Instant crash or illegal sumout from Prime95 - passes memt..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi

My pc has been stable for about 2 years, but now i get several problems a
day. When using normal apps such as Borland Delphi i have been getting
access errors, when running games such as C&C Generals, it will get to
the screen saver crash. This has started happening in the last week. I have
not installed any new hardware, software or changed system settings for
several months. The machine has recently been connected to a HP laserjet
4000 printer and is networked to another pc on a peer to peer.

I have tried a scan disk, and looked at system info, used the DirectX tests,
but nothing appears to be wrong.

I have tested the 2 sticks of 512 memory, but the system passes both
memtest86 and the Microsoft windows memory tests. However, if I run prime95,
it will crash instantaneously on the benchmark tests and produce various
symptoms (hang, do a bit and hang etc, stop after 100 warnings for illegal
sumout) on the torture test.

I have tried using the ASUS mobo Probe utility to watch what happens to the
voltage as prime95 is run:
normal running prime95
12v 12.416 12.416
5v 4.945 4.865
3.3v 3.392 3.424
vcore 1.696 1.712

mobo runs at 28C - cpu at 51C

The system is:
Aopen h600a case
ASUS A7N8X Delux
AMD xp2600+
1 Gb of Crucial memory (2x512Mb pc2700)
120Gb Maxtor SATA drive connected to mobo SATA port

UBER BIOS (ASUS Bios was not working with SATA harddisk reliably, a year ago
the UBER bios was recomended)
settings:
cpu ext freq 166Mhz
cpu freq multiple setting AUTO (12.5x)
memory freq [by spd]
sdram CAS Latency 2.5T
cpu vcore [auto]
ddr ref volt 2.6v
agp vddq volt 1.5v
chip voltage 1.6

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to procede?
Thanks
More about instant crash illegal sumout prime95 passes memt
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Just a few thoughts on what might be the culprit:

    PS suffering an overload (have you added any new components of late,
    like a new fan or drive?)

    Dirt on the mobo (yes, I've seen an IDE interface operate incorrectly
    and corrupt HD data due to excessive dust on the mobo)

    Dirty/clogged HSF causing hi CPU heat

    Clogged case fans causing higher temps

    CPU thermal grease has "flowed" out of the gap between the HS and the
    CPU causing higher temps.

    I see your 5v line drops a bit with prime95 running, sounds like an
    underpowered PS. Have you checked the PS fans to see if they are
    spinning normally? PS fans seem to have the cheapest quality fans at
    times, and when they get sticky, the PS tends to overheat and work
    less efficiently.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "DS" <DS@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    | Hi
    |
    | My pc has been stable for about 2 years, but now i get several
    problems a
    | day. When using normal apps such as Borland Delphi i have been
    getting
    | access errors, when running games such as C&C Generals, it will get
    also seen
    | the screen saver crash. This has started happening in the last week.
    I have
    | not installed any new hardware, software or changed system settings
    for
    | several months. The machine has recently been connected to a HP
    laserjet
    | 4000 printer and is networked to another pc on a peer to peer.
    |
    | I have tried a scan disk, and looked at system info, used the
    DirectX tests,
    | but nothing appears to be wrong.
    |
    | I have tested the 2 sticks of 512 memory, but the system passes both
    | memtest86 and the Microsoft windows memory tests. However, if I run
    prime95,
    | it will crash instantaneously on the benchmark tests and produce
    various
    | symptoms (hang, do a bit and hang etc, stop after 100 warnings for
    illegal
    | sumout) on the torture test.
    |

    | I have tried using the ASUS mobo Probe utility to watch what happens
    to the
    | voltage as prime95 is run:
    | normal running prime95
    | 12v 12.416 12.416
    | 5v 4.945 4.865
    | 3.3v 3.392 3.424
    | vcore 1.696 1.712
    |
    | mobo runs at 28C - cpu at 51C
    |
    | The system is:
    | Aopen h600a case
    | ASUS A7N8X Delux
    | AMD xp2600+
    | 1 Gb of Crucial memory (2x512Mb pc2700)
    | 120Gb Maxtor SATA drive connected to mobo SATA port
    |

    | UBER BIOS (ASUS Bios was not working with SATA harddisk reliably, a
    year ago
    | the UBER bios was recomended)
    | settings:
    | cpu ext freq 166Mhz
    | cpu freq multiple setting AUTO (12.5x)
    | memory freq [by spd]
    | sdram CAS Latency 2.5T
    | cpu vcore [auto]
    | ddr ref volt 2.6v
    | agp vddq volt 1.5v
    | chip voltage 1.6
    |
    | Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to procede?
    | Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Sorry I can't help with this. But just 1 comment - " see your 5v line drops
    a bit with prime95 running, sounds like an underpowered PS."

