Psycho rider Radbox project - page 2

205 answers Last reply
  1. I was guessing stand offs but was wrong, I never use stuff for what it's actually intended for, (well almost never), I love it when I go shopping for some special brain pop idea and there's some store employee asking if I need help? :lol:

Well what model this or that? No I'm not using it for that!
    Well what are you using it for?, maybe I can still help you?
    Here it comes > I'm water cooling my computer.
    You're What?
    I'm water cooling my computer.
    Then you get the typical responses.
    #1 Well I can't help you with that.
    #2 Is that even Possible?
    #3 That's interesting what will you be doing with this?
    Etc., etc., etc.,

MOTO you are WCOCD, it's an infection going around! :lol:

Turbulence, That gives me an idea!

Wonder what strapping the tubing to a vibrator would do? ;)

Turbulence! :lol:

Don't mind me I'm cracking up tonight! Ry
  2. 4Ryan6 said:
    I was guessing stand offs but was wrong, I never use stuff for what it's actually intended for, (well almost never), I love it when I go shopping for some special brain pop idea and there's some store employee asking if I need help? :lol:

Well what model this or that? No I'm not using it for that!
    Well what are you using it for?, maybe I can still help you?
    Here it comes > I'm water cooling my computer.
    You're What?
    I'm water cooling my computer.
    Then you get the typical responses.
    #1 Well I can't help you with that.
    #2 Is that even Possible?
    #3 That's interesting what will you be doing with this?
    Etc., etc., etc.,

I can't even begin to count how many times I've wandered around a Home Depot, Lowe's or ACE hardware for an hour or 2 looking for all these ideas...and having people chase me around asking these exact questions. Most of the time, I've learned it's much simpler to tell them you are doing OK rather than try to explain everything you are trying to do...and either with tremendous skepticism, or really strange looks. You really get this when you start toting radiators, fans and pumps or reservoirs in with you. 'No, thank you...but I promise I'm not building a bomb, sir.'

Better yet, when you are browsing online for automotive heater cores and misc coolers, as well as sites that carry millions of tubing connectors, manifolds, fittngs, etc. and people at work ask if you are working on a home project or your car needs new parts...'No...this stuff is for a cooling system for my computer.'

Moto- your ideas are giving me ideas to take my upcoming month-long sabattical and book a trip across the pond to work on a collaborative project. :)
  3. Hehe, whatever we built would probably get you held up at customs for an extra week :-)
    Oh, I just had a sick idea off that!

Rig up a little stand/Intravenous line on your desk and have the bag as your res :-)
    http://www.changbioscience.com/store/images/anatomical/SMF50/50vein.jpg
    its got a return at the top and feed from the bottom to your pump,
    Dr Moto's medical W/c project :-)
    Moto
  4. Motopsychojdn said:

Rig up a little stand/Intravenous line on your desk and have the bag as your res :-)
    Dr Moto's medical W/c project :-)
    Moto

That would be bad ass as! Some sort of custom lcd fan controller that shows temps/rpm as some variant of a heartbeat monitor to go with it would be cool to.
  5. benikens said:
    That would be bad ass as! Some sort of custom lcd fan controller that shows temps/rpm as some variant of a heartbeat monitor to go with it would be cool to.

Totally do-able, you'd have to program it to read every second or so then return to zero, just to give the rise and fall effect associated with monitors, beyond me but easily done
    Moto
  6. Quote:
    Wonder what strapping the tubing to a vibrator would do? ;)

Turbulence! :lol:

there are mad scientists brooding in here! :ouch: and i'm getting ideas as well :) thank you Dr. WCOCD

the people at customs in my country tagged my rad as an automotive engine radiator, when mentioned that i'd watercool my computer they just gazed into my eyes and looked at me from head to toe...then looked at me some more until they giggled and said, "We won't fall for that! This is how much you'lll need to pay as tax." [:lutfij:2]
  7. **Wonder what strapping the tubing to a vibrator would do? **

Finally get your other half onboard with the project?
    :P
    Moto
  8. Few supplies came on the post pony today,

The epoxy putty I'll use to weld the shrouds frame to the blocks,
    (also note the meccano brackets for supporting the other end)
    10X4mm Hss drill bits, because dull bits don't cut very well :P
    5m each of red and black 18Awg for molex extension and power button leads
    and a roll of my favourite fabric tape,
    fancontroller still on route I guess but I'm getting fired up for friday, ordering rads and res/pump, tubing and fittings
    maybe the fans as well, have to wait and see.
    @Lutfij, you should've gotten Toms up on your phone to prove to them you're a Watercooler :P
    Moto
  9. Quote:
    @Lutfij, you should've gotten Toms up on your phone to prove to them you're a Watercooler
    Moto
    HA! wish call rates were lower here, oi! does TOM's have a helpline service - or maybe have Rubix, Ryan or you talk to them when i get another shipment of watercooling stuff :) :P

i can't wait to see the cablemanagement on this sucker!
  10. I meant put Toms on your internet on the phone but yeah, I'll be a helpline hehe :P
    Cablemanagement will ofc be as perfect as I can get it,
    one of the reasons I can't mockup/ precut the holes in the side is I can't accurately judge how much extra will need to come out for cable/wrapping diameters but this is where patience is handy
    talking of mockups though, Pc on pedestal with ducting in place, Glands not shown as I haven't cut out the holes in the case yet :P

