Increase your FPS in DOOM3

Open the .pk4 files with winzip, extract them with full pathname inside
..\doom3\base dir
Rename the pk4 files or delete them (if u have space I recommend renaming
them)
This increased my FPS by 20. So now I get about 40 - 60 fps in firefights.

The downside to this is that the game wont work in MP.
But the rename the pk4 files back, and move the other files to ie temp
inside base dir.

--

/t
8 answers Last reply

    On 8/6/2004 12:47 PM Tommy Sundstrøm brightened our day with:

    >Open the .pk4 files with winzip, extract them with full pathname inside
    >.\doom3\base dir
    >Rename the pk4 files or delete them (if u have space I recommend renaming
    >them)
    >This increased my FPS by 20. So now I get about 40 - 60 fps in firefights.
    >
    >The downside to this is that the game wont work in MP.
    >But the rename the pk4 files back, and move the other files to ie temp
    >inside base dir.

    Not according to Duffy. He says this is a bogus tweak that will only
    increase load times.
    Your imagining things.
    I've heard this one with every id engine game that has pak files, and
    its always been wrong.

    --
    The Brain From Planet Arous (1958):
    "Bad alien Gor takes over scientist Steve's brain; good alien Vol takes over Steve's dog's brain."

    Steve [Inglo]

    Yes I hear removing files you don't need speeds
    things up.

    how about you format c:

    then maybe you will be a little quicker

    Inglo wrote:

    > Your imagining things.

    My fps counter shows more fps when gaming.

    --

    /t

    Tommy Sundstrøm wrote:
    > Inglo wrote:
    >
    >> Your imagining things.
    >
    > My fps counter shows more fps when gaming.

    You could be right Inglo.
    Tested with a earlier save game where there was a lot of light and movement.
    NO increase there.
    It seems the level Im on now dont require a so much from my gfx card, thats
    why it show 20fps more.
    Oh well, had to give it a try.

    --

    /t

    Zenmasta wrote:
    > Yes I hear removing files you don't need speeds
    > things up.
    >
    > how about you format c:
    >
    > then maybe you will be a little quicker

    Impressive!

    --

    /t

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:47:55 +0200, "Tommy Sundstrøm" <tommy@h-nett.no> wrote:

    >The downside to this is that the game wont work in MP.
    >But the rename the pk4 files back, and move the other files to ie temp
    >inside base dir.

    Moving files back into the pak will make it have a different crc than the
    original paks on the cd. Guess what? No pure servers for you!

    Tommy Sundstrøm wrote:
    > Open the .pk4 files with winzip, extract them with full pathname inside
    > .\doom3\base dir
    > Rename the pk4 files or delete them (if u have space I recommend renaming
    > them)
    > This increased my FPS by 20. So now I get about 40 - 60 fps in firefights.
    >
    > The downside to this is that the game wont work in MP.
    > But the rename the pk4 files back, and move the other files to ie temp
    > inside base dir.

    Well since we're on the topic of getting more fps in doom3, if you use
    an nvidia card make sure you grab the 61.77 drivers. They give a
    definite speed increase in this game (Even on my pos fx5200).

    -sTiVen
    http://www.planetquake.com/sgquake

    Yeh i guess thats why he said that it dont work in multilpay :)

    Ken

    "Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:47:55 +0200, "Tommy Sundstrøm" <tommy@h-nett.no>
    wrote:

    > >The downside to this is that the game wont work in MP.
    > >But the rename the pk4 files back, and move the other files to ie temp
    > >inside base dir.
    >
    > Moving files back into the pak will make it have a different crc than the
    > original paks on the cd. Guess what? No pure servers for you!

Internet Explorer Games FPS Video Games