script to edit hosts file in xp?

Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this in, but here goes...

I use two IP addresses (both through wired and wireless connections) on my
laptop - one for work, one for home. Does anyone know how to write a simple
script that will detect the IP address and then choose which of two "hosts"
files to use? When at home, I want mydomain.com to be associated with
192.168.X.Y, but at work I don't want that association.

Currently, I have to go in manually each time and rename hosts to hosts.tmp
when at work, and then rename it back to hosts when I get home. I'd like
this to be done automatically.
2 answers Last reply
More about script edit hosts file

    hi

    ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts hosts.tmp

    save the line above as a bat file, ie. Host_to_tmp.bat

    ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.tmp hosts

    save this line as another bat file, ie Hosts_From_tmp.bat

    then just run which ever you require.
    I am making some assumptions like your hosts file is located in
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc if it is not just substitute the part.

    You could go much fancier and use variables to chose which way you wanted to
    go etc, but I only had about 2 mins to spare.

    HTH
    Rob

    "MZ" <zarellam@removetwcny.rr.comspam> wrote in message
    vA@giganews.com...
    > Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this in, but here goes...
    >
    > I use two IP addresses (both through wired and wireless connections) on my
    > laptop - one for work, one for home. Does anyone know how to write a
    > simple
    > script that will detect the IP address and then choose which of two
    > "hosts"
    > files to use? When at home, I want mydomain.com to be associated with
    > 192.168.X.Y, but at work I don't want that association.
    >
    > Currently, I have to go in manually each time and rename hosts to
    > hosts.tmp
    > when at work, and then rename it back to hosts when I get home. I'd like
    > this to be done automatically.

    Do you know of a command which allows you to retrieve the IP address? If I
    had that information in the batch file, I may be able to let it chose which
    way to go automatically.

    "robbity" <me@home.com> wrote in message news:41dd3219@quokka.wn.com.au...
    > hi
    >
    > ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts hosts.tmp
    >
    > save the line above as a bat file, ie. Host_to_tmp.bat
    >
    > ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.tmp hosts
    >
    > save this line as another bat file, ie Hosts_From_tmp.bat
    >
    > then just run which ever you require.
    > I am making some assumptions like your hosts file is located in
    > c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc if it is not just substitute the part.
    >
    > You could go much fancier and use variables to chose which way you wanted
    > go etc, but I only had about 2 mins to spare.
    >
    > HTH
    > Rob
    >

    > "MZ" <zarellam@removetwcny.rr.comspam> wrote in message
    > vA@giganews.com...
    > > Not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this in, but here goes...
    > >
    > > I use two IP addresses (both through wired and wireless connections) on
    my
    > > laptop - one for work, one for home. Does anyone know how to write a
    > > simple
    > > script that will detect the IP address and then choose which of two
    > > "hosts"
    > > files to use? When at home, I want mydomain.com to be associated with
    > > 192.168.X.Y, but at work I don't want that association.
    > >
    > > Currently, I have to go in manually each time and rename hosts to
    > > hosts.tmp
    > > when at work, and then rename it back to hosts when I get home. I'd
    like
    > > this to be done automatically.

Windows XP Wireless Networking