Closed

Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)

Hi,

I'm having weird problems on my windows 2000 advanced server machine.
Everything is fine and then, after some time, when I start internet explorer
or any other app, I get an error about this app (any) that says "Application
failed to initalize properly (0xc0000142)" Even the task manager won't
start. If I close one running app or two, I am able to start apps again
normally, until the same problem shows up again, etc etc. Another thing that
happens is that when I try to open a mapped drive, I get this error
"Insufficient system resources to complete the requested service". And
again, if I close one app or two, I can open my mapped drive and I'll get
the same error again a couple of minutes later.
Anyone can help me out?
Thank you,
Alexandre
3 answers Last reply
More about application failed initialize properly 0xc0000142

    I found a MS Knowledge Base article that seems to be in line with this
    problem. If you seem to have a set limit on the number of applications
    that you can have running concurrently, adjust your "desktop heap"
    parameters in the registry.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\SubSystems

    Modify the section that says "SharedSection=x,y,z"
    X is the "system-wide" heap
    Y is the "per-session" heap
    Z is the "non-interactive" heap

    These numbers are in kb.

    When I modified mine I had to increase the Z parm, but for you I would
    imagine it would be both X and Y.

    MS says that if you increase the parms around 256 or 512 it should be
    enough to run your apps.

    I had a similar problem with one of my servers that was running a
    nightly scheduled task that would open MS access and run a macro.
    Problem was the script would never close access when it was done. I
    ended up having 34 copies of access running before my scripts stopped
    working.

    Given I really didn't HAVE to adjust the heap parameters; just closing
    the access instances would have done the trick. But it worked before I
    found out I had all those programs running.

    MS KB824422
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824422

    Article references a problem with SQL server, but in reality it applies
    to any program.

    Joe
  2. Quote:

[...]

    Hi, My settings about this release is :
    %SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,1024 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

    so : SharedSection=1024,3072,1024 : i think it could be enough .
    But I still have the problem . Slowly growing the Pagefile size and appears the message like abow, What is on the matter and ending the apps . So I try to increase the RAM from 1GB to 2 or Higher (3GB) I hope it will close my problem .
  3. i followed this guide: http://tinyurl.com/637dt48 and it worked flawlessly.

Windows