Lost 9MB from HDD, Where did it go?

Hello,

I just got a WD6401AALS, and I have done a few quick formats and a few full formats on it trying to get my XP install just right(I have been messing around with Nlite), well to the point after doing this over the past week when I go to format my HDD before a clean install I have now lost 9MB from 610479MB to 610470MB.

Now I now this is an insignificant amount and not worth a bother but I am just curious of to where it went and why?

Thanks. :)
4 answers Last reply
More about lost
  1. Formatting always has some overhead. Also, drive manufacturers list a gig as 10^9 or 1,000,000,000 bytes. Computer science lists it as 2^30 or 1,073,741,824 bytes. See GB vs GiB.
  2. I fully understand the math behind HDD space, I was just reffering to the unpartitioned, unformatted drive space that the windows installer shows me.
  3. XP always does that. Some disk space is reserved by Setup in case you later want to upgrade the disk to a dynamic disk. Dynamic disk information is saved at the end of the disk. The amount that is reserved is a minimum of one cylinder, or 1MB, whichever is greater. One cylinder can be up to 8MB, depending on drive geometry and translation.
  4. Great, thanks for the explanation. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage