Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Slow pc

Tags:
  • Photo
Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
28 January 2010 00:25:42

my problem is that my pc runs slow.all the fans are working properly but sometimes the sound they make slows and then comes back to normal. my pc's operative memory is 1Gb and yet it runs so slow, even a simple program such as a photo program slows so much that each photo you rotate needs a minute to do that.i installed a new windows version and it didn't work.i'd say the problem is elsewhere but i don't know what's wrong.by the way, my pc has 2 hard disks, one has 54 Gb and the other 250 Gb...could it be the problem? :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  help please... :( 

More about : slow

29 January 2010 01:23:30

I assume your pc is a Pentium 4 Prescott ( google CPUID and download and run it - it will tell you what cpu you have ).

This is a common "feature" of Packard Bells, HP's, Advents and Medion Machines...

Its the dust that gets caught in the heat sink and it needs to be removed.. This stops airflow which cools the processor.

The best way is to remove the fan and brush out the dust with a brush then use some compressed air to blow out all the remaining dust.

the machine is throttling due to heat.

an extra gig of ram wouldnt go a miss

defrag the hard disk
download ccleaner.exe - google it - clear the rubbish and clean the registry
download mbam-setup.exe and remove all the security rubbish which hinders your machine too..

All these utilities are free to use
16 March 2010 14:40:58

LeaHrainy said:
my problem is that my pc runs slow.all the fans are working properly but sometimes the sound they make slows and then comes back to normal. my pc's operative memory is 1Gb and yet it runs so slow, even a simple program such as a photo program slows so much that each photo you rotate needs a minute to do that.i installed a new windows version and it didn't work.i'd say the problem is elsewhere but i don't know what's wrong.by the way, my pc has 2 hard disks, one has 54 Gb and the other 250 Gb...could it be the problem? :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  help please... :( 

Buy a new one. Preferably an Intel, not AMD. AMD kills the environment.

Hope this helps.

Related resources
16 March 2010 19:26:05

I'll disregard the last post from the fanboy peanut gallery.

Most likely the computer needs a cleaning, a disk cleanup (both disks) and the hdd's need to be defragged.

16 March 2010 20:19:50

Defrag? If you clean install an OS, then there's so little to fragment the HDD, and even if there is a small bit of fragmentation then it won't make the PC overly slow. In fact, a clean install actually will be the only time that PC runs free of all the garbage Windows accumulates from that point onwards.

Call me a peanut fanboy? You seem to be unable to distinguish between fanboy, trolling or someone just taking the p-s out of someone.

Generalization is normally the forte of someone that came or still dwells in similar circumstances.

17 March 2010 19:25:59

Dude your peanut comment is hilarious. AMD kills the environment? Typical fanboy response that has nothing to do with the question and does not help in any way.

I always defrag after a windows install, drivers install, games install, and programs install. You think your file system is perfect after this? LOL
17 March 2010 20:37:48

A.) I'm not your dude.
B.) Look at the levels of possibility that I gave you, and then think again about referring to my comment as being akin to a fanboy. It's a shame the others are closed down, because it actually taught people what sarcasm is.
C.) You seem hell bend on defraging for any software you install. To each his own. But, defraging only yields better access times, but it's so little it's negligible - in fact, defrag only brings some results when you work with a huge hdd that is littered with small to medium files to the point of actually being full. It doesn't take a pc from slow to fast. Your file system is indexed - if it wasn't then you'd be waiting days as the OS gives the HDD hints where to look for data.

The OP's issue is so vague in terms of what is present, that anything that was suggested is shooting in the dark.
18 March 2010 03:33:51

Listen dudette, I didn't see the part about him re-installing Windows, besides he is so vague, how do you know if he even did it right, or to the right hdd. He plainly says he "installed a new version of windows but it didn't work". Does that mean the install didn't work or does that mean it still was slow? Did he even format the hdd and load windows, or did he even load windows on the same hdd or another hdd. What version of windows? Did he go from XP to Vista or 7, well of course it would be slow, his pc requirements may be too weak to even run Vista or 7. How can you even know what he did?

Besides, have you ever load windows from a recovery disk, say from hp? It installs all kinds of crapware, bloatware and spyware. It's not until you get rid of it that it may even be faster. How do you know he didn't do that?

I'm well aware of hdd defragging and what it does.

Why don't you tell me something I don't know like how is AMD killing the environment and how does that contribute to the posted question or to this forum?
19 March 2010 17:27:26

zipzoomflyhigh said:
I'm well aware of hdd defragging and what it does. No you are not. Defrag only works when you have large strings of data that have open "holes" in them due to uninstalling and reinstalling a lot. The strings become fragmented and as such it will help when the fragmentation is quite severe. Even then, indexing from the OS will tell the HDD where to look for what - but seeing that we use mS to do mechanical changing of the HDDrive's head, it doesn't equate to something that is really fast. Access times become better, but does not kill the system when opening a photo or whatever the OP was experiencing.

Why don't you tell me something I don't know like how is AMD killing the environment and how does that contribute to the posted question or to this forum? It doesn't. When someone gives so little info, I will give a crap, sarcastic reply. I am however more concerned with you getting stuck on the AMD comment I made: each and every reply you made comes back to this. Once again, I was trolling - simple as that. If you feel insecure around the AMD thing, I'd suggest you spend some time ID'ing a post that takes the p*** out of someone or better still recognize someone that has spent copious amounts of time giving the ill informed or self proclaimed "geniuses" a hard time on this forum - like I'm doing now to you.

Anonymous
19 March 2010 21:08:41

Well mr Vokof,

"Once again, I was trolling - simple as that. "

You have just posted that you were trolling, REPORTED!!!
21 October 2010 06:20:49

What's happening here? I see that the last post is showing as by youth4ever but I can't see the post!
21 October 2010 06:30:38

I know, I just removed the flag, the guy must have deleted it after posting or something like that.
21 October 2010 07:00:04

You not going to come over an play with Wingy on SA?
10 November 2010 16:59:19

This topic has been closed by Buwish