    I don't think this is right. First, the CPU runs off the 12v line, not the
    5v line and second, you would expect the line to dip a little when running
    P95. 4.945 to 4.865 is nothing to worry about. I have seen the 5v rail on
    one system (mine, regrettably!) drop from 5v down to 4.4v or lower with a
    <ahem> "quality" Enermax <ahem> PSU.

    Chip

    "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > | vcore 1.696 1.712
    > |
    > | mobo runs at 28C - cpu at 51C
    > |
    > | The system is:
    > | Aopen h600a case
    > | ASUS A7N8X Delux
    > | AMD xp2600+
    > | 1 Gb of Crucial memory (2x512Mb pc2700)
    > | 120Gb Maxtor SATA drive connected to mobo SATA port
    > |

    > | UBER BIOS (ASUS Bios was not working with SATA harddisk reliably, a
    > year ago
    > | the UBER bios was recomended)
    > | settings:
    > | cpu ext freq 166Mhz
    > | cpu freq multiple setting AUTO (12.5x)
    > | memory freq [by spd]
    > | sdram CAS Latency 2.5T
    > | cpu vcore [auto]
    > | ddr ref volt 2.6v
    > | agp vddq volt 1.5v
    > | chip voltage 1.6
    > |
    > | Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to procede?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hiya

    I haven't added any new hardware lately, it has been connected to a
    different computer via the twisted net cable, and connected to a second hand
    laserjet 4000. However I have now disconnected them and still get the
    problems.

    There isn't excessive dust in the system, actually its quite clean.

    I have noticed a lot of noise from one of the fans, doesn't do it all the
    time, unlike the inability to run prime95! I have the case off now looking
    to see if I can isolate which fan is making the noise..... when it happens
    :( I hadn't been overly worried about the noise as I had put it down to wear
    in a fan. Although surprised and disappointed as case is Aopen with
    associated psu and case fan and the processor has AMD fan rather than
    cheapest.

    But isn't 51c and acceptable temperature anyway?

    Thanks

> [...]
    > | vcore 1.696 1.712
    > |
    > | mobo runs at 28C - cpu at 51C
    > |
    > | The system is:
    > | Aopen h600a case
    > | ASUS A7N8X Delux
    > | AMD xp2600+
    > | 1 Gb of Crucial memory (2x512Mb pc2700)
    > | 120Gb Maxtor SATA drive connected to mobo SATA port
    > |

    > | UBER BIOS (ASUS Bios was not working with SATA harddisk reliably, a
    > year ago
    > | the UBER bios was recomended)
    > | settings:
    > | cpu ext freq 166Mhz
    > | cpu freq multiple setting AUTO (12.5x)
    > | memory freq [by spd]
    > | sdram CAS Latency 2.5T
    > | cpu vcore [auto]
    > | ddr ref volt 2.6v
    > | agp vddq volt 1.5v
    > | chip voltage 1.6
    > |
    > | Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to procede?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    I believe P4 systems derive power for Vcore off the 12v line, but most
    AMD systems use the 5v rail for CPU Vcore switching regulator circuit
    power. This observation is supported by the lack of the "special"
    4-pin 12v CPU power connector on AMD based mobos. Since there is only
    one 12v wire in the ATX connector and four 5v wires in the ATX power
    connector, the 5v PS rail is more suitable and sensible to deliver hi
    amperage power for the CPU regulator in AMD based systems.

    Just a sec, I'll go measure some resistances on a Biostar M7NCD-PRO
    (nforce2 mobo) sitting on my bench. . . .

    There are 4 power MOSFET switching devices in the voltage regulator
    circuit area, presumably 2-phase regulator circuits, 2 power MOSFETs
    for each regulator circuit. One leg of each of the power MOSFETs is
    connected directly to the 5v rail, as one would expect, the power
    switching device is connected directly to the supply or rail voltage
    in a buck converter circuit (switching supply circuit).

