DDR3 or DDR2 for new computer?

Hey guys,

I am building a new video editing computer. Should I spend the extra money and definitely go with DDR3? Is DDR3 way better even if it has higher timing and voltage?

I am going with Win XP Pro 64Bit
4 GB Ram
probably Q9450 Quad Core.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about ddr3 ddr2 computer
  1. well i've read several online articles about building a new pc around ddr3 since it will be the new standard but you're right it's so much more than ddr2 right now it's hard to justify. i think there might be boards out there that support both so you could go cheap now and upgrade to ddr3 later when it comes down.

here's a good one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128082
  2. spitfire,

the performance of ram is based on the ram's lantancy and frequency, i dont understand it well enough to explain but the trend is for the frequency to increase the timmings get longer but overall the performance is increased (as seen from ddr, ddr2, ddr3).

currently there are very few ddr3 modules and motherboards out that will give you any significant performance increase. the higher end ddr2 modules are still contending on a performance basis to the mainstream ddr3 ram. another point to consider is that you can get a lot of ddr2 these days for very little, not just mainstream but performance ram is relatively cheap.

i would look at ddr2 1060 with an x38mb, p-35 mb or 750i mb

i would vote against a ddr2\ddr3 mb from what i've read they only have 2 slots for ddr3 and you cant use ddr2 at the same time, go one way or the other
  3. Your a life saver guys. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 Computer Video Editing Product