Windows XP does not recognise 2nd hard drive

I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a fairly
old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective of the
exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The primary hard
drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS Setup
recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but Windows
does not! Where to now?
Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about windows recognise hard drive

    Have you tried going into Disk Management and seeing if it's there? If it
    is, right click and assign a drive letter.

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a
    >fairly old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective
    >of the exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The
    >primary hard drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS
    >Setup recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but
    >Windows does not! Where to now?
    > Thanks

    Hi: i am having the same problem. i'm using a new drive thats been
    formatted via a mac for both windows and mac. if i go to disk management, it
    wants me to initialize the disk. i have all my musi on this drive and dont
    want to screw it up. windows help doesnt tell me what 'initialize' will
    really do. will it affect the data on the drive? thanks

    "Randy" wrote:

    > Have you tried going into Disk Management and seeing if it's there? If it
    > is, right click and assign a drive letter.
    >
    > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > >I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a
    > >fairly old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective
    > >of the exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The
    > >primary hard drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS
    > >Setup recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but
    > >Windows does not! Where to now?
    > > Thanks

    Additional information:
    The slave hard drive soes not show up in Devices. At boot up I can start
    the computer (in Safe Mode) using the slave hard drive as it has a copy of
    Windows 95 on it.

    "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >I am using Win XP and recently fitted a second hard drive. This was a
    >fairly old Seagate out of an old Win95 computer (that died). The objective
    >of the exercise was to be able to access old important data files. The
    >primary hard drive is fitted as a Master and the secondary as a Slave. BIOS
    >Setup recognises the slave hard drive (cylinders, heads, size etc) but
    >Windows does not! Where to now?
    > Thanks

    Thanks Randy BUT it does not show up in Disk Management :-(

    > Thanks Randy BUT it does not show up in Disk Management :-(

    Sorry Geoff but you got me there. I've installed dozens of slave drives in
    various pc's with 98, ME and XP and have yet to have one not show up when I
    go to Windows Explorer. If your drive shows up in the bios XP should see
    it, in fact what usually happens is a bubble will show up in the lower right
    hand corner saying XP is installing the new hardware. The typical problems
    on this newsgroups are drives that show up in the bios and in device manager
    but because XP didn't assign a drive letter they aren't seen and going into
    disk management and assigning the drive letter usually fixes the problem. I
    have never run into that problem.
    If you using the master slave jumpering rather than cable select, make sure
    you have no jumpers installed when used as a slave.

    oh, damn.... :-(

    I am using master slave jumpering and no jumper is being used on the slave
    drive (in accordance with the diagrams on the drive).

    Perhaps I shud put the "offending" drive into another, more up to date
    machine and see if that works.

    > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Randy BUT it does not show up in Disk Management :-(
    >
    > Sorry Geoff but you got me there. I've installed dozens of slave drives
    > in various pc's with 98, ME and XP and have yet to have one not show up
    > when I go to Windows Explorer. If your drive shows up in the bios XP
    > should see it, in fact what usually happens is a bubble will show up in
    > the lower right hand corner saying XP is installing the new hardware. The
    > typical problems on this newsgroups are drives that show up in the bios
    > and in device manager but because XP didn't assign a drive letter they
    > aren't seen and going into disk management and assigning the drive letter
    > usually fixes the problem. I have never run into that problem.
    > If you using the master slave jumpering rather than cable select, make
    > sure you have no jumpers installed when used as a slave.

    Good news is that I placed the "offending" hard drive in another more up to
    date (hardware) machine and Win XP recognised it and I was able to save the
    required data for the client.
    Thanks for everyones help.

    > Good news is that I placed the "offending" hard drive in another more up
    > to date (hardware) machine and Win XP recognised it and I was able to save
    > the required data for the client.
    > Thanks for everyones help.

    Now you got my curiosity, what is so different hardware wise between the 2
    machines?

    The "old" machine dates back probably about 6 years, Asus P3V133 m/b with
    Award Medallion BIOS V6 (1999?), 32MB Ram, running Win95.

    My machine is only about 30 mths old.

    > "Geoff" <geoffb41@nospamozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    >> Good news is that I placed the "offending" hard drive in another more up
    >> to date (hardware) machine and Win XP recognised it and I was able to
    >> save the required data for the client.
    >> Thanks for everyones help.
    >
    > Now you got my curiosity, what is so different hardware wise between the 2
    > machines?

Hard Drives Windows XP