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
    | Sorry I can't help with this. But just 1 comment - " see your 5v
    line drops
    | a bit with prime95 running, sounds like an underpowered PS."
    |
    | I don't think this is right. First, the CPU runs off the 12v line,
    not the
    | 5v line and second, you would expect the line to dip a little when
    running
    | P95. 4.945 to 4.865 is nothing to worry about. I have seen the 5v
    rail on
    | one system (mine, regrettably!) drop from 5v down to 4.4v or lower
    with a
    | <ahem> "quality" Enermax <ahem> PSU.
    |
    | Chip
    |
    | "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    | > Just a few thoughts on what might be the culprit:
    | >
    | > PS suffering an overload (have you added any new components of
    late,
    | > like a new fan or drive?)
    | >
    | > Dirt on the mobo (yes, I've seen an IDE interface operate
    incorrectly
    | > and corrupt HD data due to excessive dust on the mobo)
    | >
    | > Dirty/clogged HSF causing hi CPU heat
    | >
    | > Clogged case fans causing higher temps
    | >
    | > CPU thermal grease has "flowed" out of the gap between the HS and
    the
    | > CPU causing higher temps.
    | >
    | > I see your 5v line drops a bit with prime95 running, sounds like
    an
    | > underpowered PS. Have you checked the PS fans to see if they are
    | > spinning normally? PS fans seem to have the cheapest quality fans
    at
    | > times, and when they get sticky, the PS tends to overheat and work
    | > less efficiently.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Best regards,
    | > Kyle
    | > "DS" <DS@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    | > | Hi
    | > |
    | > | My pc has been stable for about 2 years, but now i get several
    | > problems a
    | > | day. When using normal apps such as Borland Delphi i have been
    | > getting
    | > | access errors, when running games such as C&C Generals, it will
    get
    have
    | > also seen
    | > | the screen saver crash. This has started happening in the last
    week.
    | > I have
    | > | not installed any new hardware, software or changed system
    settings
    | > for
    | > | several months. The machine has recently been connected to a HP
    | > laserjet
    | > | 4000 printer and is networked to another pc on a peer to peer.
    | > |
    | > | I have tried a scan disk, and looked at system info, used the
    | > DirectX tests,
    | > | but nothing appears to be wrong.
    | > |
    | > | I have tested the 2 sticks of 512 memory, but the system passes
    both
    | > | memtest86 and the Microsoft windows memory tests. However, if I
    run
    | > prime95,
    | > | it will crash instantaneously on the benchmark tests and produce
    | > various
    | > | symptoms (hang, do a bit and hang etc, stop after 100 warnings
    for
    | > illegal
    | > | sumout) on the torture test.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | I have tried using the ASUS mobo Probe utility to watch what
    happens
    | > to the
    | > | voltage as prime95 is run:
    | > | normal running prime95
    | > | 12v 12.416 12.416
    | > | 5v 4.945 4.865
    | > | 3.3v 3.392 3.424
    | > | vcore 1.696 1.712
    | > |
    | > | mobo runs at 28C - cpu at 51C
    | > |
    | > | The system is:
    | > | Aopen h600a case
    | > | ASUS A7N8X Delux
    | > | AMD xp2600+
    | > | 1 Gb of Crucial memory (2x512Mb pc2700)
    | > | 120Gb Maxtor SATA drive connected to mobo SATA port
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | UBER BIOS (ASUS Bios was not working with SATA harddisk
    reliably, a
    | > year ago
    | > | the UBER bios was recomended)
    | > | settings:
    | > | cpu ext freq 166Mhz
    | > | cpu freq multiple setting AUTO (12.5x)
    | > | memory freq [by spd]
    | > | sdram CAS Latency 2.5T
    | > | cpu vcore [auto]
    | > | ddr ref volt 2.6v
    | > | agp vddq volt 1.5v
    | > | chip voltage 1.6
    | > |
    | > | Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to procede?
    | > | Thanks
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    As a further to my original post:

    I tried changing the cpu ext freq setting from 166 to 133. Now it runs
    prime95 fine. The voltage levels do the same as before ie next to nothing.
    Now prime95 actually runs, the cpu temp goes up to 58C but seems to run at
    that temp without problems.

