Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive with Clicking Sound!

Hey guys,

I have a Seagate 1TB Barracuda 32mb Hard Drive (ST31000528AS) and ever since i got it, it's been making a lot of clicking noises. It's not constantly clicking, it clicks when the hard drive is at rest and i want to open or a particular application needs to access it. Basically, if i open a file on the hard drive when at rest, the file will not open right away, it will stall for 2-5 seconds, then make one click and then the file finally opens... I heard that for Seagate hard drives, they are always making noises and it's normal and not just my particular one... but it isn't normal that the hard drive has such a long response when accessing a file! =/ PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!
8 answers Last reply
More about seagate barracuda hard drive clicking sound
  1. Same here with me .. long loading times ... which is the best next to seagate ?
  2. It sounds like you got a bad drive.

RMA it to the vendor you bought it form. If they won't take it then contact Seagate as all their HDD's have a 5 year warranty.

If you do get your money back I suggest you check out the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives. They are great drives. Check out the charts on Toms for some numbers.
  3. Same problem here with my Seagate 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB drive!

Just avoid Seagate drive in the future!
  4. Backup the data on the drives fast. Clicking sounds in a hard drive are not good.
  5. jsc said:
    Backup the data on the drives fast. Clicking sounds in a hard drive are not good.

Do you think that I will be able to RMA it for the issue?
  6. Bare in mind that a huge batch of the Barracuda drives were cursed with a dodgy firmware bug, which I've heard can brick the HD. I'd get in touch with their support just to make sure you have the correct firmware,
    Good luck.
  7. You should be able to RMA it for that issue. I would recommend backing up all of your data immediately because a clicking noise in a drive is never a good thing.
  8. same here. i hate to hear that. seems buying drives are like rolling the dice these days.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Seagate Storage