing legitimate relationships with various companies.

Taking build threads like this and others and putting them in one place lets users browse easily. We already have many threads like this one scattered around, and they could all go there. Some rules for the section would not be difficult to create or enforce.

I agree, this would definitely be the best option, but was not something we were able to nail down around a year ago. I was originally going for getting the watercooling forum segregated with a build sub-forum, but it wouldn't work out the way we wanted.

Something like this could be beneficial to many groups, not just watercooling or even home builds...you could stretch it to customized home theater setups or home/small office networking racks.
  21. Quote:
    Something like this could be beneficial to many groups, not just watercooling or even home builds...you could stretch it to customized home theater setups or home/small office networking racks.
    both of which are something that I've been eyeing to do for a long time and have seen one person on AVS forums with an awesome mo-ra passive build for his gaming HTPC - just need the funding+time to do that.
  22. Nice work Moto,

I'm not sure if it available where you live but have you considered Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty for those joints? here in USA its about 8 dollars a can and i have used it to repair floors and other odd repairs as well. Think Bondo for wood.

http://www.amazon.com/DURHAM-Rock-Hard-Cement-Putty/dp/B002YC23WU
  23. Nice project :) looking fantastic
  24. AlderonnX said:
    Nice work Moto,

I'm not sure if it available where you live but have you considered Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty for those joints? here in USA its about 8 dollars a can and i have used it to repair floors and other odd repairs as well. Think Bondo for wood.

http://www.amazon.com/DURHAM-Rock-Hard-Cement-Putty/dp/B002YC23WU

**Assuming you mean for attaching the fan shrouds/frames to the waterblocks**
    I'm using a similar thing, its called milliput over here,
    http://milliput.com/prod.htm
    I'm scoring the blocks to key them and this stuff should hold the weight of the shrouds no problem :)

I also use it to spotweld my exhaust when needed haha :P
    good link though for US modders to use
    @constepatedyak, thanks man, hopefully be finished soon,

**ordered my blocks, tubing, Qdc's, res/pump and a couple of elbows today, http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/search.php?mode=search&page=1
    should all be here by the end of the week so saturday may be a busy one for Moto :)

Moto
  25. Got bored, bought ten http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200684179815&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:3160
    /crosses fingers I've paid all the proper bills :P
    Moto
  26. Love that Black Chrome finish!
  27. they're cheaper than on most sites in the UK right?
  28. Its about average, once you factor in postage the cheapest ones can end up as much if not more than the £3 ones, I just didn't want all my shinies here and not be able to fit because I had no fittings hehe :P

Moto
  29. Quote:
    I just didn't want all my shinies here and not be able to fit because I had no fittings hehe
    very modo like! i like them xspc fittings but can't find a themed build that suites me, atleast not yet...
  30. Few ideas then for you...

Apocalyptic
    Sterile
    Kooky
    Steampunk
    Retro (50's/60's)
    Modernist
    Surrealist
    Game/film/genre homage....

Have a wander through google images, something will talk to you hehe
    I have no preference for fittings by and large, comps are nice but barbs will do price is the main factor there I guess :P
    Moto
  31. Quote:
    price is the main factor there I guess
    yeap you've got that right!
  32. I did have a cool chat with the guy I got my blocks off and he seemed interested in the plan, I gave him the build logs so he may check them out, I realised how different from 'the norm' we are here lol,
    Most folks just stick a block on and want better temps/quiet, I want performance, looks and the omfg factor hehe
    (plus no tubes/cables visible)
    I don't want much lol
    Moto
  33. I thank that you are jest doing what they dream about doing, you're a dream maker man, and a real good one at that.
  34. Thank you man :-)
    Whats the point of a dream if you don't try to catch it though?
    Moto
  35. Excellent work!

Can't wait to see the finished project up and running ^_^

Especially excited about your DCII adventure :)
  36. Cheers man, hopefully be done soon, waiting on postman....
    Moto
  37. Shinies came today, quick pics and I'm off to treat one of my cards to an EK makeover, and tube up the radbox ready for the fans arriving,
    I hope they're here today or tomorrow, because then its just the other card and a bit of casework to do and its all Shiny Cap'n :)
    @theweather, can you stop being so, well british please? I need to go outside and cut holes in my (already violated) £100 Pc case :lol:

Yes, that is close, but they don't catch
    back later with some results pics :)
    Moto
  38. Looks like a pair of 16-inch guns on a battleship.

BTW...your radbox idea gave me a crazy modding theme for my favorite game franchise of all-time on the drive to work this AM:

Metroid themed build around Mother Brain

You could easily base a rad box to look very similar to the base of the support structure with a few 120 or 140 rads for the vents, get some flex tubing, add a bigger rad elsewhere....etc. Then, Mother Brain herself is actually your rig complete with the tubing to represent her life-support and interface system (more tubing, the better), maybe a 'red' theme for the color, and top it off with a vacuum formed acrylic dome. This would be a very do-able theme build.

39. Got YOU thinking now, hehe I like it
    MDPC Metroid build anyone? :P
    Moto
  40. I've been working on some sketches for some new builds for a week or so, but most are just generic brainstorming ideas.

This idea just popped in my head since I was already working on some designs based on a rad/pump box anyway and more of a 'cube' build. I think it would be a lot of hours, but it really wouldn't be that difficult to pull off. I just kept thinking that if you break the concept down that fundamentally, it's just a few main pieces that really work out to be a 1:1 transition from concept to reality.

My brain started going off like someone dropped a match in a fireworks tent.
  41. Looking pretty sweet so far
  42. Bit of a mixed bag, radwork went fine, started modding one card, got to the mounting stage and encountered a minor hold up, check that log for details though,
    on with the box....

Tiny bit of filing but the res is home,

And my fears of it blocking the fittings were unfounded, loads of room :)

Lets play join the dots, but with expensive W/c hardware :P
    Rad1 to Rad2 link (Rad1 is on the right as seen here)

Rad2 to res inlet

QDC's to rad1 and from pump, note different lengths and different gender connections,

I did that so I can loop them back and have the box self-contained, making filling/flushing etc way easier and a walkaway job just like the main unit is, it also prevents stupidity and damage from plugging in the loop incorrectly

and the line from rad2 has enough slack to allow the res to pull out for filling/bleeding in that situation

So thats that for the radbox just now, waiting on the fans and then I'll wire everything up ready for when the main is ready to plug in
    no sleep again today, got a decent amount done though

Moto
  43. Motopsychojdn said:
    Bit of a mixed bag, radwork went fine, started modding one card, got to the mounting stage and encountered a minor hold up, check that log for details though, on with the box....

None the less it still seems like is coming along quite nicely. What problem did you encounter in the mounting stage?
  44. EK have upgraded the mounting kit, but still supply the original fitting instructions,
    It took me a while to figure things out but we're on schedule (more or less hehe)
    Moto
  45. Motopsychojdn said:
    EK have upgraded the mounting kit, but still supply the original fitting instructions,
    It took me a while to figure things out but we're on schedule (more or less hehe)
    Moto

Ehh I'm sure it'll get done one way or another :P
  46. Already done,
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272443-11-asus-6950-dcii-plan
    like I said minor holdup hehe, theres always a way round things
    Moto
  47. Motopsychojdn said:
    Already done,
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272443-11-asus-6950-dcii-plan
    like I said minor holdup hehe, theres always a way round things
    Moto

Always. Where there's a computer there's a way....
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Graphics Cards Overclocking