    Does this suggest it is the cpu and or mobo at fault rather than the psu?

    Thanks

    "DS" <DS@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > My pc has been stable for about 2 years, but now i get several problems a
    > day. When using normal apps such as Borland Delphi i have been getting
    > access errors, when running games such as C&C Generals, it will get to
    seen
    > the screen saver crash. This has started happening in the last week. I
    have
    > not installed any new hardware, software or changed system settings for
    > several months. The machine has recently been connected to a HP laserjet
    > 4000 printer and is networked to another pc on a peer to peer.
    >
    > I have tried a scan disk, and looked at system info, used the DirectX
    tests,
    > but nothing appears to be wrong.
    >
    > I have tested the 2 sticks of 512 memory, but the system passes both
    > memtest86 and the Microsoft windows memory tests. However, if I run
    prime95,
    > it will crash instantaneously on the benchmark tests and produce various
    > symptoms (hang, do a bit and hang etc, stop after 100 warnings for illegal
    > sumout) on the torture test.
    >

    > I have tried using the ASUS mobo Probe utility to watch what happens to
    the
    > voltage as prime95 is run:
    > normal running prime95
    > 12v 12.416 12.416
    > 5v 4.945 4.865
    > 3.3v 3.392 3.424
    > vcore 1.696 1.712
    >
    > mobo runs at 28C - cpu at 51C
    >
    > The system is:
    > Aopen h600a case
    > ASUS A7N8X Delux
    > AMD xp2600+
    > 1 Gb of Crucial memory (2x512Mb pc2700)
    > 120Gb Maxtor SATA drive connected to mobo SATA port
    >

    > UBER BIOS (ASUS Bios was not working with SATA harddisk reliably, a year
    ago
    > the UBER bios was recomended)
    > settings:
    > cpu ext freq 166Mhz
    > cpu freq multiple setting AUTO (12.5x)
    > memory freq [by spd]
    > sdram CAS Latency 2.5T
    > cpu vcore [auto]
    > ddr ref volt 2.6v
    > agp vddq volt 1.5v
    > chip voltage 1.6
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to procede?
    > Thanks

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <chajni$q0l$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, "DS" <DS@btinternet.com> wrote:

    > As a further to my original post:
    >
    > I tried changing the cpu ext freq setting from 166 to 133. Now it runs
    > prime95 fine. The voltage levels do the same as before ie next to nothing.
    > Now prime95 actually runs, the cpu temp goes up to 58C but seems to run at
    > that temp without problems.
    >
    > Does this suggest it is the cpu and or mobo at fault rather than the psu?
    >
    > Thanks

    As Kylesb suggested, I would examine the CPU heatsink/fan. Check that
    the fan is running freely, no noise coming from it indicating imminent
    bearing failure. Second, remove the heatsink fan from the CPU and do
    a visual check. Look at the bottom of the heatsink for signs of heat
    damage. There could be a burn mark, either on the heatsink or on the
    body of the CPU. It is possible the CPU "cooked" itself.

    The contact between the Athlon and the heatsink/fan is quite sensitive,
    in the sense that, even if a portion of the silicon die is not making
    good thermal contact with the heatsink, a portion of the die can
    get hotter than the rest of it. This puts a great stress on it, and
    can lead to premature failure. That is why, if using thermal grease,
    you should have a regular maintenance plan, to pull the heatsink,
    clean off the old grease, and apply a thin layer of new grease. The
    amount of grease is not enough for a significant amount to squish
    out (you don't want the product to get on the bridges), but has to
    be a bit more than the thinnest layer you can make. The purpose of
    the grease is to fill voids, so a little grease should appear near
    the edge of the die, to ensure the voids did get filled.

    Many heatsinks can be installed rotated 180 degrees from the proper
    position. The contact patch (square area of metal) must align over
    the center of the Athlon die. When you rotate the heatsink 180
    degrees, the whole die doesn't contact metal, and that is another
    way you could damage a processor.

    As for the power supply voltages, the spec for those is +/-5% on
    most power supplies, and your 4.865 is still greater than the
    4.75 minimum. Due to possible measurement error, I would replace
    the supply if the voltage drops to say 4.5 or 4.6 volts.