I moved the speaker off the box for the pic.
    How they'll exit the box,

and roughly where they'll be up top,

/Cackles madly...
    *Edit, @Rubix, you see what I meant about oversize tubing on your build now? :P
    Moto
  11. Quote:
    I meant put Toms on your internet on the phone
    :lol: my E75 is acting up with the net for a few weeks, but also a viable option :)
  12. :( Work turned off the free Wi-Fi here and I'm not risking my job to ahem, 'find out' the password for the encryted network :P
    but I fried my data plan this month so no net at work till it rolls over
    As a side thought for anyone who asks/suggests it, I did consider mounting the speaker in the box then decided against it :)
    Moto
  13. Quote:
    I did consider mounting the speaker in the box then decided against it
    :lol:
  14. Quote:
    *Edit, @Rubix, you see what I meant about oversize tubing on your build now?

Indeed, I do. That is some massive tubing.

There is a Tom's App for Android and Apple that has links for the forums. The only beef I have with it is that the forum interface is not mobile web friendly.
  15. Wow, That picture of your PC next to the window gave me a Borg flashback! Cool! :)
  16. Well I do tend to assimilate things into the build hehe
    Moto
  17. Resistance is Futile! :)
  18. More toys today, two switches turned up, the momentary and only one of the on/off's
    quick phonecall later and the third should be here soon, heatsinks finally got here from china and I had an idea......

I've been looking around for speaker grills to cover/filter the fans on the side of the box, I totally forgot I have the old sidepanel from the rider,

I'll cut it in half and its about the right size, looks nice and theres mounting holes all ready, the spacing won't be right so I'll just screw them to the middle fans on each rad,
    and as a mounting plate for the switches I'll use one of the spare Xspc plates that came with my res/pump, put a hole in the box and screw it in place
    http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/xspc-x2o-750-dual-5.25in-bay-reservoir-pump-x20-750-2.html
    brains warming up now hehe :P
    Moto
  19. looking good, have you redesigned the box yet to fit all the stuff properly, or are you still working on that. I like your idea about the speaker cover to hold a air filter for the fans. mind if I implement the idea as well, been tinkering with different styles of fan covers, and this seem to be the easiest to use.
  20. Yeah, looking like a winner....

Moto
  21. @Toolmaker, I wing things hehe,
    I will usually wait until I have things to hand, and then its like I know where they 'belong' like theres no other place it could go, and then find the way to make it fit, and it just seems natural (I often wonder how the human brain works/is supposed to work, let alone my brain hehe)
    I'm very strange but once the switch in my head flips, get out of the way way lol cause I'm moving and no power in the verse can stop me :)
    **Edit, designwise for the switches plate, I'm favouring at the front with the real res plate and fan controller, mostly to avoid cats nuzzling my powerswitch whilst the Rigs on :P
    Ofc mate, feel free to borrow anything you see me do,:)

Moto
  22. I had a cat that would do that, if I ignored him for too long while playing games, he would place his paw on the power switch until the computer shut down. I paid attention to him then, of course he always ran off.
  23. they aren't called feline's for nothing - they draw a mans attention like a lady :P
  24. And some gratuitous shots of whats in store for the switches...

They won't be in the existing space, i'll cut out and drill a middle section as marked

and when the last one gets here, its all shiny Cap'n :P

I really shouldn't get bored hehe
    **Edit, we've kind of discussed things as I run around the house finding measure tapes, pens, drill bits etc, and the Gf and I have decided this is turning into a Firefly tribute, bit by bit hehe
    Moto
  25. Its a homage to the three switches Alan Tudyk (Wash) always flicked before doing anything on Firefly/Serenity,
    and I'm a Browncoat so it had to be done :)
    they're just 10A/15a switches commonly used in loads of things
    **Edit, one of which is momentary for the powerbutton, the other two are full on/off's
    Moto
  26. Ok, Rads should be here monday,
    ordered my Qdc's and four metres of tubing,
    pump/res is paid for but on backorder so maybe 3rd of may for that,
    but once I have the rads I can cut the holes out for them and see how the grill works,
    inserts came but they are metal? I suspect lowgrade steel or tin so waiting on a response from vendor there....
    still to buy,
    10x fittings for blocks etc,
    Gpu blocks
    14x Fans
    Brain tired, I think thats everything though, 45 mins sleep today.....
    Moto
  27. Fan controllers here and heres the switches on their plate, need to drill the mounting holes but its ready

Moto
  28. that FP mod of the switches looks neat - though its not on a high res pic :P so i can't say for sure
  29. so are you placing two fans per chanel or more, thats a nice controler man, lots of power.
  30. Motopsychojdn said:
    **Edit, we've kind of discussed things as I run around the house finding measure tapes, pens, drill bits etc, and the Gf and I have decided this is turning into a Firefly tribute, bit by bit hehe
    Moto

Your GF supports your modding?

