adaptec 1200A Raid Controller Problems

Hi everyone:

I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
Windows xp-pro SP2.
The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not boot
up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this problem
on 9 PC's.
Anyone out there with similar problems?
Thanx in advance,
Ernst
4 answers Last reply
More about adaptec 1200a raid controller problems

    Adaptec only posted an issue about SP2 for xp. My problem occured after
    installing xp with SP2. I knew about the Highpoint driver issue and
    SP2. No mentioning of problems with tat specific MOBO.

    DL wrote:
    > What did Adaptec tec say, I know they have had issues with certain mobo's /
    > bios
    >
    > "tiger" <ematheus@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone:
    > >
    > > I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
    > > Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
    > > Windows xp-pro SP2.
    > > The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
    > > The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not boot
    > > up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
    > > have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
    > > while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this problem
    > > on 9 PC's.
    > > Anyone out there with similar problems?
    > > Thanx in advance,
    > > Ernst

    What did Adaptec tec say, I know they have had issues with certain mobo's /
    bios

    "tiger" <ematheus@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone:
    >
    > I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
    > Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
    > Windows xp-pro SP2.
    > The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
    > The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not boot
    > up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
    > have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
    > while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this problem
    > on 9 PC's.
    > Anyone out there with similar problems?
    > Thanx in advance,
    > Ernst

    I had many long conversations with Adaptec tec re, a 2410SA
    They stated that there had been problems with some cards and various
    mobos/bios, they went on to say they didnt have an exhaustive list of all
    the various hw that gave problems.
    They could only suggest Firmware upgrade, and a completely clean install of
    the o/s & drivers to see if that worked.
    I might get round to that when I have the time/energy and inclination.

    > Adaptec only posted an issue about SP2 for xp. My problem occured after
    > installing xp with SP2. I knew about the Highpoint driver issue and
    > SP2. No mentioning of problems with tat specific MOBO.
    >

    > DL wrote:
    > > What did Adaptec tec say, I know they have had issues with certain
    mobo's /
    > > bios
    > >
    > > "tiger" <ematheus@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi everyone:
    > > >
    > > > I have a problem with several PC's using an Adaptec 1200A Raid
    > > > Controller. The PC's are Intel MB 865, Kingston RAM, Seagate HDDs and
    > > > Windows xp-pro SP2.
    > > > The card installes just fine, Windows installs and I set up a mirror.
    > > > The systems work fine for a while. All of the sudden they will not
    boot
    > > > up and there is no windows installation recognized on either HDD. I
    > > > have to reinstall the card, windows, drivers and all is well - for a
    > > > while. It works between 2 month and 6 month. I encountered this
    problem
    > > > on 9 PC's.
    > > > Anyone out there with similar problems?
    > > > Thanx in advance,
    > > > Ernst

    Thank you DL!! I knew there was something wrong. I wiped all t he PC's
    and started all over only to run into the same proble after a while. I
    think for now I will remove the cards and use the onboard IDE channel.
    Hope you find some time/energy and inclination to take a few days for
    yourself!!!

    :-) Ernst

NAS / RAID Controller Adaptec Windows XP