Closed

Custom Shortcut Keys - List / Remove

Is there a way to list all the Custom Shortcut Keys that are currently
in use? I want to add a Custom Shortcut Key to an app but it appears
to be already in use. The key combo I'm trying to assign is
CTL-ALT-C. Pressing this combo doesn't appear to do anything, so I
was wonderring if there's a place in the registry where these
shortcuts are stored or something like that?

-Scott
4 answers Last reply
More about custom shortcut keys list remove

    It's not stored in the registry. It's calculated at logon and kept in memory.

    Create a text file and paste lines in

    on error resume next
    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
    set lnk = WshShell.CreateShortcut(A)
    If lnk.hotkey <> "" then
    msgbox A & vbcrlf & lnk.hotkey
    End If

    Rename it to findhotkey.vbs

    Explorer looks in 4 places for hotkeys, these are read on startup. The hotkey is stored in the shortcut. Only hotkeys on shortcuts in the four locations are live.

    Type in a command prompt

    cd %UserProfile%\desktop
    for %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    cd %AllUsersProfile%\desktop
    for %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    cd %UserProfile%\Start Menu
    for /r %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for /r %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for /r %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    cd %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu
    for /r %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for /r %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    for /r %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"

    Each shortcut, that has a hotkey, will pop up a dialog with the name of the shortcut and it's hotkey.

    You may have path problems. To make it work put in c:\ and change

    for %A in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%1"

    as all these directory changes may make it difficult for the script to be found (but shorten the amount of typing for the start menu FORs).

    Ctrl + C Copies the text of a message box to the clipboard.

    It is not reccommended that Ctrl + Alt be used with Hotkeys. Ctrl + left hand side Alt = Right hand side Alt (marked Alt Gr on keyboards for international use - keyboards only differ with what is painted on the keys) and enters international characters if using the US International keyboard (a driver that knows what is painted on the keys so you get the right character).

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Scott" <scotthughes12@msn.com> wrote in message news:6e333cb7.0410280856.2f87fa1b@posting.google.com...
    > Is there a way to list all the Custom Shortcut Keys that are currently
    > in use? I want to add a Custom Shortcut Key to an app but it appears
    > to be already in use. The key combo I'm trying to assign is
    > CTL-ALT-C. Pressing this combo doesn't appear to do anything, so I
    > was wonderring if there's a place in the registry where these
    > shortcuts are stored or something like that?
    >
    > -Scott

    Thanks David,

    One followup question about using CTL+ALT: It sounds like you are
    saying that CTL+ALT(left) is the same as pressing ALT(right)? This
    doesn't make sense and doesn't seem to be the case in practice. Would
    you mind clarifying?

    -Scott

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<#BYtsMRvEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > It's not stored in the registry. It's calculated at logon and kept in
    > memory.
    >
    > Create a text file and paste lines in
    >
    > on error resume next
    > set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    > Set Ag=Wscript.Arguments
    > set lnk = WshShell.CreateShortcut(A)
    > If lnk.hotkey <> "" then
    > msgbox A & vbcrlf & lnk.hotkey
    > End If
    >
    > Rename it to findhotkey.vbs
    >
    > Explorer looks in 4 places for hotkeys, these are read on startup. The
    > hotkey is stored in the shortcut. Only hotkeys on shortcuts in the four
    > locations are live.
    >
    > Type in a command prompt
    >
    > cd %UserProfile%\desktop
    > for %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > cd %AllUsersProfile%\desktop
    > for %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > cd %UserProfile%\Start Menu
    > for /r %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for /r %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for /r %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > cd %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu
    > for /r %A in (*.lnk) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for /r %A in (*.pif) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    > for /r %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    >
    > Each shortcut, that has a hotkey, will pop up a dialog with the name of
    > the shortcut and it's hotkey.
    >
    > You may have path problems. To make it work put in c:\ and change
    >
    > for %A in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%1"
    >
    > as all these directory changes may make it difficult for the script to
    > be found (but shorten the amount of typing for the start menu FORs).
    >
    > Ctrl + C Copies the text of a message box to the clipboard.
    >
    > It is not reccommended that Ctrl + Alt be used with Hotkeys. Ctrl + left
    > hand side Alt = Right hand side Alt (marked Alt Gr on keyboards for
    > international use - keyboards only differ with what is painted on the
    > keys) and enters international characters if using the US International
    > keyboard (a driver that knows what is painted on the keys so you get the
    > right character).
    >

    > --
    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Scott" <scotthughes12@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a way to list all the Custom Shortcut Keys that are currently
    > > in use? I want to add a Custom Shortcut Key to an app but it appears
    > > to be already in use. The key combo I'm trying to assign is
    > > CTL-ALT-C. Pressing this combo doesn't appear to do anything, so I
    > > was wonderring if there's a place in the registry where these
    > > shortcuts are stored or something like that?
    > >
    > > -Scott
  3. I did an uninstall of Office2003, where I had some hotkeys assigned to open the various Office apps. I then installed Office2010, and found that I could not reassign the hotkeys to the apps, they were "taken".

    I created a batch file from the suggestion, using
    cd %UserProfile%\desktop
    for %%a in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for %%a in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for %%a in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    cd %AllUsersProfile%\desktop
    for %%a in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for %%a in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for %%a in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    cd %UserProfile%\Start Menu
    for /r %%a in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for /r %%a in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for /r %%a in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    cd %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu
    for /r %%a in (*.lnk) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for /r %%a in (*.pif) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for /r %%a in (*.url) do c:\findhotkey.vbs "%%a"
    for /r %A in (*.url) do findhotkey.vbs "%1"

    This ran successfully (changed %1 to %a, and added another % for batch file), but did not find a single shortcut, even for the apps whose shortcut still work.
    This is XPSP3.
  4. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Microsoft Windows XP