Moto you're the luckiest guy on the freaking planet! :)
  31. @Toolmaker, the six fans on each rad will be paired up yes inside and outside so,
    1[]1 on one channel,
    2[]2
    3[]3 and repeated on the second rad,
    and the two fans at the rear will have a channel each so I can alter the exhaust independantly of intake

@Ryan, I know mate, she often gives me ideas and projects to steampunk up :P

So, the rest of the days work then....

marked up and drilled out the magic switches hole,

and the fan controllers hole,

Shiny...

Whilst I had the drill and bench out I thought I may as well get the resses home ready too,

taped up a fan bank and screwed the mesh to it, well I had daylight so I made another set of holes....

I lined the top of the mesh with the top of the box, and screws pull it tight to the box

although the second bank is just held on by one fan atm

More photo's in a minute.
    Moto

32. back on the desk now,

and inside shot,

not a bad days work seeing as i don't have anything else to fit yet :P
    Moto
  33. Ever think about using a rotozip cutter or a dremel plunge cutter instead of using a drill like a saw lol
  34. I have a dremel type thing, but the boards 20mm and the cuts are too long for a dremel to comfortably handle,
    circular saw too big and angle grinder doesn't have the depth of cut, and I don't own a jigsaw anymore :P
    Moto
  35. ouch see i cant let myself do something unless I have the right tools to do it. its sucks lol. but good for you the build looks great.
  36. I'd love workspace and 'proper' tools but my ethos is in my tagline,
    I needed holes, and I find a way to make it :P
    Moto
  37. ok then i challenge you to building a custom case using only a pocket knife :P
  38. tougas said:
    ok then i challenge you to building a custom case using only a pocket knife :P

Well, That's going to take a while! :lol:
  39. notice how he hasnt posted again. hes probably already carving lol
  40. In bed on phone, interested in challenge but I'll debate that tomorrow :-)
    Moto
  41. i'd watch what he does than pass off trash talk :)
  42. I admire the can do attitude of previous generations,
    my generation and the ones succeeding it are very much of the 'who do we phone' or 'what do I buy to solve this' attitude, I am very much self-reliant and only defer to others when I don't have the skills/ facilities to do the job myself,

Example,
    The local waterboard came to replace a wastepipe last year, it wasn't broken it was just on the list for replacement,
    this is the toilet/water waste from the bathroom of two adjoining houses ok,

they broke and removed the pipe then discovered they had not brought the pipe to replace it.....
    on a bank holiday weekend (In U.K. bank holidays are long weekends where nothing is open/noone to call and shout at :P)
    So I got out the duct tape and my leatherman...

Robinsons 2.5l bottle
    Pringles tube
    sheet of cardboard,

cardboard covered in D.t. and formed into a tube,
    hole cut in juice bottle to fit pringles tube, sealed with D.t.
    bottle fitted into claypipe using D.t. gasket
    and cardboard tube slid to exit pipe,
    there was a tray at the back of the Juice bottle to support it (not shown in pic obv)

it withstood (and was in working order when removed)
    about 30 flushes and a 150L of bathwater, even the guys who came to fix the pipe were impressed

When the zombie apocalypse hits I'll be surviving whilst 99% of the worlds population is calling 'someone' to help
    :P
    Yes, I have several Z.A. plans all ready....
    Moto
  43. 1985 mate, and i agree 200% with modo. i suppose one of the precious items to take along during Z.A will be this rad box outfitted with a survival kit and some fast wheels should you need to flee :P :D?
  44. what? you don't think its possible? :)
  45. Rads should be here tomorrow so I can put those in for a mockup, the res is the waiter though, estimated in stock date of 3rd of may...
    meh, patience is a virtue hehe
    Moto
  46. posting to follow thread and see how this turns out. looks cool
  47. No probs man, nice to see you in here and thanks for the compliment :-)
    I hope it turns out well too :-p
    Even apart from the aesthetics, I should see 10'c drop off the cards, maybe even a degree or two off the Cpu
    Oh, and I get to flick cool switches hehe
    Moto
  48. that's a long time from now, are you going to use the new box until then. or are you going to wait for the res to get here? and do it all at the same time, if you do wait at least you'll have time to tweak on it, and get it looking jest right. I'm figuring a couple of months as well for completion, looking good though your box has a lot of thought put into it. have you built a lot of speaker boxes? has some of the same feel to it on the inside. the outside does look like something you'd see, if in a pilot's seat. good vision, any other add-on's to the outside?
  49. Quote:
    Oh, and I get to flick cool switches hehe
    unlike deedee - who pushed buttons...lol, that makes us huh, so modo has just distanced himself ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Graphics Cards Overclocking