Upgrading from Windows 98SE

If I upgrade to Windows ME from W98 with IE 6, will Win Me affect IE6
adversely?

Thanks!

Alias
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrading windows 98se

    Yes - my advice would be to uninstall IE6 from Add/Remove before the
    upgrade, then reinstall it afterwards, as part of the update routine

    The first patch you need to install after the upgrade is KB290700 - it may
    be a good idea to download it before the upgrade, and apply it before
    connecting to Windows Update.....

    Here's my standard 'spiel' on that patch......
    It's possible that you haven't installed the System Restore Patch - without
    which any current restore points are just space fillers.
    To check this, look for the file C:\Windows\System\SMGR.DLL - r-click on the
    file, and select Properties.
    What's the version number? - if it's v4.90.0.3003 then you have installed
    the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
    if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.

    To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and download
    the patch for offline install
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
    Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same time,
    clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow), and
    creating a single new one.
    You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
    adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard
    Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
    purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as Office.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    > If I upgrade to Windows ME from W98 with IE 6, will Win Me affect IE6
    > adversely?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Alias

    Can't use the add/remove feature. One of the reasons for upgrading.

    Alias

    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote

    > Yes - my advice would be to uninstall IE6 from Add/Remove before the
    > upgrade, then reinstall it afterwards, as part of the update routine
    >
    > The first patch you need to install after the upgrade is KB290700 - it may
    > be a good idea to download it before the upgrade, and apply it before
    > connecting to Windows Update.....
    >
    > Here's my standard 'spiel' on that patch......
    > It's possible that you haven't installed the System Restore Patch -
    > without which any current restore points are just space fillers.
    > To check this, look for the file C:\Windows\System\SMGR.DLL - r-click on
    > the file, and select Properties.
    > What's the version number? - if it's v4.90.0.3003 then you have installed
    > the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
    > if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
    >
    > To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
    > download the patch for offline install
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
    > Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
    > time, clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked,
    > anyhow), and creating a single new one.
    > You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
    > adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard
    > Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
    > purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as
    > Office.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> If I upgrade to Windows ME from W98 with IE 6, will Win Me affect IE6
    >> adversely?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Alias

    Upgrading a borked OS is only going to make things worse!!!
    solve the problems, then upgrade - or do a clean install.

    --

    > Can't use the add/remove feature. One of the reasons for upgrading.
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote
    >
    >> Yes - my advice would be to uninstall IE6 from Add/Remove before the
    >> upgrade, then reinstall it afterwards, as part of the update routine
    >>
    >> The first patch you need to install after the upgrade is KB290700 - it
    >> may be a good idea to download it before the upgrade, and apply it before
    >> connecting to Windows Update.....
    >>
    >> Here's my standard 'spiel' on that patch......
    >> It's possible that you haven't installed the System Restore Patch -
    >> without which any current restore points are just space fillers.
    >> To check this, look for the file C:\Windows\System\SMGR.DLL - r-click on
    >> the file, and select Properties.
    >> What's the version number? - if it's v4.90.0.3003 then you have installed
    >> the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
    >> if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
    >>
    >> To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
    >> download the patch for offline install
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
    >> Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
    >> time, clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked,
    >> anyhow), and creating a single new one.
    >> You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
    >> adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard
    >> Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
    >> purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as
    >> Office.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >>> If I upgrade to Windows ME from W98 with IE 6, will Win Me affect IE6
    >>> adversely?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Alias

    Can't do a clean install. Motherboard is so old, no drivers. It's a pent I,
    233 MXX. 1900+ viruses on it ... client has programs on it he can't replace
    and that he needs for work so a clean install is out. Why the idiot put
    eMule on that machine is beyond me ... got all the crud off but the crud
    removed some windows files that make it so one can't right click or use the
    control panel. Hence, the idea of using Win Me which may have the MB drivers
    and the needed files to make it work.

