Sign in with
Your question

What kind of articles do you want?

Last response: in Site Feedback

What kind of articles do you want to see from Tom's?

Total: 54 votes (9 blank votes)

• CPU round-ups: Old vs New
  • 20 %
  • Motherboard reviews (these have been boring me personally)
  • 10 %
  • Hard drive round-ups (some old vs new would be cool here too)
  • 6 %
  • Some recent hdd vs ssd comparisons
  • 12 %
  • Graphics cards reviews (I always love these but it would be nice if they threw some old cards into the mix)
  • 22 %
  • Pre-built system reviews (nice to see how different hardware combo's perform)
  • 6 %
  • Beginners How-To's (like the recent "Basics of Crossfire and SLI" :snooze:)
  • 9 %
  • Case mod reviews
  • 8 %
  • Rico M's "what-if" news articles
  • 6 %
  • More cell-phone news and reviews (I'm getting sick of these personally)
  • 4 %
9 August 2010 21:50:43

I've been getting very bored :sleep:  with the main articles on Tom's lately and I'm pretty sure if I am then many others probably are as well. Don't get me wrong, tech pieces like: " PCI Express And SLI Scaling: How Many Lanes Do You Need? " have their value. This one though is a bit old and seems to be rehashed every year or so. Stuff like this could stand to just be an update to an old article. Why recover old ground? The other day's case mods story, fun to look at but we're seeing too much fluff and not enough of the hardware articles that I used to love. There were two main reason why I used to start coming to Tom's regularly,

#1 was the hardware charts, whenever I'm going to build a PC, for me or others, I like to see the current scale of hardware;

#2 was the review of the latest hardware and tech. Granted, hardware is only released every so often, BUT Tom's picks and chooses what to review. Not a bad thing as we know that resources are limited but all that extra hardware could be placed into roundups. e.g. I have little idea how modern platter based drives perform compared to each other, it has also been a very long time since any hardware review sites have displayed how SSD's compare to platter drives, the new stuff has not been compared...

So who is with me, do you want to see more of the hardware reviews and comparisons that built this site? Or do you like all the fluffy stuff they're putting out now? Answer the poll and lets find out.

I ran out of room with options, so if you want to write something in below then please do!

More about : kind articles

11 August 2010 21:34:05

I like any article that presents scaling, like the GPU and CPU charts, but also I like to see what modifies that scaling, like chipset differences, # of PCI lanes, or other information common in motherboard reviews and/or roundups.
I'd also like to see more peripheral reviews. Printers, UPS units, fan controllers, and desk lamps (of all things!), all get very little coverage here. I would appreciate some good articles on fans.
Since this is a site frequented by gamers, some game reviews might be nice (if it isn't kicking a dead horse, bring back Rob & Ben). I'm particularly interested in the interface and mechanics of various games.
Even if it isn't the focus, I ALWAYS like to see efficiency and power use data included, where relevant.
A series devoted to quiet computing would be nice. If it makes noise, who makes the quietest one (that works)?
Finally, as impressive as the high-end stuff is, I'd like to see a much greater awareness of budget. "How low can you go?" is always useful information.
Thanks for listening...
11 August 2010 21:47:20

Voted.

While this poll is a relatively good idea, in my personal opinion you should try to keep the poll options unbiased.
Related resources
11 August 2010 22:31:28

garlik_bread said:
Voted.

While this poll is a relatively good idea, in my personal opinion you should try to keep the poll options unbiased.

+1
12 August 2010 03:14:59

Quote:
I am just sick of the "The iPhone burned and shot and dipped in liquid metal", "Some guy drew a picture of what could possibly be an available optional vehicle in 50 years.", type articles, the articles that are old rehashed articles like the one about the guy getting the speeding ticket from APRIL that was just posted two days ago like it was some kind of new news...

I signed up here since like 2007 and I have noticed a steady decline in the intelligence of the posts on the news articles that seems to go hand in hand with the intelligence of the new articles.

Also, some simple proof reading of the article by the "news team" would also be great. A ton of simple spelling errors, grammatical errors and other things "journalists" should not be making...

Just my 2ยข

+1
12 August 2010 03:45:28

i know you're trying to get attention for your poll sublifer but could you please stop spamming every single news article or review
12 August 2010 04:30:12

personally i want to see more ati articles poking fun at the fermi cards!

:-)

i never voted on the poll as it's obviously biased !

Thanks for wasting my time
12 August 2010 04:45:33

garlik_bread said:
Voted.