    If, after re-doing the HSF, you still aren't any better off,
    it is time to swap out the power supply. While the "average"
    voltage measured by the monitor appears OK, it is possible the
    transient response of the PSU is bad, so not all power supply
    problems are apparent until you swap it out.

    HTH,
    Paul

    > "DS" <DS@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > My pc has been stable for about 2 years, but now i get several problems a
    > > day. When using normal apps such as Borland Delphi i have been getting
    > > access errors, when running games such as C&C Generals, it will get to
    > seen
    > > the screen saver crash. This has started happening in the last week. I
    > have
    > > not installed any new hardware, software or changed system settings for
    > > several months. The machine has recently been connected to a HP laserjet
    > > 4000 printer and is networked to another pc on a peer to peer.
    > >
    > > I have tried a scan disk, and looked at system info, used the DirectX
    > tests,
    > > but nothing appears to be wrong.
    > >
    > > I have tested the 2 sticks of 512 memory, but the system passes both
    > > memtest86 and the Microsoft windows memory tests. However, if I run
    > prime95,
    > > it will crash instantaneously on the benchmark tests and produce various
    > > symptoms (hang, do a bit and hang etc, stop after 100 warnings for illegal
    > > sumout) on the torture test.
    > >

    > > I have tried using the ASUS mobo Probe utility to watch what happens to
    > the
    > > voltage as prime95 is run:
    > > normal running prime95
    > > 12v 12.416 12.416
    > > 5v 4.945 4.865
    > > 3.3v 3.392 3.424
    > > vcore 1.696 1.712
    > >
    > > mobo runs at 28C - cpu at 51C
    > >
    > > The system is:
    > > Aopen h600a case
    > > ASUS A7N8X Delux
    > > AMD xp2600+
    > > 1 Gb of Crucial memory (2x512Mb pc2700)
    > > 120Gb Maxtor SATA drive connected to mobo SATA port
    > >

    > > UBER BIOS (ASUS Bios was not working with SATA harddisk reliably, a year
    > ago
    > > the UBER bios was recomended)
    > > settings:
    > > cpu ext freq 166Mhz
    > > cpu freq multiple setting AUTO (12.5x)
    > > memory freq [by spd]
    > > sdram CAS Latency 2.5T
    > > cpu vcore [auto]
    > > ddr ref volt 2.6v
    > > agp vddq volt 1.5v
    > > chip voltage 1.6
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to procede?
    > > Thanks

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:30:36 +0100, DS wrote:

    > Hiya
    >
    > I haven't added any new hardware lately, it has been connected to a
    > different computer via the twisted net cable, and connected to a second hand
    > laserjet 4000. However I have now disconnected them and still get the
    > problems.
    >
    > There isn't excessive dust in the system, actually its quite clean.
    >
    > I have noticed a lot of noise from one of the fans, doesn't do it all the
    > time, unlike the inability to run prime95! I have the case off now looking
    > to see if I can isolate which fan is making the noise..... when it happens
    > :( I hadn't been overly worried about the noise as I had put it down to wear
    > in a fan. Although surprised and disappointed as case is Aopen with
    > associated psu and case fan and the processor has AMD fan rather than
    > cheapest.
    >
    > But isn't 51c and acceptable temperature anyway?
    >
    > Thanks

    Maybe it is time to reinstall OS. It may be a software error.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > I believe P4 systems derive power for Vcore off the 12v line, but most
    > AMD systems use the 5v rail for CPU Vcore switching regulator circuit
    > power. This observation is supported by the lack of the "special"
    > 4-pin 12v CPU power connector on AMD based mobos. Since there is only
    > one 12v wire in the ATX connector and four 5v wires in the ATX power
    > connector, the 5v PS rail is more suitable and sensible to deliver hi
    > amperage power for the CPU regulator in AMD based systems.

    Perfectly sound logic there Kyle. Unfortunately its not correct. AMD
    systems (XP's) have been powered off the 12v rail for some years now.

    The inclusion or otherwise of a 12v P4 connector is merely down to the
    design choice made by the motherboard manufacturer. Some believe its a good
    idea, others think its not essential. But it doesn't change the fact the
    the CPU is still powered off the 12v line.

    Chip

Asus Motherboards