cannot format a network drive -error message

trying to reformat my hard drive and using format.com - i
get the above error message ... any ideas???
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot format network drive error message

    You may not be able to re-format the boot drive (C:) from with-in Windows
    XP. You must use the XP install CD, as per the previous response suggests.

    Y.

    "m" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > trying to reformat my hard drive and using format.com - i
    > get the above error message ... any ideas???

    "m" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > trying to reformat my hard drive and using format.com - i
    > get the above error message ... any ideas???

    Which drive are you trying to format? Drive C:? Trying
    to cut off the branch you're sitting on?

    If you want a clean installation then you must boot
    your machine with your WinXP CD, then select "format"
    when prompted.

Format Error Message Network Drive Windows XP