I understand your viewpoint but wanted to write the poll and see answers based on my own views (12 years visiting Tom's) I certainly didn't intend to demean anyone with less experience/knowledge and reading my poll options I can see how it can come off that way. I apologize if I've offended you or anyone else.
12 August 2010 04:48:20

ordcestus said:
i know you're trying to get attention for your poll sublifer but could you please stop spamming every single news article or review

I didn't spam them all, I hit the first news article that I read this morning, opened a few that I thought were worthless (in my own opinion) with the intention of leaving the poll link. I then opened a few more, one or two that I wanted to read and just left the link because I was already there. If you look at all of todays posts I think you'll see I only left the link on 5 or 6 articles.
12 August 2010 04:50:35

justchuck69 said:
personally i want to see more ati articles poking fun at the fermi cards!

:-)

i never voted on the poll as it's obviously biased !

Thanks for wasting my time

You're entitled to your opinions the same as I am. Yes, it was a bit biased but the reason I created the poll was to see who agreed. I thought the anti-fermi ad was pretty funny too and like seeing articles like that.
12 August 2010 14:41:14

sublifer said:
I've been getting very bored :sleep:  with the main articles on Tom's lately and I'm pretty sure if I am then many others probably are as well. Don't get me wrong, tech pieces like: " PCI Express And SLI Scaling: How Many Lanes Do You Need? " have their value. This one though is a bit old and seems to be rehashed every year or so. Stuff like this could stand to just be an update to an old article. Why recover old ground? The other day's case mods story, fun to look at but we're seeing too much fluff and not enough of the hardware articles that I used to love. There were two main reason why I used to start coming to Tom's regularly,

#1 was the hardware charts, whenever I'm going to build a PC, for me or others, I like to see the current scale of hardware;

#2 was the review of the latest hardware and tech. Granted, hardware is only released every so often, BUT Tom's picks and chooses what to review. Not a bad thing as we know that resources are limited but all that extra hardware could be placed into roundups. e.g. I have little idea how modern platter based drives perform compared to each other, it has also been a very long time since any hardware review sites have displayed how SSD's compare to platter drives, the new stuff has not been compared...

So who is with me, do you want to see more of the hardware reviews and comparisons that built this site? Or do you like all the fluffy stuff they're putting out now? Answer the poll and lets find out.

I ran out of room with options, so if you want to write something in below then please do!

Sub,

Just wanted to let you know that I/we do see this sort of feedback (though it's not as easy to find in the forums compared to a direct email).

We're working on the charts. There is so much data, and we're somewhat hamstrung by the development resources in France. It's frustrating to me and the editorial team, but that's the truth. Nevertheless, we're still making updates. I just need to make a more vocal announcement about the data points recently added.

As far as the latest hardware and tech goes, we review everything we can get our hands on that is new. There has been a lull in launches the past couple of months, but there's not much we can do about that (aside from launching some new Tom's Hardware-branded cards or boards ;-)). With that said, if you're looking for storage-based content, there is some more of that coming next week! And we're also starting to work with Newegg to put together Tom's Hardware-inspired hardware bundles. More on that in the next System Builder Marathon!

I'll share my vision here for you to comment on, Sub. I want to see Tom's Hardware continue covering the latest and greatest hardware--we won't skip a beat when it comes to processors, graphics cards, storage, motherboards, and the new technologies driving these products. This will continue. I'll keep publishing something new every day. But I also want to add and expand. You've seen some of this already. Adam is working on Linux-based coverage. Paul's Balanced PC series. William working on beamforming and other interesting networking technologies (he recently had to throw in the towel on an RF interference piece because the data just wasn't conclusive enough for a Tom's Hardware story). I'm working on folding in more workstation and server coverage. The list goes on and on. But, in essence, we also want to give the audience new content types they haven't seen before.

Hope that addresses your concerns somewhat, Sub. You know how to reach me by email if you really want to start a conversation. ;-)

Best regards,
Chris Angelini
12 August 2010 21:34:59

cangelini said:
Sub,

Just wanted to let you know that I/we do see this sort of feedback (though it's not as easy to find in the forums compared to a direct email).

We're working on the charts. There is so much data, and we're somewhat hamstrung by the development resources in France. It's frustrating to me and the editorial team, but that's the truth. Nevertheless, we're still making updates. I just need to make a more vocal announcement about the data points recently added.

As far as the latest hardware and tech goes, we review everything we can get our hands on that is new. There has been a lull in launches the past couple of months, but there's not much we can do about that (aside from launching some new Tom's Hardware-branded cards or boards ;-)). With that said, if you're looking for storage-based content, there is some more of that coming next week! And we're also starting to work with Newegg to put together Tom's Hardware-inspired hardware bundles. More on that in the next System Builder Marathon!

