Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Pc or 360

Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
6 July 2010 05:20:44

I have a choice of either a new slim xbox 360 or xbox 360 elite and a few games or a good gaming pc but maybe 1 or 2 games. My computer now is quite old and not sure if I need to get a new one.

More about : gaming 360

6 July 2010 05:22:32

The pc I was thinking about was a HP pavillion elite HPE-380t with 2GB ATI 5570, or 1GB 5570 (If the 2gb is really needed), 12GB or RAM, i7-930, 1TB hard drive.
6 July 2010 23:24:53

You can build a nicer rig for less money...
Related resources
7 July 2010 01:55:52

The main difference between console gaming & pc gaming is graphics (which, on pc, are just superior to those on console). You have to decide whether that is a crucial factor in your purchase.
The PC you're thinking is extremely unbalanced, with truckloads of RAM (which is not required for games), a top tier processor (great for gaming but not the most value-for-money proposition if gaming is your sole concern) & a below average graphics card.
7 July 2010 10:25:30

So really you're saying that that much RAM is not needed and the Graphics needs upgrading quite a bit. Ok. What graphics card is good out of these:

-1GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI,HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]
-1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
-1.5GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 230 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
-2GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI,HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]
-1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
-1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 [dual-link DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]

Also I do not really need the graphics to be amazing, but I would like the computer to last a long time before the computer struggles to run games.

The other thing is that the 360 is a lot cheaper initially and for me in the long term it will also be cheaper.

Where can I find a Rig for less money, I have looked in quite a lot of places?
Thanks for the reply and advice.
7 July 2010 14:30:51

pd4000 said:
So really you're saying that that much RAM is not needed and the Graphics needs upgrading quite a bit. Ok. What graphics card is good out of these:

Also I do not really need the graphics to be amazing, but I would like the computer to last a long time before the computer struggles to run games.

The other thing is that the 360 is a lot cheaper initially and for me in the long term it will also be cheaper.

Look for the prices of the component parts. The satisfaction of putting it all together yourself is worth quite a bit as well. You don't need a whizzy case - plain ones can be bought very cheaply - and your existing optical drives are probably adequate. Go for a decent power supply unit without cutting costs on that.

Researching for compatible parts should take at least four times as long as screwing it all together.
/
7 July 2010 19:43:45

pd4000 said:

The 5770 would be the best bet amongst those. You could look for pre-built rigs all over the place, just go to newegg or amazon or any other site of your choice, & configure one within your budget.
Or you could built one yourself (which is more tedious but well worth the effort).