read/write error on smart media, advice please

I have a fuji finepix 2800 camera, its been great till earlier this year.
I suddenly started to get errors after I had taken a photo..and the photo
could not be displayed on the viewer ( or subsequently downloaded to the
pc) and the viewer said read error. This happened while I was away on
holiday
Camera is about 2 years old, I tried both new batteries and a brand new
smart media card , still had the same problem.
Could this have been an effect of the heat while I was away? ( I was in
Death Valley for some of the time and it was hot!) Is it likely to have
been dust in the card slot? More likely to be a fault in the camera than
the media cards?

I have been told I can get a cleaner kit for the slot and the cards, does
anyone have any experience of these please?

Lots of questions, I know, but I am loath to spend out for a new camera,
without trying to find out what has caused the problem on this one. Any
advice appreciated

thanks in advance

--
Ticketty᧧
4 answers Last reply

    Tickettyboo wrote:
    > I have a fuji finepix 2800 camera, its been great till earlier this
    > year. I suddenly started to get errors after I had taken a photo..and
    > the photo could not be displayed on the viewer ( or subsequently
    > downloaded to the pc) and the viewer said read error. This happened
    > while I was away on holiday
    > Camera is about 2 years old, I tried both new batteries and a brand
    > new smart media card , still had the same problem.
    > Could this have been an effect of the heat while I was away? ( I was
    > in Death Valley for some of the time and it was hot!) Is it likely to
    > have been dust in the card slot? More likely to be a fault in the
    > camera than the media cards?
    >
    > I have been told I can get a cleaner kit for the slot and the cards,
    > does anyone have any experience of these please?
    >
    > Lots of questions, I know, but I am loath to spend out for a new
    > camera, without trying to find out what has caused the problem on
    > this one. Any advice appreciated

    Use a different set of freshly charged batteries.

    Try reformatting the card in your camera. If you are using a card reader,
    run DiskCheck and see if any errors occur when reading the card when it is
    outside the camera.

    I doubt very much that dirty contacts are causing a problem.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    "Tickettyboo" <tickettyboo@mail2oops.com> wrote in message
    >I have a fuji finepix 2800 camera, its been great till earlier this year.
    > I suddenly started to get errors after I had taken a photo..and the photo
    > could not be displayed on the viewer ( or subsequently downloaded to the
    > pc) and the viewer said read error. This happened while I was away on
    > holiday
    > Camera is about 2 years old, I tried both new batteries and a brand new
    > smart media card , still had the same problem.
    > Could this have been an effect of the heat while I was away? ( I was in
    > Death Valley for some of the time and it was hot!) Is it likely to have
    > been dust in the card slot? More likely to be a fault in the camera than
    > the media cards?
    >
    > I have been told I can get a cleaner kit for the slot and the cards, does
    > anyone have any experience of these please?
    >
    > Lots of questions, I know, but I am loath to spend out for a new camera,
    > without trying to find out what has caused the problem on this one. Any
    > advice appreciated
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > --
    > Ticketty᧧

    You may well have accumulated some dirt in the slot in 2 years. Try blowing
    it out with canned air. I haven't used any special cleaners in a camera
    slot, but I have had need to blow out some dirt.

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:59:01 +0100, "Tickettyboo"
    <tickettyboo@mail2oops.com> wrote:

    >I have a fuji finepix 2800 camera, its been great till earlier this year.
    >I suddenly started to get errors after I had taken a photo..and the photo
    >could not be displayed on the viewer ( or subsequently downloaded to the
    >pc) and the viewer said read error. This happened while I was away on
    >holiday
    >Camera is about 2 years old, I tried both new batteries and a brand new
    >smart media card , still had the same problem.
    >Could this have been an effect of the heat while I was away? ( I was in
    >Death Valley for some of the time and it was hot!) Is it likely to have
    >been dust in the card slot? More likely to be a fault in the camera than
    >the media cards?
    >
    >I have been told I can get a cleaner kit for the slot and the cards, does
    >anyone have any experience of these please?
    >
    >Lots of questions, I know, but I am loath to spend out for a new camera,
    >without trying to find out what has caused the problem on this one. Any
    >advice appreciated
    >
    >thanks in advance

    I suspect an electronic failure. Send it in for repair.

    Pj

    In news:bkfsn0d6lkqqoplictov7eb5fugmn7s6pe@4ax.com,
    PJX whispered softly in my ear ....:
    >> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:59:01 +0100, "Tickettyboo"
    >> <tickettyboo@mail2oops.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a fuji finepix 2800 camera, its been great till earlier this
    >>> year. I suddenly started to get errors after I had taken a
    >>> photo
    <snip>
    >> I suspect an electronic failure. Send it in for repair.

    Thanks to you all for replying, I will ring Fujji and see how much it will
    cost to repair it, maybe I'll get a new one and pass this one on ( when
    repaired) to my daughter

    --
    Ticketty᧧

Cameras Peripherals