deleting partitions and upgrading from 98se to XP

I just wanted to know if it is possible and how to combine the 2 GB
partitions into one big C: on a Windows 98se computer without losing any
data. You see, the computer came with Win95 and didn't support partitions
larger than 2GB, so when I upgraded to Win98se, the partitions were still
there. Also, If anyone can tell me if it is possible to upgrade your system
from Win98se to XP and what the implications of doing so are, it would be
great. Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about deleting partitions upgrading 98se

    How much used space is there on each of those partitions, and how much
    free space? (2 GB is too approximate a figure.)

    I seriously doubt that machine will support Windows XP. Check here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Guida" <Guida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just wanted to know if it is possible and how to combine the 2 GB
    > partitions into one big C: on a Windows 98se computer without losing
    any
    > data. You see, the computer came with Win95 and didn't support
    partitions
    > larger than 2GB, so when I upgraded to Win98se, the partitions were
    still
    > there. Also, If anyone can tell me if it is possible to upgrade your
    system
    > from Win98se to XP and what the implications of doing so are, it would
    be
    > great. Thanks.

    "Guida" <Guida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I just wanted to know if it is possible and how to combine the 2 GB
    > partitions into one big C: on a Windows 98se computer without losing any
    > data. You see, the computer came with Win95 and didn't support partitions
    > larger than 2GB, so when I upgraded to Win98se, the partitions were still
    > there. Also, If anyone can tell me if it is possible to upgrade your
    system
    > from Win98se to XP and what the implications of doing so are, it would be
    > great. Thanks.

    The MS parition utility FDISK wipes disk contents
    during use. Commercial Partition Magic might do
    what you want -- but it might be cheaper to add a
    second hard drive, make it your new C: if faster,
    and later copy everything from the old drive to the
    new C: and repartition the old drive.

    Upgrading the OS depends on what you want to
    do that Win98SE will not let you do. The main
    merit of XP is supposed to be the reliability of the
    NTFS partition system (different from Win98's FAT).

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    I suggest buying a new computer and keeping 98SE on your current system. If
    my ideas prevail then 98SE may become quite a valuable operating system to
    have in the future.

    "Guida" wrote:

    > I just wanted to know if it is possible and how to combine the 2 GB
    > partitions into one big C: on a Windows 98se computer without losing any
    > data. You see, the computer came with Win95 and didn't support partitions
    > larger than 2GB, so when I upgraded to Win98se, the partitions were still
    > there. Also, If anyone can tell me if it is possible to upgrade your system
    > from Win98se to XP and what the implications of doing so are, it would be
    > great. Thanks.

    OK, great! Thanks for the really prompt help everyone! Just one last
    question: is NTFS really that much better than FAT? Does it give you more
    space? Is it faster? Thanks.

    Space and speed aren't the reason NTFS is "better". Reliability is the
    reason. The file system is simply more resilient, less likely to get
    scrambled, something for which FAT file systems are rather infamous.

    FWIW, I disagree that the NTFS file system is the "main merit" of
    Windows XP. It's got a ton of other features, like memory management, to
    which any Win9x system can't even begin to compare. And one of the
    reasons it is so large compared to Windows 98 or ME is that it has a
    *lot* of built in redundancy.

    --

    > "Guida" wrote:
    >
    > > I just wanted to know if it is possible and how to combine the 2 GB
    > > partitions into one big C: on a Windows 98se computer without losing
    any
    > > data. You see, the computer came with Win95 and didn't support
    partitions
    > > larger than 2GB, so when I upgraded to Win98se, the partitions were
    still
    > > there. Also, If anyone can tell me if it is possible to upgrade
    your system
    > > from Win98se to XP and what the implications of doing so are, it
    would be
    > > great. Thanks.
    >
    > OK, great! Thanks for the really prompt help everyone! Just one last
    > question: is NTFS really that much better than FAT? Does it give you
    more
    > space? Is it faster? Thanks.

    Don't even think about XP PRO. or HOME until you understand that your machine
    and associated network will be targetted -- mine now has a Mini 2.5 -- threat
    level 4.5 of 5 Commercial Keylogger in XP PRO. -- on D: drive and 98SE is not
    affected by this problem but the stupid hackers have again figured out how to
    bypass my interested security settings in my LinkSys Wired BEFSX41 router
    hooked up via Ethernet Cables and have so far been stopped by my ZA PRO.
    firewall -- heck I am getting desperate Gary S. Terhune, Bill Blanton, PCR
    and Hugh Candlin -- how can I buy the military approved active firewall that
    shuts down people trying to hack my machine(s) and associated network(s)
    <???> Thanks in advance for all your help -- BTW, no one answered my
    commercial keylogger post in XP newsgroup(s) and so I turn here as a last
    resort and am one lone little voice crying out for desperate help in the
    wilderness and land of shadow of darkness, death and despair (DDD) :<

    "Guida" <Guida@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    :
    :
    : "Guida" wrote:
    :
    : > I just wanted to know if it is possible and how to combine the 2 GB
    : > partitions into one big C: on a Windows 98se computer without losing any
    : > data. You see, the computer came with Win95 and didn't support
    partitions
    : > larger than 2GB, so when I upgraded to Win98se, the partitions were still
    : > there. Also, If anyone can tell me if it is possible to upgrade your
    system
    : > from Win98se to XP and what the implications of doing so are, it would be
    : > great. Thanks.
    :
    : OK, great! Thanks for the really prompt help everyone! Just one last
    : question: is NTFS really that much better than FAT? Does it give you more
    : space? Is it faster? Thanks.

Computers Windows XP Windows