Enforce Hardware Profile from Group Policy

Hello! Is there a setting in Group Policy which allows you to enforce a
certain hardware profile on a user when he/she logs onto the system? My
dilema is a request to place a system on my network in a public area which
has a CDRom. I want to be able to control who can actually use the CDRom
drive; that is, disable the drive unless an authorized user is logged on.

Perhaps I am going about this in the wrong direction. The purpose of this
question is this system in the public area needs to use the CDRom drive to
acess just a certain few CDs. I just don't want the users to be able to load
applications or just any data, but only the data on authorized CDs. Any help
would be appreciated! The computer system will use Windows XP.
2 answers Last reply
More about enforce hardware profile group policy

    Hi,

    Thanks for posting!

    It appears to be a Windows XP issue. Please post this question in the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.gerneral newsgroup. That newsgroup is primarily
    for issues involving Windows XP. We recommend posting appropriately so you
    will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and so other partners who
    regularly read the newsgroups can either share their knowledge or learn
    from your interaction with us.

    For your convenience, I would like to provide you with some information for
    your reference:

    You could use Group Policy to restrict access to the CD-Rom through Windows
    Explorer or My Computer though this will not prevent a user from accessing
    through the command prompt - read full explanation of the setting.
    Gpedit.msc is used to open Local Security Policy. Look under user
    configuration/administrative templates/Windows components/windows Explorer.
    The problem you will then have is that local GP applied to all users.
    However, you may apply local polices to all users except administrators.
    (Note: it must be in workgroup environment). Hence, standard users cannot
    access the CD-Rom except administrator. For more information, please refer
    to the following article:

    How to apply local policies to all users except administrators in a
    workgroup setting in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293655

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Thanks, Jason, for pointing me in a direction. I'll repost to the group you
    suggested.
    --
    Best Regards,

    Mark

    "Jason Tan (MSFT)" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for posting!
    >
    > It appears to be a Windows XP issue. Please post this question in the
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.gerneral newsgroup. That newsgroup is primarily
    > for issues involving Windows XP. We recommend posting appropriately so you
    > will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and so other partners who
    > regularly read the newsgroups can either share their knowledge or learn
    > from your interaction with us.
    >
    > For your convenience, I would like to provide you with some information for
    > your reference:
    >
    > You could use Group Policy to restrict access to the CD-Rom through Windows
    > Explorer or My Computer though this will not prevent a user from accessing
    > through the command prompt - read full explanation of the setting.
    > Gpedit.msc is used to open Local Security Policy. Look under user
    > configuration/administrative templates/Windows components/windows Explorer.
    > The problem you will then have is that local GP applied to all users.
    > However, you may apply local polices to all users except administrators.
    > (Note: it must be in workgroup environment). Hence, standard users cannot
    > access the CD-Rom except administrator. For more information, please refer
    > to the following article:
    >
    > How to apply local policies to all users except administrators in a
    > workgroup setting in Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293655
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan