DNS on NT4 but what happens after upgrade

I am planning to upgrade my network from NT4 to Windows 2003. Here are the
steps I plan to take.

Upgrade my PDC to Windows 2003
Upgrade the old PDC to AD.
Bring in a new server with W2K3 and install AD, make it a second DC.
Move over the FSMO and the GC over to the new server.
Decommission the old server (originally NT4 PDC).

Are they any know issue with AD running with my BDC (NT4).
Also I have a BDC ( NT4) running WINS/DHCP and DNS. I'm not worried about
the WINS or DHCP, but rather the DNS. As you know DNS is require by AD how
will the Server act if there 2 DNS also what if I upgrade that Server running
DHCP/WINS/DNS to Windows 2003. any help will be appreciated. Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade

    "WooYing" <WooYing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am planning to upgrade my network from NT4 to Windows 2003. Here are
    the
    > steps I plan to take.
    >
    > Upgrade my PDC to Windows 2003
    > Upgrade the old PDC to AD.
    > Bring in a new server with W2K3 and install AD, make it a second DC.

    That would be 3 in total. (PDC, old PDC, new server)

    > Move over the FSMO and the GC over to the new server.
    > Decommission the old server (originally NT4 PDC).
    >
    > Are they any know issue with AD running with my BDC (NT4).

    It doesn't run that way. Running AD* is practically synonymous
    with being a (Win2000+) DC.

    [*Ignoring ADAM, non-domain-AD, it is synomynous]

    The NT BDCs can continued to run but they will NOT
    have AD, just a copy of the SAM subset update to them
    from the PDC-Emulator.

    > Also I have a BDC ( NT4) running WINS/DHCP and DNS. I'm not worried about
    > the WINS or DHCP, but rather the DNS.

    The DNS cannot remain as PRIMARY for the AD zone/domain
    if it runs on NT. NT can be a Secondary if the service pack
    level is up to date.

    > As you know DNS is require by AD how
    > will the Server act if there 2 DNS

    Fine as long as there is one Primary running Win2000
    or better and the others are secondary.

    Terrible if there are two primaries, or even one, if the
    NT 4 is doing that.

    > also what if I upgrade that Server running
    > DHCP/WINS/DNS to Windows 2003. any help will be appreciated. Thanks

    If you need DHCP or WINS now, you will need them
    AFTER the upgrade. They will both run fine on Win2003.

    --
    Herb Martin

Windows Server 2003 DNS Servers Windows