I'll share my vision here for you to comment on, Sub. I want to see Tom's Hardware continue covering the latest and greatest hardware--we won't skip a beat when it comes to processors, graphics cards, storage, motherboards, and the new technologies driving these products. This will continue. I'll keep publishing something new every day. But I also want to add and expand. You've seen some of this already. Adam is working on Linux-based coverage. Paul's Balanced PC series. William working on beamforming and other interesting networking technologies (he recently had to throw in the towel on an RF interference piece because the data just wasn't conclusive enough for a Tom's Hardware story). I'm working on folding in more workstation and server coverage. The list goes on and on. But, in essence, we also want to give the audience new content types they haven't seen before.

Hope that addresses your concerns somewhat, Sub. You know how to reach me by email if you really want to start a conversation. ;-)

Best regards,
Chris Angelini

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to the storage content next week :D  as well as the other stuff you mention. I really didn't start this poll as an attempt to bash but rather to provide my viewpoint of what I'd like to see and to see who out there has similar views. I know good and well that articles that might bore me will be interesting to others (e.g. how-to articles ) The results so far are about as I expected and I hope that the results are useful to you and your staff. I'm not even surprised that there were some that took offense to my obvious bias (nor am I surprised that their profiles indicate they're newcomers) One thing that is surprising to me is how much interest there is in graphics cards. Yes, I like them too and like to see how big of a step up I might get if I upgrade, I just don't have the money to upgrade very often so after a while I'd just prefer to look at other components. My own opinion: Too much graphic card coverage lately (though it probably cuz fermi is still relatively new)

As mentioned, I know that resources are limited. I'd love to see some more old stuff in the comparisons though. Even if its old data rather than fresh runs.

Take care,
sub
12 August 2010 22:49:51

As an additional note to what Chris said, we've also got a spot here where you can not only propose new content, but have it put up to a vote. Just click the red "Feedback" button on the right side to go to our Uservoice and add your idea to the mix.
13 August 2010 05:16:15

jpishgar said:
As an additional note to what Chris said, we've also got a spot here where you can not only propose new content, but have it put up to a vote. Just click the red "Feedback" button on the right side to go to our Uservoice and add your idea to the mix.

Cool! I did not know about that. Thanks j
13 August 2010 06:32:12

Indeed, there has been more action in graphics lately, leading to more coverage there. We'll have some entry-level stuff coming next week as well though. It's all about cycles, though :) 
16 August 2010 22:07:35

cangelini said:
It's all about cycles, though :) 

What's that? You're going to do more stuff about motorcycles, fantastic! [:mousemonkey:3]
16 August 2010 22:10:49

I think he meant Unicycles. :p 
16 August 2010 22:14:17

aford10 said:
I think he meant Unicycles. :p 

I've ended up with one of those after a small encounter with a mountain at about 80mph. [:mousemonkey]
16 August 2010 22:36:10

How'd the mountain do in that deal?
16 August 2010 22:40:20

aford10 said:
How'd the mountain do in that deal?

It acted as though nothing had happened! :lol:  My CB900F would have said otherwise though, if it had not been killed by the incident that is. :( 
16 August 2010 22:43:05

Ouch....least you made out better than the bike.
16 August 2010 22:54:49

aford10 said:
Ouch....least you made out better than the bike.

Yeah, I was flicked off on the bikes first somersault and just skidded along on my butt for a few yards before standing up and realising that not only had I come to a complete halt but I wasn't broken at all and in that split second I also realised that I was facing the direction I had originally been heading in but I couldn't see the bike and as I ducked the back wheel just kissed off the top of my crash helmet before the bike slammed into the ground about twenty feet in front of me.
21 August 2010 10:42:51

Quote:
There is so much data, and we're somewhat hamstrung by the development resources in France.

Damn the French, first they mess up the website/forum layout and now they mess this up?!?!?!? Please drop the French. After all.... they never won a war.... :p  (Google reference...)
23 August 2010 01:13:24

I was here to request Mini-ITX roundup.
It's been on my mind to build a powerful mini-itx.

According to my research, the mini-itx market is still too small and not many big names have mini-itx in their mobo lineup.

I would like to know how they step up to their older brothers, the ATX mobos.
Overclocking comparison to other boards and to the boards themselves is an important aspect that must be included in the review.

When including the thermal results, please don't forget the chipset temperature.

and thanx a lot of the great reviews which just keep comin'... they don't stop... ^_^