    Alias

    > Upgrading a borked OS is only going to make things worse!!!
    > solve the problems, then upgrade - or do a clean install.
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> Can't use the add/remove feature. One of the reasons for upgrading.
    >>
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote
    >>
    >>> Yes - my advice would be to uninstall IE6 from Add/Remove before the
    >>> upgrade, then reinstall it afterwards, as part of the update routine
    >>>
    >>> The first patch you need to install after the upgrade is KB290700 - it
    >>> may be a good idea to download it before the upgrade, and apply it
    >>> before connecting to Windows Update.....
    >>>
    >>> Here's my standard 'spiel' on that patch......
    >>> It's possible that you haven't installed the System Restore Patch -
    >>> without which any current restore points are just space fillers.
    >>> To check this, look for the file C:\Windows\System\SMGR.DLL - r-click on
    >>> the file, and select Properties.
    >>> What's the version number? - if it's v4.90.0.3003 then you have
    >>> installed the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
    >>> if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
    >>>
    >>> To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
    >>> download the patch for offline install
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
    >>> Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
    >>> time, clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked,
    >>> anyhow), and creating a single new one.
    >>> You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
    >>> adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System |
    >>> Hard Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
    >>> purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as
    >>> Office.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>>
    >>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>>
    >>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    >>> NG's
    >>>
    >>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

    You'd be better off doing a reinstall of Win 98SE over-the-top!!
    (that seems to have less problems)

    However - you should be able to remove IE6 either way, using

    > Can't do a clean install. Motherboard is so old, no drivers. It's a pent
    > I, 233 MXX. 1900+ viruses on it ... client has programs on it he can't
    > replace and that he needs for work so a clean install is out. Why the
    > idiot put eMule on that machine is beyond me ... got all the crud off but
    > the crud removed some windows files that make it so one can't right click
    > or use the control panel. Hence, the idea of using Win Me which may have
    > the MB drivers and the needed files to make it work.
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Upgrading a borked OS is only going to make things worse!!!
    >> solve the problems, then upgrade - or do a clean install.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >>> Can't use the add/remove feature. One of the reasons for upgrading.
    >>>
    >>> Alias
    >>>
    >>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote

    Thanks, that's what we'll do then.

    Alias

    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote
    > You'd be better off doing a reinstall of Win 98SE over-the-top!!
    > (that seems to have less problems)
    >
    > However - you should be able to remove IE6 either way, using
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    > "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >> Can't do a clean install. Motherboard is so old, no drivers. It's a pent
    >> I, 233 MXX. 1900+ viruses on it ... client has programs on it he can't
    >> replace and that he needs for work so a clean install is out. Why the
    >> idiot put eMule on that machine is beyond me ... got all the crud off but
    >> the crud removed some windows files that make it so one can't right click
    >> or use the control panel. Hence, the idea of using Win Me which may have
    >> the MB drivers and the needed files to make it work.
    >>
    >> Alias
    >>
    >> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >>> Upgrading a borked OS is only going to make things worse!!!
    >>> solve the problems, then upgrade - or do a clean install.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>>
    >>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>>
    >>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    >>> NG's
    >>>
    >>> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

    Good Luck!!

    --

    > Thanks, that's what we'll do then.
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote
    >> You'd be better off doing a reinstall of Win 98SE over-the-top!!
    >> (that seems to have less problems)
    >>
    >> However - you should be able to remove IE6 either way, using
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293907/EN-US/
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Alias" <aka@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message
    >>> Can't do a clean install. Motherboard is so old, no drivers. It's a pent
    >>> I, 233 MXX. 1900+ viruses on it ... client has programs on it he can't
    >>> replace and that he needs for work so a clean install is out. Why the
    >>> idiot put eMule on that machine is beyond me ... got all the crud off
    >>> but the crud removed some windows files that make it so one can't right
    >>> click or use the control panel. Hence, the idea of using Win Me which
    >>> may have the MB drivers and the needed files to make it work.
    >>>
    >>> Alias
    >>>
    >>> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows 98SE Windows Me Windows